Motoring Discussion > Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 21

Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - rtj70
Driving earlier today and the TPMS said check the right passenger side tyre. I was a few hundred yards from home as it happens so parked up at home. Yep tyre pretty flat. So it went down quickly. It's the bog standard TPMS so no monitoring/display of actual pressures.

Checked the local two Kwik-Fit places for waiting times and got it sorted (repaired) within the hour. But had I not had TPMS I would not have known there was a screw in that tyre. It drove as normal being front wheel drive.

So a thank you to the EU for trying to make TPMS standard on all cars.

My mileage has been low with this car... looks like it will be around 24k miles when it goes back or thereabouts after 3 years. Still has all the original tyres and the front have plenty of life in them. If this was a diesel they'd have been swapped a lot earlier I think.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 31 Aug 17 at 19:57
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Dog
First time I came across TPMS was when I drove my CR-V home from the dealer I bought it from.

I hadn't got more than a couple of miles down the A30 when I had this 'ere dashboard warning light come on.

I had no idea what the warning light was for but, being as I'm a highly in telly gent, I worked out that as the light was yellow it couldn't be THAT important, so I just ignored it and carried on with my journey.

8-)

Turns out said dealer had fitted a new tyre to the jalopy ... and over inflated it.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Mike H
>> But had I not had TPMS I would not have known there was
>> a screw in that tyre. It drove as normal being front wheel drive.
>>
Really? Perhaps it was because you were in traffic, but an FWD car with a rear puncture normally wanders. It was easy to spot in our Saab without TPMS on the M4.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - R.P.
Saved my bacon on my old BMW (bike) - I usually have the OBC in temperature mode - it switched to tyre pressure warning and I could see the pressure in the rear wheel going down gradually and a big red warning triangle and graphic message flashed up. No bike or car should be without it.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - rtj70
I did only drive it about a mile after the light came on. And mostly in traffic. And I did pump it up before driving it to the tyre place.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 31 Aug 17 at 22:34
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Ted

The RAV4 monitoring system warned me this morning that the F/N/S tyre was a bit low before she opened the door and got in.

I might pop to National and get it looked at tomoz....then again, I might not. I always carry a pump anyway...liberated from a written off Fiesta. Thinking on, I might get them to look at the spare as well, it's usually flat but I can't be arrissed unlocking the cover and removing the extra tie-wrap to check it.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Fenlander
Mrs F's CLK of the past two weeks is the first car we've owned with the system. It is switched off at the moment but now we have its new rear tyres to match the fronts and have sorted the pressures that suit us I'm going to enable it this weekend.

I'll be interested to test it to see how little loss it will detect.
Had a few false alarms with the TPMS on my CR-V when I first got it, with the ole woman phoning saying
"woss this warning symbol that's just come up on the dashboard".

I had to reset it 3 times but it appears to have settled down now.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - helicopter
Took me a couple of hours to reset the tpms on my CRV after putting on two new front tyres.

The process was not helped by me somehow accidentally selecting Russian as the language on the system display ....I then had to work out how to get it back to English before I could get back to setting the tpms.

Sometimes I think todays cars systems are just too complicated.

>>Sometimes I think todays cars systems are just too complicated.

Indeed. I had some fun, initially, resetting my TPMS 'til I got the hang of it. My trouble is I rarely if ever RTFM, comes from spending 14 years at the roadside, in all weathers, diagnosing faults on anything from an Alfa to a Zavasta.
Complication is the price of safety.....you need to know you car's systems these days. Twenty minutes spent with the manual on your drive or wherever (just avoid the dogging sites) should brief you. Wherever I've picked up a new car or bike in recent years there's been a basic safety briefing before (Last year's Scrambler was the best "5 gears, no ABS and a crap light" was the briefing) it's then up to the individual to self brief.
>>Sometimes I think todays cars systems are just too complicated.

Had a squeak from the alternator drive belt on Monday morgen, so I thought I'd better give the battery a charge.

Charged it on Tuesday afternoon once the rain had ceased. Handbook said to disconnect the terminals first.

= No clock/radio/sat naff/reversing camera this Wednesday morn, ole woman not best pleased :)

I'll enter the codes layder on ... if I can find them. Never had this faff on my ole Scooby.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - CGNorwich
Never had the need to charge a car battery since about 1980. Really not necessary these days.
>>Really not necessary these days.

Tis if yoos don't use the car much. Battery is 7 years old too.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - VxFan
>> Tis if yoos don't use the car much.

Or if broken down at the roadside with hazards on for a long period of time, like I was once on the side of the A34 waiting over 2½ hours for the RAC to arrive. The battery was less than 6 months old.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Sep 17 at 12:44
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Hard Cheese
>> Had a squeak from the alternator drive belt on Monday morgen, so I thought I'd
>> better give the battery a charge.
>>

>> = No clock/radio/sat naff/reversing camera this Wednesday morn, ole woman not best pleased :)
>>

To be fair that's cos yaw treating a modern car like a '50's Morris Minor ...
>>To be fair that's cos yaw treating a modern car like a '50's Morris Minor ...

I'd rather have a Morris Traveller TBH. I used to tune one for a woman in Delboy's manor back in the 80's.
Fully restored + recon engine. I used to just luv the sound it made when pulling away.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Mike H
>> Had a few false alarms with the TPMS on my CR-V

Ours nearly always throws a false alarm when we hit the motorway with a loaded car on the way to the UK. I guess it's the tyres heating up, although as the CRV system is ABS-based you'd have thought that all the tyres would heat up and all be spinning at the same speed....and it takes a while to remember how to recalibrate it each time with the ludicrously complex set of computer on the CRV!
>>Ours nearly always throws a false alarm when we hit the motorway with a loaded car on the way to the UK. I guess it's the tyres heating up

Yup! .. I've noticed that too. Tyre pressures increase when the tyres heat up, to be expected of course.

What probably upset my system, is the fact that the dealer I bought the car from fitted a Chinese "Three A Ecosaver" to the rear, whereas the other 3 tyres are Dunlop Grandtrek.

I would have paid the extra for a Dunlop tyre if they had asked me, I wont bother changing it now though because I don't cover many miles these days, and of course, there aren't any M ways in Cornwall.

Bad cess to you Hawkins Motors (as Lud would say) www.hawkins.co.uk/
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Bromptonaut
>> Had a few false alarms with the TPMS

Miss B and her fiance have a 17 Octavia Estate with TPMS. An irreparable puncture last month meant tyre replacement like/like (Michelin I think). Since then they've had false alarums from TPMS. He's an engineer so can presumably RTFM/sort it.

I did however have to offer strong advice that it WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA to stop and examine on hard shoulder of M5.
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - sherlock47
"He's an engineer so can presumably RTFM/sort it. "

An engineer read the handbook? Bah Humbug :)
Used the bike for work last week. On getting out of the garage and after a quick visual rode off. The TPMS armed quickly and a massive red light flagged a problem the accompanying read out showed front tyre was down to 38 (as opposed to 42) psi. Quick decision to carry on and as the journey continued the pressure notched up high enough to clear the warning. Topped it up when I got home. Rode off the next morning found that the tyre was showing 50psi. Stopped in the first lay by left the engine running and let some air our "real time" reporting let me see the pressure as it dropped - the lag being a second or so. Great systems. Lesson here was not to trust the compressor gauge and to double check with proper gauge !
Latest Forum Posts