Motoring Discussion > Another Darwin award? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 17

Another Darwin award? - henry k
www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/south_essex_news/15518313.Car__explodes__in_car_park/
 Another Darwin award? - Bromptonaut
Using an aerosol in (a) a confined space and (b) while smoking. Having messed about with aerosols as flame throwers when in my teens I'd know the risks. Not sure how far it's general knowledge that propellant is often butane.

I blame the teachers.......:-P

Another Darwin award? - Ateca chris
Should of. Only blown the b***** doors off.

Il get my coat
 Another Darwin award? - Falkirk Bairn
DT- ""Very loud bang. Ford Focus doors, windscreen, roof blown out. B&Q staff rushing....."

B&Q staff rushing! - Never thought I'd hear that!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Thu 7 Sep 17 at 08:49
 Another Darwin award? - Cliff Pope
It's an error to assume that natural selection only requires the survival of safety-conscious people who always obey instructions and read the manual.
For a society to progress it also needs risk takers and experimenters, so it would be a major flaw in the theory if risk-taking genes were bred out of the pool.

It's easy to sneer at the foolhardy who blow themselves up, but some major advances in knowlege have been made by them. Think of Benjamin Franklin and the kite in the thunderstorm, or medical pioneers who have experimented on themselves.
>>For a society to progress it also needs risk takers and experimenters
I agree

>> It's easy to sneer at the foolhardy who blow themselves up.
Foolhardy is not the word I would use to describe what happened.
Sneering might include a female and Essex as published in some reports :-(
 Another Darwin award? - VxFan
>> It's easy to sneer at the foolhardy who blow themselves up,

But was it an accident rather than deliberate?

The comments section mention "It was an air freshener can, a large one and it was faulty. no fault of the person. the air freshener was leaking before lighting a fag" (I've edited the original comment posted by Sharon696969 to make more readable)
 Another Darwin award? - Hard Cheese
>> original comment posted by Sharon696969 to make >>

Perhaps she was born in '69, hmm ...
 Another Darwin award? - Cliff Pope
True, it wasn't a brave experiment to extend the frontiers of human knowledge.
But it would surely not be unreasonable to assume that an air freshner for use indoors or in a car would not use an inflamable propellant?
Or was she testing her newly-purchased butane flame torch?
 Another Darwin award? - Bromptonaut
>> But it would surely not be unreasonable to assume that an air freshner for use
>> indoors or in a car would not use an inflamable propellant?

I raised that question at post #2. I know that and you know that but I wonder what a straw poll of random people from a Clapham Omnibus would say. If I was in the office I'd ask but I'm working solo on and outreach today. Suspect though that it's beyond general knowledge of a fair chunk of society.

Coverage suggests can was faulty and leaking but then you'd think customer would notice smell/hear hissing. Or maybe she did.
 Another Darwin award? - VxFan
>> but then you'd think customer would notice smell/hear hissing. Or maybe she did.

Not if she had no sense of smell or was hard of hearing. Mine you, if she had no sense of smell, what would be the point of buying air freshener?
>>Coverage suggests can was faulty and leaking
I must have lead a sheltered life as in normal circumstances I have never experienced a leaking aerosol or anyone reporting such an event.
 Another Darwin award? - Manatee
Hydrocarbons are the default propellant for aerosols. Always assume flammability.
 Another Darwin award? - No FM2R
I would have thought that using an aerosol while smoking was really very low risk.

Using an aerosol whilst lighting a cigarette on the other hand.......
 Another Darwin award? - Manatee
When spraying propane or butane about, an explosive mixture is more likely in a small confined space. Ideally a car
 Another Darwin award? - CGNorwich
It's even more dangerous inhaling butane for a high whilst in a confined space especially if you then decide to light up a spliff.
 Another Darwin award? - MD
Is that LL's focarse?
"The US Geological Survey has responded to a social media query on whether it is safe to roast marshmallows over a volcanic vent."

Where do they breed them ?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44294418
Latest Forum Posts