Motoring Discussion > Renewing my oldies licence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 44

Renewing my oldies licence - henry k
The form to be filled in arrived but said " its easy to do it online " .
I honestly filled it in, got a reference number but no new licence
I had ticked the box saying yes I had a plastic version which I eventually found still stuck to the previous DVLA letter.
Next a letter from the DVLA saying cut the plastic job up and return it.
Meanwhile I just have an electronic version but no plastic job.

By the time I need to renew it again I will probably have forgotten where the yet to arrive licence is ;-)
 Renewing my oldies licence - stan10
Haven't seen any info, so just a guess, but has the physical licence gone the same way as the physical tax disc ?
 Renewing my oldies licence - No FM2R
Perhaps it is connected with the removal of the paper counterpart that the licences were originally implemented with.

I know I had to change mine a couple of years ago, just as the paper counterparts were being withdrawn and the nice lady advised me to wait a month so that I could get one of the new ones..

I did then receive an electronic copy of the data AND a new plastic one in the post.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 9 Sep 17 at 19:50
 Renewing my oldies licence - stan10
" .. wait a month so that I could get one of the new ones.. "

Given a driver's age, it's possible that it would arrive too late ! :-)

Nice to know that the DVLA is as much on the ball as we motorists are expected to be.

" Tax in post" ??
 Renewing my oldies licence - Harleyman
>> Nice to know that the DVLA is as much on the ball as we motorists
>> are expected to be.
>>
>> " Tax in post" ??
>>

In their defence, they're usually pretty good by the normal standards of government departments.

They are however at the mercy of Royal Mail, who despite all their hype about delivering so many billion items, frequently do so to the wrong address or not at all. I'd chase it up pronto, with DVLA just to cover yourself against the possibility that it's been nicked by a postie. Some might not like that but the fact is, it happens.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 10 Sep 17 at 09:41
 Renewing my oldies licence - No FM2R
I find the DVLA very good. Proactive and efficient. Really helpful when you speak to them, as well.

Maybe it's just because I'm nice.
 Renewing my oldies licence - Stuartli
I find that renewing VED and my driving licence on-line to prove a first class and reliable experience.

It's also helpful that we have a Preston postcode (to indicate where our mail is sorted); the Royal Mail sorting centre in the city has proved both very efficient and prompt with deliveries over many years.
 Renewing my oldies licence - jc2
No problem with DVLA-my problem was with urgent letter put thro' next door's letter box just after they went on holiday for three weeks!
>> No problem with DVLA-my problem was with urgent letter put thro' next door's letter box
>> just after they went on holiday for three weeks!
>>

Which pretty much proves my point above.
>>Which pretty much proves my point above. >>

May well in this case, but you can hardly blame the DVLA no matter which way you look at it.
>> >>Which pretty much proves my point above. >>
>>
>> May well in this case, but you can hardly blame the DVLA no matter which
>> way you look at it.
>>

Read my original post again and you'll see that I don't blame DVLA at all. Royal Mail are by far the biggest culprits when it comes to stuff not getting through.
Agreed, but response was to jc2.....!
>> Agreed, but response was to jc2.....!
>>

You'd quoted my comment!
My new bit of plastic arrived this morning.
I just need somewhere safe to store it for the next three years :)
Then all I need to do is remember that location.
 Renewing my oldies licence - Old Navy
Don't you have a car file for your car related documents? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 16:49
>> Don't you have a car file for your car related documents? :-)
>>
Yes - somewhere
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 17:34
I see your problem, I have a secretary for admin stuff. No, Mrs ON does not read the forum. :-)
>> I see your problem, I have a secretary for admin stuff. ... Mrs ON
>>
That was the situation here but sadly SWMBO can no longer do it and I am now trying to sort things out.
It is taking a while to catch up with the filing and the shredding pile is growing.
>> My new bit of plastic arrived this morning.
>> I just need somewhere safe to store it for the next three years :)
>> Then all I need to do is remember that location.
>>

Your wallet. Simple as that. Technically it is still an offence to be unable to produce your licence at the request of a police officer or other specified official, and if you've got it with you, it saves the hassle of finding a police station that's open and nearby in order to produce your documents.

Add to that the undoubted usefulness of the licence as a form of photographic ID, something more often needed these days.

If this is too much of a bind for you, remember that us vocational drivers have to carry not only our driving licence, but also two other cards as well, the DCPC certification and also the digital tachograph card.
Yes all good suggestions
>> Your wallet. Simple as that.
>> Technically it is still an offence to be unable to produce your licence at the request
>> of a police officer or other specified official, and if you've got it with you,
>> it saves the hassle of finding a police station that's open and nearby in order to produce your documents.
>>
i will take that risk.
I last used my licence five years+ wen we used to travel abroad and hire a car.
Now we never travel.
Locally I can flash my bus pass which has a far better mug shot on it :-)
My local Police station, a mile away is now closed and replaced by a desk in the local civic centre that is even closer to home.
>> Add to that the undoubted usefulness of the licence as a form of photographic ID,
>> something more often needed these days.
>>
I guess it is for many folks but my licence was still stuck to the letter of three years ago and totally unused.
>> If this is too much of a bind for you, remember that us vocational drivers
>> have to carry not only our driving licence, but also two other cards as well,
>> the DCPC certification and also the digital tachograph card.
>>
I understand and respect the need for you with your heavy responsibilities for your vehicle and load/loading etc. As just a car driver I now have a better understanding about the on the road lives of you lorry drivers and have a lot more appreciation for what you do for us...
I thought I carried enough cards , eight various loyalty /membership type cards/key ring tags , Bank, CCs and bus pass.( no NT now). i think I might need a man bag ? :-)
 Renewing my oldies licence - Zero

>> Locally I can flash my bus pass which has a far better mug shot on
>> it :-)

Your bus pass does not have your address on it.

>> I thought I carried enough cards , eight various loyalty /membership type cards/key ring tags
>> , Bank, CCs and bus pass.( no NT now).

So you carry a shed load of fairly useless cards you don't need all the time, but not the license which you do. Its designed to go in your wallet. i cant conceive of any good reason why you stuff it away somewhere. Its the single most useful form of ID going.

>>i think I might need a
>> man bag ? :-)

I have one, a classy Hedgren. For wallet, keys, shades, phone and coins. The wallet only has three cards in it tho, License, Credit Card and Debit card.
 Renewing my oldies licence - Runfer D'Hills
Misnomer alert. "Classy manbag" ?

I think not.
Well its not yellow like your boots
Not all my boots are yellow. I have many other colours. But I don't carry a handbag...
>> Not all my boots are yellow. I have many other colours. But I don't carry
>> a handbag...
Coloured boots, yet you scoff at a manbag
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 22:54
Yeah, y'see, trouble is, it's a handbag. No matter how you try to wrap it up, justify it to yourself or whatever, it's a handbag. But of course it's the 21st century, no shame in it I suppose. Bit weird, but not illegal, so fair enough, I guess...quite a lot weird actually...hey ho...so be it...
 Renewing my oldies licence - legacylad
Manbags. Handbags. FFS we're supposed to be blokes. If I'm carrying that much clutter and I can't stuff it in my trouser/jacket pockets I take a small rucsac....at the last count I had a selection of 12+ assorted sizes.
Walked over into Italy yesterday ( Claviere) so will keep a look out for these fripperies when I walk back into France this morning
 Renewing my oldies licence - tyrednemotional
>> Well its not yellow like your boots
>>

....it sure ain't....

tinyurl.com/manlybag
Very metrosomething.
>>So you carry a shed load of fairly useless cards you don't need all the time,
I use my bank or CC almost every day.

>> but not the license which you do need
>>
I last used it over five years ago and unless I might need to hire a car ( unlikely) why do I need to carry it?

We obviously have different needs.

I have no qualms about carrying my driving licence in my debit/credit cards holder, but there's no way I would keep the car manual, service invoices etc in the glove box as many do.

If the car was stolen, it would make disposing sales wise of the car very easy to achieve in minimal time.
 Renewing my oldies licence - sooty123
>> I have no qualms about carrying my driving licence in my debit/credit cards holder, but
>> there's no way I would keep the car manual, service invoices etc in the glove
>> box as many do.
>>
>> If the car was stolen, it would make disposing sales wise of the car very
>> easy to achieve in minimal time.
>

I'm not so sure, if people are taking say high end cars to clone and sell on. I don't think a lack of a service book will cause them too many worries.
>> I'm not so sure, if people are taking say high end cars to clone and
>> sell on.

He's talking about an weedy underpowered shonky old Jetta.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Sep 17 at 09:19

>> I last used it over five years ago and unless I might need to hire
>> a car ( unlikely) why do I need to carry it?
>>

I thought I'd explained that; technically it's an offence not to be able to produce it at the request of a police officer.

With the greatest respect, and I don't mean this unkindly; I don't think it's your licence that's stuck in the envelope but you who's stuck in your ways. ;-)
I think the key word in your sentence is technically.
 Renewing my oldies licence - Bromptonaut
>> I think the key word in your sentence is technically.

I suspect it's a long time since a motorist, or at least one who passes the attitude test to be prosecuted for that offence alone.Would they even issue a 'producer' anymore as licence, insurance and keepership can all be checked at the roadside?
>> >> I think the key word in your sentence is technically.
>>
>> I suspect it's a long time since a motorist, or at least one who passes
>> the attitude test to be prosecuted for that offence alone.Would they even issue a 'producer'
>> anymore as licence, insurance and keepership can all be checked at the roadside?
>>

The answer's in your own comment. If for any reason the copper thinks you're being unco-operative or if you've done something stupid but not worth booking you for, he could give you the "producer" so that you've been mildly inconvenienced but not fined; sort of like a school detention if you like.

There's another point in your reply; the PNC may well be able to tell the copper whose car it is, and if it's taxed and insured, but without the licence to prove it, how does he check that you are who you say you are?

I still maintain that it cuts out a lot of hassle if you can simply produce the licence on demand. It's not like the old paper licence days when they deteriorated rapidly in a wallet or purse, these new ones are pretty much indestructible in normal use. In fact, I think it ought to be mandatory to carry your driving licence with you when driving. Us lorry drivers can be fined for not doing so; what therefore gives car drivers extra privileges in this respect?
Ive kept mine in my wallet for years. Mainly as an extra form of ID. I travel abroad a fair bit and even if I'm not planning on driving while out of the country, I feel it would be very handy to have in the event of losing my passport. Also, because I'm often, even within this country, quite a distance from home, I might have to hire a car at short notice in the event of problems with my own, or catch an internal flight which may require photo ID. Just easier to have it with me in short.
>> the PNC may well be able to tell the copper whose car it is, and if it's taxed and insured, but without the licence to prove it, how does he check that you are who you say you are?

IIRC i was asked if I wanted a new image of me. I declined so my existing very poor low resolution mug shot was repeated from my previous licence and that was lifted from my passport over 10 years ago so it will be at least 13 years old at next renewal.
I suspect my image will again be acceptable on the next licence
Not a very impressive approach to an ID.

Re a police check, unless " he/she burned the toast that morning or some other such trigger" that caused a bad mood i would bank on a CC, a bank card with a matching name to my bus pass that has a mug shot on it would probably suffice.
 Renewing my oldies licence - Bromptonaut
>> There's another point in your reply; the PNC may well be able to tell the
>> copper whose car it is, and if it's taxed and insured, but without the licence
>> to prove it, how does he check that you are who you say you are?

FWIW I carry my own in my wallet and got the photocard version purely to facilitate that. As Runfer says it can be useful i/d if you need it for whatever reason. Last produced mine on Monday for driving a courtesy car while the Roomster was in dock for new rear pads and a brake fluid change.

I suspect that at the roadside my possession of a set of bank cards, membership cards for various outfits and an NHS prescription pre-payment card would be sufficient ID unless I was being awkward.
Used mine on Wednesday to collect the pre paid (a gift) tickets for "The making of Harry Potter studio tour". Used it last month as an identity check for the PCP on the Beemer, and twice before that for the test drives. It gets used as ID at least once or twice a month.

There should be a national identity card that includes your driving entitlement.
Use mine once a year at a licence check at work, even then they're only bothered about the print off bit. Apart from that not much at all.
Harleyman.
No offence taken. Polite responses are always appreciated by me.
We both have different requirements.
I assume your livelihood may well depend on always carrying your licence but mine does not.

I like to think I will still pass the attitude test and I have seen my son do the same.

I was last stopped for a driving offence over 40 years ago, overtaking on a pedestrian crossing.
The other car was also stopped and my explanation accepted.
I checked on the Highway Code/ rules and ever since anyone I have discussed pedestrian crossings with ( how boring) treats them safely but does not know the fine detail.

A couple of years ago I was a passenger in my sons M3 convertible when we were blue lighted a few hundred yards from my home.
All was legal and IMO he passed the attitude test and did not start with the classic " I have just bought it an hour ago" which was true.
He was at fault, the number plate which he was relinquishing, had a displaced character.
We were sent on our way.

I thought I had found a possible need for my licence.
Its a proposal to show your ID when voting. I vote by post so I have no idea whatextra I will be required to do.

I think i have found a use re car hire, IF i need to go on an offspring rescue mission.

Henry, I doff my chapeau to you; anyone who can drive safely for over 40 years without being troubled by the law deserves respect and I wish there were more like you.

I did overlook the simplest reason for keeping the card in your wallet, though; that if it's always there, you don't have the faff of looking for it if and when you do need it. If of course you lose your wallet, you also know that you've lost your licence too and can replace it as you would your bank cards etc.

As an aside; this has been discussed before but I always scan both sides of any new licence I receive and file them on me 'puter. DVLA have been known to miss categories off when renewing, and there are documented cases of motorcyclists and vocational drivers having to re-sit tests because, like any other government department, they place the onus of proof on their client and can do no wrong themselves.
Thank you. I am not completely blameless.
I have had one careless " happening " about 10 years go.
I was driving a brand new Audi A4 hire car showing friends around the Capetown region.
At very low speed in a big empty car park i was turning left and managed to reshape the sill and the passenger door on a low concrete bollard. Distracted talking and did I have a red face.
The cost to me was £30 admin charge by AVIS.

I have been hit a few times at low speed, including one comprehensive write off but in all cases I was totally blameless.
I will now be more attentive as I have a trip to the London West end this evening.
Latest Forum Posts