Motoring Discussion > Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 15

Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - bathtub tom
I went to check the details of a '59 plate car and it comes back as taxed and insured, but the MOT comes up with "No details held by DVLA".
It further states :
Date of first registration: December 2009
Date of first registration with DVLA: November 2011

An MOT history check shows:
There was a problem
Check that the registration you entered is correct

Have I found a "funny" car?
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Harleyman
Had a private plate on from new?
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - sooty123
I don't think you can have a private plate from new it'll always have a normal plate first even if just electronically.
Might guess would be an error of some sort or its been imported.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - commerdriver
The error you are seeing is what I get putting in my last car's original registration. It is now owned by my son on a private plate.

It is possible that the 59 plate it now has was not used when the car was last on the road when it had a privater plate and the private plate has been removed and replaced by its original registration.
MOT records will get updated but it might take some time to get through the system.
Last edited by: commerdriver on Mon 18 Sep 17 at 15:58

>> It is possible that the 59 plate it now has was not used when the
>> car was last on the road when it had a privater plate and the private
>> plate has been removed and replaced by its original registration.
>> MOT records will get updated but it might take some time to get through the
>> system.
>>

That's what I meant to say. If the car's original registration has also been used as a cherished number or re-allocated, I'd suspect you'd get an age-related plate not previously issued.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - PeterS
I'm might be wrong, but our Up! went straight onto a private plate from new, and the V5C was issued with it from new. When we took the plate off, the car was assigned an age and region appropriate VRN - whether that had always been there as a 'ghost' number plate I don't know. But I don't think it was consistent with the series of registration numbers issued by Peter Cooper VW in Chichester, where the car cam from at that time
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Timeonmyhands
Wife's Golf had her plate on from new.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Bromptonaut
Our Berlingo is on Mrs B's cherished plate. Search for its original KY63 reg gives same response as in OP. It should though revert to that number if the personal plate is moved to another car.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Zero
Mine will have a personal plate on from new. They are not registered first with a "temporary" number, but when the car is later sold and if the plate is removed, it will be issued with a registration commensurate with its first registration age, DVLA hold a pool of such plates back each period for that purpose.

So if you go poking about in a cars history, specially one thats being sold minus its personal plate, you will be in that "timewarp" till the time and space continuum that is the Swansea computer catches up, and that will be when you register the newly acquired vehicle.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Dave_
>> Date of first registration: December 2009
>> Date of first registration with DVLA: November 2011

Ex-plod or forces car?
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Simon
>> >> Date of first registration: December 2009
>> >> Date of first registration with DVLA: November 2011
>>
>> Ex-plod or forces car?
>>

Or even an import???
>> >> Date of first registration: December 2009
>> >> Date of first registration with DVLA: November 2011
>>
>> Ex-plod or forces car?
>>

That would be the first registration with that number. AFAIK the database doesn't record any previous numbers pertaining to that vehicle. For example, one of my Harleys was taken back to the USA by its then owner, who sold it to me. Once I'd imported it I received a totally different age-related plate, but there's no mention on the V5 that it'd been in the UK before.

Happy to be corrected if anyone else knows different.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - Manatee
No obvious reason for this.

My old MX5 was on a cherished plate from 2013 until 3 weeks before I sold it. It reverted to its original number. Checking the MoT history using its current number shows all the MoTs it had on the cherished plate.

My old Outlander was registered directly with a cherished mark (to the best of my knowledge, sorted by the dealer). It acquired a new number when the plate went on retention. Checking the history on its new number, it is complete.

Possibly just a database error.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - R.P.
All numbers are linked by DVLA, they're bound to be.
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - bathtub tom
Another 'funny' car. Do these people think it's history won't be checked:

5 July 2017
Pass
Mileage 117,872 miles

10 May 2016
Pass
Mileage 137,378 miles

7 May 2015
Pass
Mileage 132,615 miles
 Car registration: "No details held by DVLA" - rtj70
The odometer/speedometer on my wife's car wasn't working for a few years. It's not driven far. I finally fixed it. But there's about 3 years of MOT's with the same mileage ;-) So how did the car get to the MOT station and back... ;-)
Latest Forum Posts