Motoring Discussion > Driving licence - status after disqual? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 5

Driving licence - status after disqual? - smokie
Just watching a police programme, they stopped some guy who had had a ban and hadn't re-applied for his licence when he came off the ban.

I had a two week ban some years back after a bit of excessive speed.

I never re-applied for it, I don't think. It went off for marking up but the Mrs was wondering if I should have done more. I suspect not, as I don't think it was revoked.

Am I right?
 Driving licence - status after disqual? - Dave_
I think the licence only has to be re-applied for if you don't physically have possession of it at the end of the disqualification period. I had a 4-week ban in similar circumstances (youthful exuberance) and the mag. court wrote it on my licence and handed it back, telling me I could resume driving 28 days hence.

IIRC, it didn't affect my insurance premium much either, as it didn't involve points - just a simple ban and fine (of £1.00 per mph!).

I've moved house several times since, and gained and lost a few triplets of points by post, never with any problem.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 18 Aug 10 at 23:11
 Driving licence - status after disqual? - Dwight Van Driver
Short period disqualification (SPD)

If you’re disqualified for less than 56 days, the court will stamp your paper driving licence or counterpart document and give it back to you. The stamp shows the disqualification period and you don’t need to renew your licence. The licence becomes valid and you can return to driving after the disqualification ends.

Disqualification periods of 56 days or more
If you’re disqualified for 56 days or more you’ll need to apply to DVLA to renew your driving licence before you can return to driving.

dvd
 Driving licence - status after disqual? - smokie
Excellent, thanks
 Driving licence - status after disqual? - Robin O'Reliant
Reminds me of an old dear who had lessons with me once. She had passed her test back in the days when a licence was only valid for three years and never got the renewal reminder. She just carried on driving in blissful ignorance for over three decades and it only came to light when she got flashed by a camera and had to send the licence away to have the points added. As he was well in her seventies the magistrates let her off with a minimal penalty and she had to re-take her test, including the theory this time.

She passed at the second attempt, which was a huge relief as she had got in the habit of phoning me up in tears of a night after a few glasses of Blue Nun to tell me how important it was that she could drive and she was relying on me to get her through.
 Driving licence - status after disqual? - Fullchat
Thanks DVD. Got me thinking :-O

Learn something new everyday.
Latest Forum Posts