Motoring Discussion > Ford Powershift Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 19

Ford Powershift - Bobby
Anyone knowledgeable enough to know when Ford introduced the wet clutches to their Powershifts?

I really really like the look of this car, defo want an automatic, but know there is a history of problems with their dry clutches and they recently switched to wet?

www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/ford/focus/1-5-tdci-120-titanium-x-5dr-powershift/2015/ref/arnel-u-566543
 Ford Powershift - Manatee
Hi Bobby. I know not a lot about powershift, so in the finest traditions of C4P, here's an irrelevant answer -

www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/used-cars/7657166-mazda-3-2-0-se-l-nav-5dr-auto/

No turbo, proper automatic, 2.5 years warranty remaining, petrol. Apart from that, just what you want:)

Actually I was surprised to see there are very few Mazdas in Scotland, comparatively speaking.
 Ford Powershift - rtj70
I'd take the Mazda over the Ford too. I don't particularly like Ford's and the Mazda has a proper torque converter gearbox (with lockup).
 Ford Powershift - R.P.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

Some info here. Not sure whether the one on my old Volvo was Powershift. It was a six speed box and dreadful, especially compared to the BMW's excellent box, it spoilt the car foe me
 Ford Powershift - Bobby
Sorry Manatee but Mazdas just do not float my boat in any shape or form.
 Ford Powershift - Falkirk Bairn
Ford Kuga have switched to TQ autos in the last few months only!
 Ford Powershift - Hard Cheese
I'd take a Focus over the Mazda 3, though I'd have a manual 1.5t petrol, 150 or 180 bhp.
 Ford Powershift - Zero
Having done in multiple clutches on your previous cars, My money is on the powershift lasting longer :)
 Ford Powershift - Bobby
Just the one zero....

Edit , two actually
 Ford Powershift - Boxsterboy
Our 2010 S-Max had a Powershift box. It was one of the first facelift S-Maxes (indeed it was a press car that was in a number of magazines!). No trouble in 7 years/70,000 miles, although it was never as smooth as the DSG in my Transporter. Don't know if it had a wet or dry clutch ! :-)
 Ford Powershift - Hard Cheese
>> Our 2010 S-Max had a Powershift box. It was one of the first facelift S-Maxes
>> (indeed it was a press car that was in a number of magazines!). No trouble
>> in 7 years/70,000 miles, although it was never as smooth as the DSG in my
>> Transporter. Don't know if it had a wet or dry clutch ! :-)
>>

HJ always used to report Powershift as smoother than DSG, though either way I bet the S-Max engine lasted longer than the Transporter's ...
>> I bet
>> the S-Max engine lasted longer than the Transporter's ...
>>

YES!!
 Ford Powershift - Maisie's Dad
My understanding is that the TDCi always had wet clutches in the PowerShift, which is why it is not included in the recent transmission warranty extension.

I have a 2011 petrol Focus and just had the clutches replaced under warranty.
 Ford Powershift - Runfer D'Hills
One of our reps had a Powershift Mondeo diesel estate which we ran up to 160,000 without problems. Good car actually. Conversely, another guy had a Passat DSG which did have gearbox problems as did the Insignia auto a third one had. They've all got Mondeos now...
 Ford Powershift - Bobby
Are the Mondeos Powershifts though??
 Ford Powershift - Bobby
My next car is definitely an automatic and I have got a hankering for a Merc - either a B Class or a C Class estate. B Class isnt a popular car and seems to depreciate heavily into my budget range after 2 or so years but then dont depreciate too badly after that .

The C Class to me is just what mercs have always been about from growing up as a kid to now. Each has just been an evolution of the previous model going right back to the 180s etc. But obviously a saloon is no good for a dog so would need to be the estate. But I actually think the Estate looks nicer! I am not a fan of saloon cars, no matter how they try and dress them up they appear to just be 3 rectangular boxes of different sizes stuck together.

But a C Class estate would seriously affect the ability to get 3 cars bumper to bumper in my driveway like we currently do!

However I also like my toys and as has often been the case with Mercedes, to get a car loaded with the toys you want, especially when buying second hand, is a challenge.

I really liked the wife's Fiesta and there is just something about Fords dash layout that I like. But had heard horror stories about their powershifts so they had never featured in my weekly trawl of autotrader doodling! But if there's different issues between dry and wet clutches that could change things.

But you look at the toys list on that Titanium X and it has got every base covered apart from sunroof which isnt really that high on the list of toys. One of the negatives of my current Civic is the bluetooth is awful and Honda know this and can't seem to fix it (not just my car across the whole range). Two friends have Focuses and when calling them on their bluetooth the conversation is crystal clear.

One downside is that I have a 7 year old labrador so I need to make sure whatever car I get is suitable for him and be aware he will get less agile as time goes on. Both the B and C Classes have lowish and flat boot entries whereas the Focus has a deepish boot well. And I don't fancy a Focus estate!

And no Humph, Mondeo is too big!!
 Ford Powershift - Zero
>
>> One downside is that I have a 7 year old labrador so I need to
>> make sure whatever car I get is suitable for him and be aware he will
>> get less agile as time goes on.

Dog ramp.
 Ford Powershift - Bobby
Forgot to add Lexus CT is also on list but not sure of the CVT box.
>> Are the Mondeos Powershifts though??
>>

Since 2010, yes. Before that they were TC
 Ford Powershift - Runfer D'Hills
>> Are the Mondeos Powershifts though??

Well, they're current model autos so I guess so. Drive well. Nice cars.
Latest Forum Posts