Motoring Discussion > A good bit of kit. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 16

A good bit of kit. - Old Navy
The sooner it is in widespread use and linked to an enforcement system the better.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4970200/High-tech-roadsign-detect-drivers-use-mobile-phone.html
 A good bit of kit. - Zero
Technically too easy to challenge, so no good for enforcement.
At the moment yes, in days to come who knows. Technology will eventually compensate for the lack of traffic police. Pictures and video linked with phone records can't be too far away.
 A good bit of kit. - commerdriver
>> Technically too easy to challenge, so no good for enforcement.
>>
agree Z, so many possible challenges unworkable for enforcement without good camera technology for the evidence photograph.
Last edited by: commerdriver on Wed 11 Oct 17 at 16:33
 A good bit of kit. - Cliff Pope
There needs to be a much more comprehensive review of all kinds of driver distractions in cars. Mobile phones are just one of many gadgets and controls that drivers have now, and none of directly related to keeping the car safely on the road.
Having had a skim through the online phone minefield it seems that merely having a phone in your hand is an offence. So links to phone records are not necessary except in accident investigation. There are plenty of high definition cameras that could see something in the hand, it need not be a phone if it is affecting vehicle control. I did not realise that phone use by lorry or bus drivers has a maximum fine of £2,500 plus points if you go to court, (£1,000 for car drivers).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 12 Oct 17 at 08:32
 A good bit of kit. - Duncan
>> Having had a skim through the online phone minefield it seems that merely having a
>> phone in your hand is an offence.

I really don't get this.

For around a fiver (less in Poundland), one can purchase a wired earpiece connector thing - even fits iPhone.

There is a little button to turn on/off and adjust volume.

Why would anyone want to mess around holding a phone up to their ear?
 A good bit of kit. - Pat
It's not holding the phone to the ear that is causing the majority of the problems Duncan, it's holding a phone in one hand, low down on your lap or the bottom of the steering wheel where it can't be easily seen, and sending text messages or updating social media.

Not to mention talking photos and videos.

Pat
 A good bit of kit. - henry k
>>t's holding a phone in one hand, low down on your lap or the bottom of the steering wheel where it can't be easily seen,
>>Not to mention talking photos and videos.

Of your lap ? ;-)
 A good bit of kit. - commerdriver
Agree with Duncan, there is really no need to hand hold a phone, hands free kits either wired or bluetooth are cheaply and easily available.
People texting / on social media etc while moving normally need to lose licences.
The fact that, technically, you can be done using a phone while stopped in traffic or at lights etc is a bit silly and probably doesn't help respect for the message much.
 A good bit of kit. - VxFan
>> For around a fiver (less in Poundland), one can purchase a wired earpiece connector thing
>> - even fits iPhone.

>> Why would anyone want to mess around holding a phone up to their ear?

An elastic band is even cheaper ;)

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/20/article-2117417-12349DA8000005DC-228_468x312.jpg

At one time when I used to have a belt clip on the back of my phone case, I used to attach it to the seat belt and put the phone on speaker phone whenever a call came through.
 A good bit of kit. - Manatee
The 'phone detector' looks a bit half-baked to me. I can't see them catching on, although they might appeal to some parish councils - ours has an enthusiasm for smiley speed signs.

Drivers generally manage their own distractions. Those who don't will have accidents whether they have a phone, a satnav, a crying baby, or not. If using a handheld phone was intrinsically dangerous there would be a wrecked builder's van on every corner.

The car I have just bought has its controls for phone, 'entertainment', navigation, etc on a 7" touch screen and/or a couple of knobs by the hand brake. The touch facility does not operate above 6mph, when the 'commander' knob has to be used as a joystick to type etc. If I was so minded it would be just as easy, if not easier, to distract myself with that lot as with a handheld phone whose functions are very familiar.

It does have voice control but most owners won't get as far as reading the manual to see how that works.

I agree with Pat - it's the Facebookers etc. who worry me most. Easy to spot on a motorway as you pass them. If they were just having a conversation and looking where they were going I could believe they were paying attention, but not when they are typing/reading messages.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 12 Oct 17 at 10:18
 A good bit of kit. - Hard Cheese
>> Drivers generally manage their own distractions. Those who don't will have accidents whether they have a phone, a satnav, a crying baby, or not. >>

There's some sense in that.

>> If using a handheld phone was intrinsically dangerous there would be a wrecked builder's van on every corner.>>

If that's intended as humorous then fine ... though it is clearly dangerous to be using a phone when driving, it's not so much the physical action, rather the distraction, that much of the individuals (often limited) mental ability is directed to phone rather than road.

>> a 7" touch screen and/or a couple of knobs by the hand brake. >>

The problem is usually the knob behind the wheel.

>> It does have voice control but most owners won't get as far as reading the manual to see how that works. >>

Does that translate to "I have not read the manual"?
 A good bit of kit. - Manatee

>> Does that translate to "I have not read the manual"?

No...I am an avid manual reader. I like discovering useful features that I would never find otherwise. But it's very obvious that most people don't. Half the people I know clearly can't work their ventilation system.
Phone use detection by camera is never going to be practical and incontrovertible in my life time.
 A good bit of kit. - CGNorwich
Sorry to hear that Zero. You mustn't give up hope.
My life time will be long and fruitful. Enforcement of phone use by camera won't.
Latest Forum Posts