Motoring Discussion > Volvo S90 T6 Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 54

Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
I drove one of these this morning.

I don't particularly like saloon cars these days, but if I was going to have one it'd be that. Apparently its only a 2.0 engine, it felt like more. Really comfortable and I really like the way it looks. Certainly a big car.

I only drove it for 5 or 6 miles, but it felt very comfortable also. Lovely seats.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Zero
It does indeed look very smart outside and the inside is very very swish in a Ikea minimalist way. Doing everything via the pad screen tho is a pain.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Hard Cheese
The 2.0 4cyl 300 bhp + engine would be more at home in a Golf R competitor I would have thought, it needs a nice efficient straight six or V6.
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
It felt great to me in the S90.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Runfer D'Hills
I have a soft spot for large Volvo saloons. I learned to drive in one. This new one is very pretty and so is the estate. Read a couple of reviews that were a bit luke warm about its driving dynamics, but I do wonder if they missed the point. I think a big Volvo is about gracious understated progress. A grown up's car maybe? I hope it does well, the roads have become a bit 'same old same old' recently and it's good to see something fresh in this category.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Boxsterboy
All 'big' Volvo engines are now based around the same 4-cylinder 2.0 design, in various states of tune. They will not be producing anything bigger in the future.
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
I had the thing for only a little bit but it drove really nicely. I was surprised it was only a 2litre, it felt and drove like it was considerably more.

I was in town, but it seemed a very big car so flinging it recklessly around country roads probably isn't its thing, but then it isn't mine, either. Felt smooth, didn't notice it was cylinder challenged.

Its got quite a distinctive look. The front grill is quite imposing and almost looked concave.

Like I said, I didn't have it for long, but I'd be pretty surprised if I wouldn't like it however long I had it.

Lovely car.
 Volvo S90 T6 - sooty123
I think they look great, especially the estate version. Very volvo but still sharp looking, the thors hammer headlights are a nice touch. Only niggle is I wonder is how will it age? I wonder it won't age as well the other volvo like the v70.

Does pat have one, I can't remember?
 Volvo S90 T6 - R.P.
I'm still drawn to them.The estate is too big for my needs really. When I owned the T5 it felt great. Bit less "me too" than a BMW. I disliked the TFT instruments. The local dealer gave me a V70 Polaris - that was on acid...!!! They are definitely on the up.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Zero

>> . Only niggle is I wonder is how
>> will it age? I wonder it won't age as well the other volvo like the
>> v70.

Very distinctive stand out cars do age, and I think the rear of the V90 is starting to grate on me already.
>> Only niggle is I wonder is how will it age?

I think it'll be fine. Large Volvos seem to be able to carry their years better than most cars. In some ways they get better the older they are, in terms of their eye appeal to me anyway.

I know it's totally subjective, but a 20 year old large Volvo estate can look really cool in a way that most 20 year old estate cars can't.

Volvo S90 T6 - R.P.
The grand-daddy of the current range is the XC90 T8....that is one hell of a beast.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Zero
One hell of a price too
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
>> The grand-daddy of the current range is the XC90 T8....that is one hell of a
>> beast.

Oh dear Lord, we don't need Herself seeing that until after the PPOS is replaced.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
We have the V90 Sooty and love it. We were a bit worried about the 2.0 engine until we test drove one and that was soon put to bed.

We're down in Cornwall this week and have been around some of the tightest bends on some narrow roads covered in leaves and mud and she hasn't faltered once.

The steering lock is so good when it comes to tight manoeuvres such as the middle of Mevagissey and Gorran Haven today! Narrow gear came into play as well,

We couldn't believe it was showing 58'9mpg on the motorway last Friday and despite all the grasstracking it's still returning over 40MPG.

The comfort is second to none with the seats both being heated and having loads of legroom.

We love it and after the XC60 it has put the fun back into driving again!

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
I presume that as is normal with Volvos that is the Estate version of the S90?

If so, then you're right - that is a very lovely car.

I presume that with that sort of MPG its a diesel? I wouldn't like that so much.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
Yes, it is the estate version and it is a diesel, also automatic which was another of my reservations before the test drive but it's not available with a manual box.

Now I've realised that modern auto's have moved on a bit since the last one I drove in a car, I love it!

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
Good for you.

Your problem will be come the day you have to replace it and work out which car you would prefer instead. Not many, would be my guess.
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
>>also automatic

I don't think I'd go back to a manual from choice. Too much like hard work for little or no gain.

Do you still prefer manuals or are you now a convert?
 Volvo S90 T6 - R.P.
I wouldn't go back to manual either. Mind you been using the MX5 to commute last couple of days...it is rather engaging and enchanting...perfect manual box.
I like both, depends on the car, the circumstances and my mood.
Pleased to hear that the steering lock is good on the new ones. I believe that was something of an Achilles heel on the older models?

One of the greatest delights I've found on returning to RWD cars is the manoeuvrability of them in tight spaces. I can park my E Class in spaces only marginally longer than the car with total ease, or swing it round in the road without problems. 99.999999% of the time...
;-)
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
You need to be careful of kerbs, they can leave very unsightly scars easily visible from other planets.
Thank you for that timely, and clearly concerned advice. I shall bear it in mind.

I also gather that, in the Southern Hemisphere anyway, one has to be mindful of trees when reversing.

;-)
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
I had heard that though I thank you for the helpful reminder.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 17 Oct 17 at 19:36
Any time, although, it does have to be said, trees, in the main, tend to be quite big and fairly visible, so it may have been unnecessary to mention it. Not like anyone would be likely to fail to see one is it?
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
I agree. From one end to the other a tree would be about 18", seemingly plenty to see.

Just out of academic interest though, and quite unrelated to this discussion, how long would you say an average kerb is? More or less that 18"? It seems to be it might be a tad longer than 18", presumably making it quite conspicuous.

You're right about failing to see the there though, its not like the reflected light from yellow shoes would blind one *that* much, is it. Whereas with a kerb, it being so much lower, I guess one could be quite unsighted by the glow.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
>> believe that was something of an Achilles heel on the older models?

We've said more than once today that the 'V70 wouldn't have got round there'!

Yes, I think I do prefer an auto now but it's immensely annoying that 'it' seems to know how to do the gear changing to maximise fuel economy better than I do:)

But I'll get over it!

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - Zero

>> We've said more than once today that the 'V70 wouldn't have got round there'!

I got the XC70 round there last month
 Volvo S90 T6 - Zero

>> Yes, I think I do prefer an auto now but it's immensely annoying that 'it'
>> seems to know how to do the gear changing to maximise fuel economy better than
>> I do:)

Dont despair, there are times when if you put the box into manual mode and choose the gear yourself, you can better it.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Dog
>>Mevagissey and Gorran Haven

Did you go to my beach: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd9RpB2v_-8 We used to live here!

I bet Gorran Haven was very quiet this time of the year. Fowey was nice this morning, even had some sun.
3 people said good morning - they can see we're naturalised now :)
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
Gorran Haven was beautiful and quiet, much better than Mevagissey which we drove down to the harbour and out up the hill without stopping because it was still crowded, well for us it was crowded!

Stopped at Charlestown on the way for a coffee and a bit of people watching and ate some delicious whitebait at The Halfway House on the way back this evening!

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - Dog
>>ate some delicious whitebait at The Halfway House on the way back this evening!

Was that the Halfway House in Death Valley (A38!!)

We had some naughty-but oh-so nice apple cyder cake and some gluten free chocolate brownies bought from Kittows in Fowey. They do lovely pasties too.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
That's the one Dog;)

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - Fenlander
So Dog, Pat... which is the best road to travel to Fowey from the end of the M5? Google says A38 past Plymouth... A30 looks possibly more interesting but perhaps too slow???
 Volvo S90 T6 - Dog
>>which is the best road to travel to Fowey from the end of the M5?

Long time since I've done sowf lunden to Cornwall at 95MPH but, I would pick up the A38 coming orf the M5 at Exeter, unless I was going to the Bodmin Moor.

The A30 is a good road these days though so y'all could do that to the A391, turn left at Bugle onto the B3374, through Penwithick then pick up the A391 again at Carluddon, turn left at the A390 Holmbush Rd., then onto the A3082 Par Moor Rd.

A38 is more straightforward though :)
 Volvo S90 T6 - Hard Cheese
>> Google says A38 past Plymouth... A30 looks possibly more interesting but perhaps too slow??? >>

I used to go to Liskeard often on business and initially used the A38 though it was often very busy around the Tamar Bridge so I took to using the A30 to Bolventor (Jamaica Inn) and across country from there. So I'd use the A30 to Bodmin and then across country to get to Fowey, the NT at Lanydrock is worth a visit on the way. The A30 is generally a quicker road than the A38 these days and is only really busy on Summer Friday's and Saturdays.
 Volvo S90 T6 - commerdriver
>> on Summer Friday's and Saturdays.
>>
Couldn't decide whether an apostrophe was required or not there, HC? :-)
 Volvo S90 T6 - Fenlander
>>>Summer Friday's and Saturdays

Ahh that would be cottage change over days then. A night run in prospect I reckon.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Dog
>> I took to using the A30 to Bolventor (Jamaica Inn) and across country from there.

Nice run that. Road runs beside the River Fowey with Golitha Falls at the end. Siblyback is nearby, I used to walk around that lake quite regularly.

www.swlakestrust.org.uk/lakes/cornwall/siblyback/#facilities

Avez vous ever been to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesewring#/media/File:Cheesewring_02_minions_cornwall.jpg

Last edited by: Dog on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 13:18
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
I'd choose the A38 unless it was a mid summer holiday Saturday!

It's an interesting to drive and more direct.

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - MD
I've missed me Cream Tea again then Pat!
 Volvo S90 T6 - Pat
'Fraid so MD, we had a night at The Old Ship Aground at Minehead on the way down so we could explore Exmoor too;)

Pat
 Volvo S90 T6 - Bromptonaut
>> Stopped at Charlestown on the way for a coffee and a bit of people watching
>> and ate some delicious whitebait

Ugghh how can fishes eaten whole be delicious???

My Dad loved them though and so does Mrs B
 Volvo S90 T6 - CGNorwich
Difficult to eat them any other way really. They really are a pain to fillet.
I love whitebait. Squeeze of lemon and a chunk of crusty brown bread and butter. Glass of dry white if it's not a school night. Mug of tea if it is.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Zero
And an Aioli to dip them in
 Volvo S90 T6 - The Melting Snowman
Sounds disgusting. Fish fingers and salad creme in our house.
Nothing wrong with a fish finger sandwich, with ketchup anyway. And sliced pickled onions of course.
 Volvo S90 T6 - Old Navy
>> Nothing wrong with a fish finger sandwich, with ketchup anyway. And sliced pickled onions of
>> course.
>>

Deep fried?
No, that would be wrong, and if one has guests, one can replace the pickled onions with cucumber and delete the ketchup.
;-)
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
>> No, that would be wrong, and if one has guests, one can replace the pickled
>> onions with cucumber and delete the ketchup.

I believe you'll find that the correct procedure is to kick the guests out and retain the pickled onion.
 Volvo S90 T6 - R.P.
Salad Creme ? Slightly pretentious ! :-)
 Volvo S90 T6 - Manatee
>> Salad Creme ? Slightly pretentious ! :-)

I couldn't think of a witty response, but it does go well with bâtonnets de poisson.
 Volvo S90 T6 - No FM2R
Can't get them here.

Or salad cream.

Or kebabs.

8-(
Latest Forum Posts