Motoring Discussion > Police Camera Action. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 19

Police Camera Action. - Pat
Did anyone see it last night?

I really don't want to stir up a hornets nest, but I do have a bit of a vested interest in this episode and would appreciate your views on it.

It would be good to find out the impressions given to the average car driver with no knowledge or experience of lorry driving at all.

Pat

Police Camera Action. - Old Sock
The impressions given from this episode of Traffic Cops might be:

a) Lorry drivers drive too fast for the conditions

b) Lorry drivers are easily distracted by in-cab toys

c) Lorry drivers will lie through their teeth to avoid the consequences of their actions

d) Lorries store a lot of kinetic energy

Whether the same messages would be given out had it been a Fiat Punto ploughing into the back of stationary traffic - who can say?
 Police Camera Action. - Badwolf
Old Sock, I'm not entirely sure of the relevance of your post, as it's not referring to the same programme. I missed Police, Camera, Action as our digibox failed to record it. Does anybody know if it's likely to be repeated?
 Police Camera Action. - hobby
I've just watched the 17/8 episode and its all about car modifications...

Pat, are you sure it was this weeks P,C,A?? Or should it be Traffic Cops as ON said?
Last edited by: hobby on Thu 19 Aug 10 at 12:04
 Police Camera Action. - Old Navy
>> as ON said?
>>

Eh ? Try OS.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 19 Aug 10 at 12:07
OOOPs!
PCA, ITV1 last night at 9 oclock in our region.

Pat
We had Champions League Live at that time!
I think we've got football tonight on Anglia.

Pat
 Police Camera Action. - Dave_
In my Sunday paper TV guide it lists Police Camera Action as being on last night at 9.00pm on ITV1. However the ITV1 Player website shows "UEFA Europa League Live: L..." something from 7.30pm to 10.00pm. I was watching the Dawkins thing about faith schools on More4, and I don't have any form of PVR.

Was this the PCA episode about the Trinity Taylor crash? If so, my feelings on the whole episode are - There but for the grace...
 Police Camera Action. - helicopter
You sure it wasn't Emergency Bikers Pat.....Channel 4 last night at 8 pm

Essex Cops pulling over foreign lorry drivers and scrutinising tachos with the proverbial fine tooth comb......

I was quite sympathetic to the poor sods who had to pay hefty fines and who were being clamped for 11 hours for breaking their correct rest periods by taking five minutes driving on and off ferrys..... just pedantic in my opinion.

Mind you the white van man clocked doing 105 on the A13 ( 45mph over the 60 limit for his vehicle ) deserves all he gets.

Police Camera Action. - Badwolf
The episode of PCA focusing on lorry drivers was definitely on in the Granada region last night. As a driver of large vehicles, I was very interested to see the presenter taking his lorry test but unfortunately our useless PVR had other ideas...
 Police Camera Action. - Old Sock
Sorry, Pat, I thought you were referring to the BBC's Traffic Cops shown on Dave last night. This was about a lorry ploughing into the back of a a stationary Peugeot at the back of a queue on the M3 (I think).

These darned programmes all look the same - a situation not helped by interminable repeats :-(
 Police Camera Action. - BobbyG
Saw bits of it although I have recorded it to watch it fully later.

From the bits I saw I concluded

a. Traffic Police and the authorities are fully aware of the risks coming from foreign lorries but simply don't have the resource to tackle it full on so will continyue with localised "operations"

b. The life of a trucker can be very lonely and isolated. This was highlighted by

i. Lorry drivers willing to drive into these police checks and get their lorries checked over as their bosses are refusing to fix the things and they are being "forced" to drive vehicles that they know are defective.

ii Drivers who, I daresy are not highly paid, been attacked in the middle of the night for their cargo. It highlighted one driver whose load was worth £350k. Now if that was cash or diamonds you wouldn't be slinging it on the back of a cab and leaving it overnight in carparks so why do it with a lorry's load?

I will watch the rest when the missus isn't about watching soap/reality/whatever and see if the program shows a bigger picture!
It was definitely Police Camera Action on ITV but there was a re-schedule of programmes last night in the Anglia region,
It was about lorry drivers and tiredness and the guy who presents it slept in a lorry and only got 4 hours sleep.

There's a clue to see if we all watched the same programme:)

Pat
tinyurl.com/24nlyor

Now it's becoming clearer.

Pat
 Police Camera Action. - borasport
About once a month or so I stay at a budget hotel near an industrial park and take a short cut through the park. There is nearly always a queue of lorries parked up for an overnight, and every time I pass them I think 'theres not a lot that makes premier inn look good, but compared to kipping in a lorry cab right next to the A1...' - it just can't be good for getting a good nights kip
Wentbridge, I bet...........that was probably me, one of my favourite spots!
Lady in the garage lets me in for the loo and coffee all night, and the potholes keep the joyriders away:)

Or maybe Cross Point at Coventry?.......another good one but they put double yellow lines down after 6 Turkish lorries were there for 6 weeks waiting for a back load.
We got to know the drivers well and felt so sorry for them, but the local council wern't amused, and who can blame them really?

Pat

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 19 Aug 10 at 16:58
 Police Camera Action. - borasport
Pat - close, but no cigar :-)

it's the Pontefract North PI, by the A1/M62 junction
 Police Camera Action. - DP
That was my lasting memory of driving through Germany overnight. Every single service area and layby was crammed with trucks parked up for the night. You see it occasionally here, but not to that extent. They were wall to wall in places.
Latest Forum Posts