Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 29

Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-41123148

In a Beetle. Probably be fined an hour's pay or less.
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Bromptonaut
>> In a Beetle. Probably be fined an hour's pay or less.

Assuming guilt he'll still get points and the mandatory ban but even then paying a driver isn't going to cause him any grief.
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - legacylad
Being Lpool it had to be a Beetle
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - R.P.
:-)
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Duncan
I thought he played for Manchester?
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - smokie
SWMBO read about this on Mail Online. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4845492/Office-worker-29-prosecco-vodka-Wayne-Rooney.html

Colleen has a lot to put up with doesn't she...

Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Zero
>> >> In a Beetle. Probably be fined an hour's pay or less.
>>
>> Assuming guilt he'll still get points and the mandatory ban but even then paying a
>> driver isn't going to cause him any grief.

I can assure you, being caught driving a beetle is going to cause him a shed load of grief both on and off the field. The football chant lyricists are going to be having a field day.
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - henry k
>> I can assure you, being caught driving a beetle is going to cause him a shed load of grief
>> both on and off the field.
>> The football chant lyricists are going to be having a field day.
>>
Will the tabloids dare publish the lyrics ?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41298649
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Fenlander
Court should have slapped a few quid more on top for attempted tramping* under the influence.

*With apologies top Pat for slight misuse of the term.
Expect some bling on Autotrader ?
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Harleyman
Two year ban is right.

£170 costs and 100 hours unpaid community work isn't; not because it is lenient, but because the judge has completely undermined a perfect way to get the message across about earnings-related fines.

AFAIK there is no restriction whatsoever on the maximum fine which can be imposed. Even £10,000 is small change to a bloke who is reputed to earn over thirty grand a week; it would however have sent out a stronger message to his legion of young and impressionable admirers, who will now assume that if the grovel enough they'll get away with similar.

Had it been me who was that much over the limit I would (quite rightly) lose my licence, my livelihood and my future. As it is, this will be a small inconvenience to Mr. Rooney, even if he has to pay for his own chauffeur he'll save part of the money by not having to pay his own car insurance for a while.

And I don't care how sorry he was either. So was I when I got done in 1992; in similar circumstances inasmuch as I'd done nothing wrong driving-wise, and co-operated fully with the police. Didn't stop me copping a year's ban and a £200 fine back then, and I was only half a pint over the limit not three blooming times!

I do hope, though, for his own sake, that like me he learned the lesson.

Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 18 Sep 17 at 13:31
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - sooty123
Didn't think we had earning related fines in the UK?
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - VxFan
>> Didn't think we had earning related fines in the UK?

Earning related fines recently came in for speeding.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894

>> Earning related fines recently came in for speeding.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894
>>

Ah, perhaps not applicable in this case then. However my original point still stands; community service is still viewed by many as a cop-out.

As a comparison, the culprit here (again rightly) got locked up for eiight months. You could I suppose argue that his was the more reckless offence, although nobody got hurt here either; on the other hand both he and Rooney chose to ignore the consequences of getting caught, yet one of them's in jail.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-41306906
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - rtj70
>> a bloke who is reputed to earn over thirty grand a week

More like £150k a week. Apparently Everton will 'fine' him two weeks wages, so he will lose a few hundred thousand in earnings.
>>Had it been me who was that much over the limit I would (quite rightly) lose my licence, my livelihood and my future.
Rather than get two week pay docked.
>> As it is, this will be a small inconvenience to Mr. Rooney, even if he has to pay for his own chauffeur
That will I suspect be required to take him to his new job with the road sweepers ?:-)
>> he'll save part of the money by not having to pay his own car insurance for a while.
No problem, that is just money.
Can one assume that either he has insurance to drive any car or else the owner of the old beetle has suitable insurance ?

I see it is reported that attending a short course should halve his driving ban and also a suggestion that one more drink might have got him a suspended jail term
>> Can one assume that either he has insurance to drive any car

If he is fully comp on his own insurance, then he should be covered to drive other cars not belonging to him third party only.
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - tyrednemotional
>> If he is fully comp on his own insurance, then he might be covered to
>> drive other cars not belonging to him third party only.
>>

...corrected ;-)

Given that this facility was routinely removed by some insurers, it would be best if no-one assumed this is the case.

It disappeared off SWMBO's policy in the past, though it is on both our current policies (and I think deleting it is now less common).

My son's policy, however, with the same insurer, does not carry "driving other cars" rights.

>> Given that this facility was routinely removed by some insurers, it would be best if
>> no-one assumed this is the case.
>>
>> It disappeared off SWMBO's policy in the past, though it is on both our current
>> policies (and I think deleting it is now less common).
>>
>> My son's policy, however, with the same insurer, does not carry "driving other cars" rights.
>>
>>

It's always best to assume it doesn't exist. Likewise with motorcycle insurance, the facility to ride other peoples' bikes has largely disappeared; more disturbingly if I require "passenger cover" I have to specify it. I had always assumed that any legally carried passenger in or on any motor vehicle was automatically covered.
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - No FM2R
>>I had always assumed that any legally carried passenger in or on any motor vehicle was automatically covered.

I suspect that it is the extent of that cover.

>> Had it been me who was that much over the limit I would (quite rightly)
>> lose my licence, my livelihood and my future. As it is, this will be a
>> small inconvenience to Mr. Rooney,

And therein is the (lack of) consequences that allowed him to do it. His job is not driving, lack of the right to drive will affect him not one jot. There is little in the way of penalty or punishment short of jail, that will have any affect on him. And jail is too high a price to pay for being a dick.

However, being over the limit with a tart in tow might be a whole new ball game. The tart consequences might be very much worse.
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Haywain
"However, being over the limit with a tart in tow might be a whole new ball game"

Don't worry, Mr Rooney will be reminded of his transgressions by the opposing supporters every time he goes out onto a football pitch.
>> "However, being over the limit with a tart in tow might be a whole new
>> ball game"
>>
>> Don't worry, Mr Rooney will be reminded of his transgressions by the opposing supporters every
>> time he goes out onto a football pitch.

I'm thinking of the possibly ex mrs Rooney and the x Rooney kids and their share of over half the Rooney fortune.
>> I'm thinking of the possibly ex mrs Rooney

From what I read in the papers yesterday, Mrs Rooney has all but forgiven him because the girl in question has had her gold digging eye on several footy players just lately and Wayne was one of the unfortunate ones to fall under her spell. i.e. she wasn't specifically targeting Wayne, he was just like most men in letting his dick rule his brain.
For all their apparent media sins (nevitable given their status in the world of chav) it strikes me that Mr. and Mrs. Rooney are a pretty solid couple. I suspect her view might well be that whilst the bloke is a bit of a prat, he's her pra and she could do a lot worset. I think there's more than money keeping them together; so for that good luck to them.

>> i.e. she wasn't specifically targeting Wayne, he was just like most men in letting his
>> dick rule his brain.

Doesn't need to be that big then.
>>I'm thinking of the possibly ex mrs Rooney and the x Rooney kids and their share of over half the Rooney fortune.

There may well be another opportunity :-(

Rooney's BMW i8 electric supercar is put up for sale on Auto Trader for £65,000 after he was banned from the road for drink driving.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5301947/Evertons-Wayne-Rooney-puts-car-sale-Auto-Trader.html
 Volkswagen Beetle - Own Goal - Bobby
>>He has now sold it to an approved BMW dealership in Blackpool, which is advertising it on Auto Trader for £64,995.

Totally contradicts their own headlines! He has sold it to a dealer. He is not selling it on Auto Trader.
Latest Forum Posts