Motoring Discussion > TPMS and the MoT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 23

TPMS and the MoT - henry k
www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/latest-news/dont-put-pressure-tpms/

".....number of MoT failures due to faulty TPMS systems rose by over 200% between 2015 and 2016."
 TPMS and the MoT - No FM2R
> the number of MoT failures due to faulty TPMS systems rose by over 200% between 2015 and 2016.

What a rubbish statistic.

in 2015 only cars fitted with TPMS in 2012 would have been MOT'd.
in 2016 cars fitted with TPMS in 2012 and 2013 would have been MOT'd.

All things being equal, that would be about twice as many cars, twice as many TPMS systems, say 200%, though given that TPMS systems were fitted to an increasing proportion of cars, it was probably even more.

So at best, a rise of 200% in MOT failures represents everything staying exactly the same, and actually probably represents a reduction in failure rate
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 14 Oct 17 at 17:15
 TPMS and the MoT - martin aston
Spot-on FM2R.

Misleading in the extreme. The absolute numbers are 23,000 retests in 2016 for TPMS.

There are about 21,000 licensed MOT test centres in the UK.

So each MOT centre sees, on average, just over one failure for TPMS in a year.

Out of millions of MOTs its a tiny failure rate.
Thanks for your info

( I suspected the original figures would get a prompt response )
 TPMS and the MoT - Fenlander
Slight drift...

I've always thought the TPMS a mixed blessing with the amount folks talk of false alarms but...

Mrs F been away for a week in the CLK... returning today. Calls 25mls from home and says she's pulled off the A14 to a petrol station as the tyre pressure warning has come on. I cursed the fact I never set it up after the new rear tyres but just re-enabled it in the menu the other day.... so told her they were often unreliable but to put it on the air line anyway.

She reported back it was one where you set the pressure to auto inflate but didn't show the start figure and off she set again. Phoned from a pull in 10mls from home with the warning on again... said tyres (40 series) looked about normal. I advised to drive at lower speed and pull over at the slightest odd feel to steering... but it was probably a system error.

Arrives home without drama and after a few minutes I put a gauge on a rather sad looking o/s front... oops 10psi.

Lesson learned... I've put a manual gauge in her car and advised in future to trust the system and stop asap to check or change wheel.

Sadly I found a bit of road debris must have gone into it right on the shoulder cutting a few steel cords and lifting a flap of tread so it's scrap... had 5mmm tread too.

Thankfully she's well britched this month so a pair (tread pattern currently fitted no longer available and she wants them identical) of new Dunlops booked online for Halfords on Wed.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 15 Oct 17 at 00:23
 TPMS and the MoT - Dog
>>she's well britched this month

Britched??
 TPMS and the MoT - jc2
Used to refer to changing boys from dresses to trousers about the age of 5 to 6-in the 1800's.
In this case a phrase that's very familiar to me and I didn't know it wasn't commonly known...

breeched adj. (also breached, britched) [i.e. having money in one's breeches; phrase for persons who possess all the comforts of life — i.e., who have lots of money’] (UK Und.)...financially well-off, materially comfortable; thus well-breeched/well-britched. ...
 TPMS and the MoT - sooty123
I've never heard of it either, is it a fens saying?
>>>is it a fens saying?

I'm not sure where it came from geographically and I can't think I've ever been asked what it meant in conversation with those outside family. Perhaps the conversational context I've used it in enabled folks who didn't know the phrase to guess without querying??

I know it was well understood by relatives from Suffolk and Cotswolds... but I guess mainly those of a certain age.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 15 Oct 17 at 08:49
 TPMS and the MoT - Zero
>> >>>is it a fens saying?
>>
>> I'm not sure where it came from geographically and I can't think I've ever been
>> asked what it meant in conversation with those outside family.

Its a new one for me, and I have fens and Suffolk family. I could work it out from context, but deffo never heard that one before.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 15 Oct 17 at 09:03
>>>Its a new one for me, and I have fens and Suffolk family. I could work it out from context, but deffo never heard that one before.

This deserves more research... I will conduct a casual poll of the cul-de-sac Sunday car wash club when they get started in a moment.
 TPMS and the MoT - Zero

>> cul-de-sac Sunday car
>> wash club when they get started in a moment.

Pffft I am taking the viking long boat complete with crew and livestock down to Wittering while the heat from this Spanish plume persists. "To the shore in ships" you might say
> Wittering while the heat from this Spanish plume persists. "To the shore in ships" you
>> might say
>>

Still warm down your way? Here was lovely and warm fri and sat, very foggy today.

Only reason I ask is I live in the fens and have for a few years. I wondered if it was from a certain part as I've not heard it on either part that I lived in.

I know it was well understood by relatives from Suffolk and Cotswolds... but I guess
>> mainly those of a certain age.
>>

but that's probably it, more of an old fashioned saying than a geographical one.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 15 Oct 17 at 09:33
 TPMS and the MoT - Duncan
>> I've never heard of it either, is it a fens saying?
>>

Nah.

I have heard it/used it in leafy Surrey and plebian Middlesex.
 TPMS and the MoT - Zero

>> I have heard it/used it in leafy Surrey and plebian Middlesex.

Been in and around both since the early 70s, never heard it. Must be a Spoons thing.
>> >> I have heard it/used it in leafy Surrey and plebian Middlesex.
>>
>> Been in and around both since the early 70s, never heard it. Must be a Spoons thing.
>>
Agreed. I have lived in Middlesex and Surrey ( close to their border) my whole life and it is alien to me. Certainly not used in Grotneys homeland. :-)
>> I have heard it/used it in leafy Surrey and plebian Middlesex.

Were they of a certain age?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Oct 17 at 02:00
 TPMS and the MoT - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> All things being equal, that would be about twice as many cars, twice as many
>> TPMS systems, say 200%,

Twice as many cars = 100% increase.
 TPMS and the MoT - Old Navy
My TPMS is wheel rotation speed based using the ABS wheel sensors. It has to have its calibration reset after any disturbance of the tyre pressures. It has alarmed twice in the 18 months I have had the car, both soon after I had checked the tyre pressures.and not reset the system, (easy in the cars menu).
 TPMS and the MoT - Hard Cheese
>> Twice as many cars = 100% increase.

A 100% increase though 200% of the previous total.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Oct 17 at 02:01
 TPMS and the MoT - Cliff Pope

>>
>> A 100% increase though 200% of the previous total.
>>

That's not what the quote said:

" rose by over 200% ", which would become 300% of the previous total.
 TPMS and the MoT - No FM2R
Good to see you grasping the important message. As usual.
Latest Forum Posts