Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - opinions? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 13

Mercedes Benz - opinions? - devonite
Would this be worth considering? - taking the No Plate sale into account, £400 for a Merc!

www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1514838305248384
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - PeterS
Well, £400 for a working car isn't much, so what's the worst that can happen...?!?!
Though, CLKs of that generation can rust (though at a glance that one isn't at the usual places of bonnet/wings...) I quite liked that engine in the SLK, but it does need revving to wring out the performance. But a CLK is more of a wafty kind of car. Those wheels aren't original to the car I don't think, though they are MB wheels.

I'd go for it if I liked it, but then I'm rather impulsive when it comes to cars...
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - Harleyman
Trouble with stuff like that is if it does go wrong it can be hideously expensive to fix, and they don't tend to be cheap to insure either.

My view on bangernomics is if it lasts you a year as it is, and you can keep it going for another year for less than a couple of hundred quid, you've won.

Quite a handsome looking motor, but silver Mercs are SO common. ;-)
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - Robin O'Reliant
If it lasts the ten months of the MoT you've suffered less depreciation than the buyer of a new car does before he even closes the door.
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - Dog
Depends howl it's bin looked after. My German lady had a 230CE (W123) from new, had it regularly serviced
(she had a thing about oil changes), even had it changed on our 10,000KM in two weeks trip around Europe.
Sold it to an Israeli bod at 250,000m who came up from Londinium forrit.
Just done a quick "Go Compare" and cheapest quote for fully comp is £328 so not too bad! - will ask permission when the "Boss" comes home, and see if she fancies a Sunday run!
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - No FM2R
I'd certainly go and have a look, and probably buy it. just as long as the rust wasn't too obvious or bad.
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - rtj70
Your £400 figure seems to assume the car will be sold without it if you wanted. The advert seems to argue the car is £800 because it includes a £400 private plate. But the plate is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - MD
I had a 320E 1995 vintage that was assembled in SA. All of them had the front struts come up through the wings.
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - No FM2R
I'd have this one like a shot - just so it all worked. [not my post code]

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709159314710
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - Hard Cheese
MB from the mid '90s to early 2000's are renown for rust, some late 90's VWs too, it was down to the quality of steel being used. On the other hand it's rare to see a rusty Renault made after around '97, they were buying very high quality steel to repair their previous reputation.
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - commerdriver
>> it's rare to see a rusty Renault made after around '97, they were buying
>> very high quality steel to repair their previous reputation.
>>
On the other hand, it's rare to see any Renault in the UK from before '97 :-)
I had 2 Renault 16s in the late seventies lovely cars but started rusting before they left the factory.
 Mercedes Benz - opinions? - Harleyman
>> I had 2 Renault 16s in the late seventies lovely cars but started rusting before
>> they left the factory.
>>

Indeed, and they were relatively robust compared to some of that era. I was working in a Renault dealership in the early 1980's at the time of the launch of the Renault 9. The demo model was in the centre of the showroom, and whilst talking to one of the salesmen I leaned on one of the wings, which promptly popped in like a paper bag; thankfully it sprang out again when I took my weight off it and there were no customers present!

As you say the 16 was a lovely car, I had a TS automatic for a while. Renault did produce a few forgettable horrors around that time though, the 14 in particular; as ugly as the Allegro without that car's limited character.

Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 21:33
Well the "Mrs" wouldn't let me go and look at it! - I was told that I only use the Skoda to take the dogs out so there was no point in even trying to tempt myself! - suppose she is right as always, the voice of reason!
Latest Forum Posts