Motoring Discussion > Insignia. Car Deals
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 24

Insignia. - R.P.
www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/insignia/98921/new-vauxhall-insignia-grand-sport-2017-review-pictures#8

Seen a couple of these around and about. Very sharp looking motors. Might be a good buy after a couple of years.
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
Hmm, a guy around the corner has got one, a hatch, replacing a Mondeo estate as a company motor I think. I was just thinking of posting on here how I feel that they have missed the target design wise, it looks unbalanced in the flesh, particularly the front, well off the mark compared with the 3-Series, A4 etc and a lot less attractive than the latest Mondeo that looks very nice with the bumper/slot type exhausts etc.

The local one is not any where near top of the range AFAIAA, perhaps they might look better with bigger wheels etc.
 Insignia. - Mike Hannon
Cut-price Audi at the front, Citroen C5 at the back. Made by Vauxhall. What's not to like?
 Insignia. - Zero
the latest Mondeo that looks very nice

You are joking, it looks like someone punched it on the nose and the swelling hasn't gone down. It looks like a dead mouldering whale on the beach in side profile
 Insignia. - No FM2R
>> the latest Mondeo that looks very nice

I was driving a Ford Fusion yesterday, a really impressive car. I really liked it.

It looks like is a Mondeo, but I've never driven a Mondeo so I don't know.

www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2018/
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
>> It looks like is a Mondeo, but I've never driven a Mondeo so I don't
>> know.
>>
>> www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2018/
>>

Basically the same car though different engines and chassis setting in different markets IIRC.

I've had a few Fusions as hire cars in the US, a 2.2 4cyl that was not brilliant though otherwise 3.0 V6 autos that were great to drive. Had black one in Portland, Oregon then a few months later I had one in San Francisco that I could have sworn was the very same car, not impossible though it would have been a big coincidence, never got round to checking the paperwork for the reg details etc.
 Insignia. - No FM2R
I don't know what the engine was, but it was certainly pretty powerful, though I was only driving in the city. It was petrol.

Every damn toy you could think of though, and a really nice leather interior.
 Insignia. - PeterS
For what it’s worth I haven’t had a Vauxhall hire car for several years. A shame, as I’d like to try the new Astra again (it looks great and I remember it being a very nice drive) as well as the new insignia which also looks good. But hire fleets are full of Ford and VAG product, as well as MB and BMW. And we have relatively high specc’ed versions of the Audi and BMW, so the hire cars inevitably disappoint as, while familiar, the level of equipment or performance is generally lower. The Fords are almost always the Focus, though the Mondeo does crop up, usually in low spec small engine format. Not to be recommended!
 Insignia. - Zero
>> www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/insignia/98921/new-vauxhall-insignia-grand-sport-2017-review-pictures#8
>>
>> Seen a couple of these around and about. Very sharp looking motors. Might be a
>> good buy after a couple of years.

Very clean design, like it a lot, it looks right on the roads and it should age well.
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
>>
>> Very clean design, like it a lot, it looks right on the roads and it
>> should age well.
>>

www.specsavers.co.uk/
 Insignia. - TheManWithNoName
Yet another dull, mainstream product which will become even duller the more you see it.
Looks like a Mazda 6 clone.

Wake me up when you find a design which is truly cutting edge.....

zzzzzzzzzzzz
 Insignia. - VxFan
There's an SRi in the works car park. It looks massive, which stopped me getting one of the earlier Insignias. This one looks even bigger than the one I was looking at a couple of years ago.

Didn't stop me having a bit of nosey around it though. Nice styling I thought.
 Insignia. - Old Navy
Put a BMW or Mercedes badge on it, it will sell like hot cakes! :-)
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
>> Put a BMW or Mercedes badge on it, it will sell like hot cakes! :-)
>>

Wouldn't do it for me, misses the mark in styling terms.

I liked the look of the mid 90's Vectra with the faired in door mirrors and had a couple as company cars (awful dealers!) though they look their age now, as do the '93 on Mk1 and Mk II Mondeos for that matter.
 Insignia. - Manatee
Looks a lot better than the old one to me.

That TURBO badge would have to go. Makes as much sense these days as SPARK PLUG or CAMSHAFT.
 Insignia. - Bobby
Seen a couple of these on the road - very nice looking car now, probably the first Vauxhall that has appealed to me!
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
>> Seen a couple of these on the road >>

That says it all, 20 years ago every other car would have been a Cavalier or Vectra six months after launch ...
 Insignia. - madf
Boot too shallow.. no use for anything let alone important things like hives of bees..

(not that many buyers will notice that until they try to do the weekly shop... letters to HJ suggest a substantial percentage of the buying public are numpties.)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 19 Dec 17 at 12:53
 Insignia. - DP
Nice looking car. Could be a good one to buy at three years old, for a song.

I'm a long standing Mondeo fan, and have owned a few over the years, but the current one is hideous.
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
>> Nice looking car. Could be a good one to buy at three years old, for
>> a song.
>>
>> I'm a long standing Mondeo fan, and have owned a few over the years, but
>> the current one is hideous.
>>

Strange, I see the current Mondeo as a very tasteful car, though better looking in some specs than others, where as the new Insignia is just dull with slightly strange proportions so it doesn't look quite right from any angle.
 Insignia. - Boxsterboy
>> Strange, I see the current Mondeo as a very tasteful car, though better looking in
>> some specs than others, where as the new Insignia is just dull with slightly strange
>> proportions so it doesn't look quite right from any angle.

You're wrong. DP is right. :-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Dec 17 at 02:29
 Insignia. - Hard Cheese
Another one in need of a trip to Specsavers ...
 Insignia. - PeterS
As a disappointingly frequent hire car user, my experience is that the Mondeo is an all to frequent offer on the hire fleets, and is a poorly resolved design. The more I look at it the more I dislike it. The rear is particularly bad, from the rear door, through the wheel arch, to the bumper / tailgate. It’s incredibly colour sensitive as well. I love bright metallic blue / red, normailly. But they exacerbate the ‘we gave up’ rear quarter view IMO. The insignia knocks the mondeo into a cocked hat on long journeys...it’s far more refined. The mondeo handles better in extremis, but it’s ride is poor on A/B roads. The insignia is, in my experience, the better choice. It’s far easier to,get in and just drive. They are both huge cars though, relative to a Cavalier or Sierra. So just buy a 5 series. It’ll drive and ride better than both. It’ll have better tech, better spec, better performance, better economy and better build quality. It’ll also work out cheaper. The 520d is all the car you’d reasonably ever need. But not necessarily want ;)
 Insignia. - Mapmaker
Anodyne. Looks like any other car on the road. What am I missing?

Who cares; most modern cars are such a good drive.
 Insignia. - spamcan61
Seen a few around and do think they look quite appealing for a modern car; been a rear seat passenger in one a few times and they'r every spacious and comfy in the back; trim miles better than previous generation. Touchscreen operation quite slick; almost tempted myself, then I remember I'm allergic to depreciation ;-)
Latest Forum Posts