Motoring Discussion > How toxic is your car exhaust Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 39

How toxic is your car exhaust - Hard Cheese
This is quite well done though a pointless comparison in respect of the vehicles concerned. And there are some odd comments such as a "technician" suggesting that an out of tune petrol engine creates blue smoke, it doesn't, it creates grey/black smoke, as we all know blue smoke is a result of burning oil generally due to wear.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

How toxic is your car exhaust - Boxsterboy
Yes it is an interesting watch.
 How toxic is your car exhaust - Old Navy
Hand wringing tree huggers.

Runfer needs one of these!

www.vice.com/en_us/article/jmb4d8/nothing-wrong-with-rolling-coal-711

How toxic is your car exhaust - Harleyman
>> Hand wringing tree huggers.
>>

I thought that. Scrapping that Golf will do precisely naff all for the environment; far more energy is turned into pollution recycling an old car than the vehicle itself will emit if it stays on the road for another twenty years.

Can understand the old man turning to a smaller car, but it all reads a bit twee and sanctimonious to me. Nice feeling if you can afford to have it.
 BC article about emissions - No FM2R
I don't like the writing style and find it a bit boring, but there are some interesting comments, quotes and results in it.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust
 BC article about emissions - Runfer D'Hills
Erm, yeah, well, erm...look down...
? What did I miss?
Lower !
 BC article about emissions - Old Navy
And you give me grief. :-)
I'm quite clearly being thick here, but I have no idea what I'm missing.

I'm starting to worry.
Oh, I see, its already been posted.

That's a relief, I was starting to think it was something to worry about.

threads now merged
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 02:18
In fairness, if you can't even see a freaking tree, then this much smaller...
;-)
>> In fairness, if you can't even see a freaking tree, then this much smaller...

tinyurl.com/y7sg9cgn
 BC article about emissions - Rudedog
I'm sure there was a point at the end but I fell got bored once I scrolled a couple of times…what was the end result?
tl:dr version....

Both cars were s***, new cars are even worse in real world situations though stunningly good under test conditions..
 BC article about emissions - Roger.
Whichever fuel gives the best mpg/cost benefit will do for me.
I love turbo diesels for their driving characteristics, but these days, with our miniscule mileage, a diesel makes no economic sense, apart from (for now) the often cheaper RFL.
 BC article about emissions - TheManWithNoName
What this article does highlight is how the car buying public has been f...duped over by governments, dodgy manufacturers claims and badly enacted legislation!
Vehicles, their users and manufacturers are too big a cash cow for the government to rock the boat too much. In a competition between pollution and income there will only be one winner.
They said that about smokers.
A different scale of income, easily compensated for. Just put motoring taxes up a bit. Tricks like put VAT on fuel and then tax the total cost.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 15:13
Maybe the government is not losing much in cigarette taxation. I had no idea how much they cost, checking surprised me.

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/595153/cigarettes-cost-go-up-budget-menthol-ban-tobacco
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 16:13
 BC article about emissions - The Melting Snowman
Depends where you buy them...
Having given up smoking about 25 years ago and using duty free cigarettes then I had no idea of the current cost. I am sure there are "alternative" sources.
 BC article about emissions - Harleyman
I'm quite convinced that cigarette consumption is driven more by affordability and also public attitude to smoking than by addiction to the habit. I noticed in Bruges last year that there were far more discarded cigarette butts on the streets than would nowadays be seen in a comparable city in the UK; over there, smoking is still taxed much less and the e-cigarette is still a far less comon sight, though becoming more prolific perhaps as demand for liquids and accessories from the tourists gives shops a worthwhile market.

It's also common to find vapers sent to the smoking area; counter-productive actually as once you've been off tobacco for six months the concentrated smell of it is as offensive to vapers as to anyone who hasn't ever smoked. It's one major reason why I don't use Wetherspoons over here.

What does tend to put smokers off converting is the initial cost of a decent vape; till you point out to them that even a 10 fags a day habit costs them over £50 a week, two of which which would buy a good vape, all the kit and enough juice to last at least three months.
 London's "T" charge............ - Roger.
..................is coming tomorrow, I see.
there is an online tool to see if your car will be subject to Khan's latest anti-motoring, tax-raising wheeze.
( tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/emissions-surcharge-checker ).

My ancient 52 plate Honda Jazz will NOT be subject to this tax!
(Not that I have any intention of ever going into that horrid city)
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 22 Oct 17 at 19:28
 London's "T" charge............ - sooty123
Nowt to worry about then rog ;-)
 London's "T" charge............ - Old Navy
>> (Not that I have any intention of ever going into that horrid city)
>>

Careful, you will incur the wrath of Zero.
 London's "T" charge............ - Zero
>> >> (Not that I have any intention of ever going into that horrid city)
>> >>
>>
>> Careful, you will incur the wrath of Zero.

Fear not, I already have you two stapled together in the same wastepaper basket.
 London's "T" charge............ - Zero

>> My ancient 52 plate Honda Jazz will NOT be subject to this tax!

Can be much of an anti motoring tax-raising wheeze if your 15 year old car won't even be subject to it.

>> (Not that I have any intention of ever going into that horrid city)

Doubly so as you have no intention of driving there.

London's "T" charge............ - zippy
I guess if it were Boris's tax it would've been such a good idea to ease pollution!

And what is so horrid 'bout London anyway, that isn't an issue with other towns and cities in the UK?

London's "T" charge............ - CGNorwich
>> And what is so horrid 'bout London anyway, that isn't an issue with other towns
>> and cities in the UK?

Chelsea FC ?

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 22 Oct 17 at 21:37
 London's "T" charge............ - No FM2R
As opposed to Delia Smith Utd?

Not that I am a fan of any team in particular.
 London's "T" charge............ - CGNorwich
Undefeated in last nine games.
 London's "T" charge............ - Haywain
Since Delia Smith Utd beat the Tractorboys in this afternoon's local derby, I'm surprised CG is sufficiently sober to see his keyboard.
Delia had already drunk it all.
Tell me, there use to be a sort of Championship version of Match of the Day, which used to be on straight after MOTD.

Is there still a similar program, though clearly not on BBC1 any more?
 London's "T" charge............ - Haywain
"Is there still a similar program, though clearly not on BBC1 any more?"

The only Championship coverage that I know of now is Channel 5's 'Football on Five' on a Sunday morning 8:40 to 9:30. I don't know when any Sunday fixtures are reported. To be honest, I don't take much notice of the Championship; I'd far rather go down and watch our local non-league lads.

Occasionally, just occasionally, one of them comes good and there is deep-joy throughout the club when one of them reaches the dizzy heights of the Premier League.
Last edited by: Haywain on Sun 22 Oct 17 at 22:50
I'll have a look for it. For me, a 50 minute round up once a week would cover my interest levels just about right.

Thank you.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 22 Oct 17 at 22:51
 London's "T" charge............ - Hard Cheese
Interesting that our 12 year old 120i is not subject to the T-Charge, though the system cannot find the 2015 M135i.
 London's "T" charge............ - Bromptonaut
>> Interesting that our 12 year old 120i is not subject to the T-Charge, though the
>> system cannot find the 2015 M135i.

The charge is primarily designed to deal with NOx - for most part a diesel issue. No surprise that older run of the mill petrol cars like your 120 or Roger's Jazz are not caught.
Latest Forum Posts