Motoring Discussion > Online road tax Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Online road tax - Bobby
Quick question.
If friend is picking up new (used) Car on Sat, which is 30th if month, and taxes online via monthly direct debit, will she be charged for a full month for Sept the way you used to get charged in the old days?
Or does the direct debit work from month to month on the date you first took the tax?
 Online road tax - Robin O'Reliant
She'll be charged for the full month. Can't she wait a day?
 Online road tax - Hard Cheese
Tax is paid per full calendar month though the date of the Direct Debit can be anytime in the month.

So they will be charged for all of September if they want it to be taxed to use on the 30th, better to pick up on Sunday ...
 Online road tax - Old Navy
You pay for the month it is registered in. Same as you pay for the month you sell a car in. The DVLA is not daft, they are not going to lose an income opportunity.
 Online road tax - Bobby
Ok cheers guys.
 Online road tax - Falkirk Bairn
A son picked up his 320d 18 mths ago on the 28th..........£20 / yr road tax meant he wasted £1.67.

Different story for Bobby's friend if the RFL is £00s.
 Online road tax - henry k
>>Different story for Bobby's friend if the RFL is £00s.
Indeed. I have just, this week, paid my £520 for a ten year old 2.5L petrol saloon.
Yes it is my choice.
 Online road tax - Falkirk Bairn
>> paid my £520 for a ten year old 2.5L petrol saloon.

I was £280 the other day, neighbours' £30, zero......etc

But my car is roomy, comfy but likes a drink.

I see the latest tax is kinder to a bigger engined car after 5 years - RFL falls back £400 but of little use to you!

Online road tax - Hard Cheese
>> A son picked up his 320d 18 mths ago on the 28th..........£20 / yr road
>> tax meant he wasted £1.67.
>>
>> Different story for Bobby's friend if the RFL is £00s.
>>

Good point!

If I could have a tenner for everyone I have spoken to who has extolled the virtue of their brand spanking new 1.0t eco whatever by saying it's only £30 a year to tax and my last car was £130 - yes and you've paid £20k to save £100 ...
 Online road tax - Cliff Pope
>> yes and you've paid
>> £20k to save £100 ...
>>

And several thousand of that will be gone before you get it home.
You could buy half a dozen £520 cars with the first year's depreciation.
 Online road tax - Roger.
Off topic a bit, but I've just renewed my passport using the on-line gov.uk portal and was hugely impressed how easy it was.
A quick photo on my phone, taken by Dee, which I emailed to my laptop, as that was where I had the application open, filled in a few details , (most of which were auto-filled by Dashlane), a debit card payment of £72.50 and apart from returning my old passport, that was it.
Total time about 15 minutes, including the photo.

Online road tax - Pat
I've just renewed my driving licence online, on Monday to be exact.

I've just had it delivered to me today.

That's what I call service.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts