Motoring Discussion > Costco fuel. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 113

Costco fuel. - Old Navy
Just filled up at Costco Edinburgh - Petrol £109.9. I am not sure if that is the initial sweetener price.
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
I guess they'll want to keep in a couple of pence cheaper than the nearby Sainsburys.

Presumably it

1. Attracts new members

2. Increases frequency of visits for current members (fill up every week rather than shop there monthly or so)

Of course they cpou;ld've put in 50 EV bays in the same space.... ;-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 20 Oct 17 at 14:32
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> Of course they cpou;ld've put in 50 EV bays in the same space.... ;-)
>>

Someone in their estate planning department obviously considered that to be unprofitable and a waste of space. :-)
 Costco fuel. - Zero
My costco has 30 EV bays, but no filling station!
 Costco fuel. - rtj70
My local Tesco has petrol at £1.139 per litre at the moment. With a 10p/litre off voucher that made it £1.039 on Wednesday. But that equates to only about £5.50 off.
 Costco fuel. - DP
I'm a Shell groupie now. V-Power all the way. I wish I could say it makes no difference in my car, and hence I could save 10p+ a litre, but it really does. At least the £1.29 per litre price is partially disguised by having a thimble for a fuel tank.
 Costco fuel. - Stuartli
>> Just filled up at Costco Edinburgh - Petrol £109.9. I am not sure if that is the initial sweetener price.>>

It cost me just £60 to fill my nearly empty 12 gallon tank on Shell VPower unleaded at 124.9p a litre last week.

I think you are being somewhat drastically ripped off...:-) :-)

...and yes, it really is an excellent fuel - even more so than Tesco Momentum.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 20 Oct 17 at 19:42
 Costco fuel. - Bromptonaut
If you're convinced V-power or Momentum offer and advantage then that maybe a good price.

We were quite happy with our most recent fill of diesel from your local Morrisons at (IIRC) 117.9 on Monday just before Ophelia struck.

Slightly disturbed night at Caravan and Motorhome Club site worrying if the caravan was going to be blown over......
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
I find the free electrons from public chargers just as quiet and powerful as the ones I got from topping up at my cottage a few weeks ago.
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R
Positive?
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
Naw, that's positrons (antimatter electrons) - probably the only way to get an EV to 'backfire'
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 20 Oct 17 at 21:26
 Costco fuel. - zippy
>> Naw, that's positrons (antimatter electrons) - probably the only way to get an EV to
>> 'backfire'
>>

You can find out the ingredients for your electricity here ;-)

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

(Web site originally posted here by spamcan61 in 2011)
 Costco fuel. - tyrednemotional
>> I find the free electrons from public chargers just as quiet and powerful as the
>> ones I got from topping up at my cottage a few weeks ago.
>>

....but surely, that means no charge?.....
 Costco fuel. - Stuartli
>>If you're convinced V-power or Momentum offer and advantage then that maybe a good price.>>

Clearly a case of "whoosh"...:-)
 Costco fuel. - wotspur
Today, Tues, I had the misfortune of having to go to the Isle of Wight, and when I went past Morrisons, near Ryde , I just had to fill up ......107.7 And If I'd have spent £30 in store it would have saved me an extra 3p a litre, Now if the IOW store can do itmthat cheap, why can't my local branch ?
Has anyone found it cheaper than that elsewhere.....even my local Tesco is 115.9 which with a 10p voucher only brings it down to roughly the same, but EVERY LITTLE HELPS
 Costco fuel. - Dog
>>Today, Tues, I had the misfortune of having to go to the Isle of Wight

Erm, why do you you see going to the IoW as a misfortune??
 Costco fuel. - RichardW
It costs a fortune to get there, and it's full of old folk, coaches and grockles driving slowly!

I speak from experience as I lived there for my formative years....
 Costco fuel. - Dog
Musta gorn downhill then - I have many happy mammaries of holidaying on said isle ... 40+ years ago.

David Icke lives there - he was Bjorn in '52, like me!
 Costco fuel. - VxFan
>> David Icke lives there -

Another reason not to visit the IOW then.
 Costco fuel. - Zero
Known as the "isle of s***e"
 Costco fuel. - Hard Cheese
There are some wonderful parts to the IoW, the south western coast is beautiful, Cowes and the Medina river are great and Yarmouth is a really lovely harbour town.
 Costco fuel. - CGNorwich
I agree. Everywhere has its good and bad and the IOW is no different. There is some beautiful countryside on the island and as you say the SW coast is great. If it is a favourite with the elderly so what? Don't they have e right to go on holiday?

Costco fuel. - Dog
S'looking good: www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g186308-Isle_of_Wight_England-Vacations.html
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
I always enjoyed my holidays on the IoW as a child went a few times staying in a static caravan, happy days. Been sailing down the medina as well which was great fun. Looking at going again next summer some time.
>> Been sailing down the medina as well which
>> was great fun. Looking at going again next summer some time.
>>

I sailed into Cowes and up the medina to the Folly Inn in July, good pub, good food.

And last month sailed into Yarmouth, great facilities and lots of nice pubs and restaurants.

Costco fuel. - Zero
>> >> Been sailing down the medina as well which
>> >> was great fun. Looking at going again next summer some time.
>> >>
>>
>> I sailed into Cowes and up the medina to the Folly Inn in July, good
>> pub, good food.

Yup I sail into the PoS quite a bit, the beauty of sailing is you can sail out again. Might be a tricky in the future tho, the Yacht I have use of is currently in Scotland, may not come south again to be replaced by a racing cat.
>> Might be a tricky in the future tho, the Yacht I have use of is currently in Scotland, may not come south again to be replaced by a racing cat.
>>

I had the impression that you were an occasional crew member rather than a seasoned sailor, what is the yacht you have been able to use? And why not use it in Scotland? Great sailing up there, I did around the Orkneys and round Cape Wrath to the west coast last summer.

Costco fuel. - Zero
I am somewhere between seasoned sailor and occasional crew member. Position upon the scale varies year by year.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 11:45
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> I am somewhere between seasoned sailor and occasional crew member. Position upon the scale varies
>> year by year.
>>

And no doubt with the weather.
 Costco fuel. - Zero
>> >> I am somewhere between seasoned sailor and occasional crew member. Position upon the scale
>> varies
>> >> year by year.
>> >>
>>
>> And no doubt with the weather.

Very much so, at 63 years old, my hanging over the edge with mybum in in the water days are over
 Costco fuel. - Stuartli
>>... my hanging over the edge with my bum in in the water days are over. >>

Why don't you use a bidet like the rest of us?

:-) :-)
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
>> I am somewhere between seasoned sailor and occasional crew member. Position upon the scale varies
>> year by year.
>>

What's the scale, is it some sort timeshare arrangement?
 Costco fuel. - Zero
>> >> I am somewhere between seasoned sailor and occasional crew member. Position upon the scale
>> varies
>> >> year by year.
>> >>
>>
>> What's the scale, is it some sort timeshare arrangement?

Friends boat
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
Can't remember the name of it, but I do remember that there was a board with the radio frequency so you could have your drinks ordered and waiting for you.
>> Can't remember the name of it, but I do remember that there was a board
>> with the radio frequency so you could have your drinks ordered and waiting for you.
>>

The marinas/harbours all have radio frequencies for incoming vessels to use, mostly channel 80, the Folly Inn is effectively a harbour as they run the pontoons on the west side of the river and the harbour master will take you over to the pub in a dory. I am pretty sure you could call up asking for a berth and place an order at the same time.
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
I mean it specifically said order your drinks ie a bit of advertising blurb, which I didn't remember been anywhere else.
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R
>> Known as the "isle of s***e"

"Pile of 's***e'" actually.
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase

>> Has anyone found it cheaper than that elsewhere.....even my local Tesco is 115.9 which with
>> a 10p voucher only brings it down to roughly the same, but EVERY LITTLE HELPS
>>

(This is a bit tongue in cheek, of course) cheaper? Sure thing. Yesterday we had the good fortune to go Ely, pleasant wander round the Cathedral, tearoom, bit of shopping. Nice day.

Popped into the giant Sainsburys (not been in one since 1967 and was pleasantly surprised at both quality and low prices. Felt cheaper than Tesco).

Plugged in there. Free electricity, and got enough to cover the mileage there and back while we shopped, so no fuel costs at all that day. Ta.

Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> Popped into the giant Sainsburys (not been in one since 1967 and was pleasantly surprised
>> at both quality and low prices. Felt cheaper than Tesco).
>>
>> Plugged in there. Free electricity, and got enough to cover the mileage there and back
>> while we shopped, so no fuel costs at all that day. Ta.
>>

Enjoy it while you can, I will be filling up at Costco later today as I will be in that area. It will take less than five minutes. I will post the petrol price.

Petrol is not all bad, my Jazz is bigger, more comfortable, way safer, has aircon (always on) is faster, and is laden with gadgets. It also has better fuel consumption than my 1968 MINI had.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 08:21
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase
You have to wait about for five minutes instead of doing whatever you were going to do anyway? And then queue to hand over loads of money? And then shove yucky stuff in the face of that toddler crossing the forecourt as you leave, and a trail of similar wherever you go?

How quaint.

:)

Actually, as mentioned exhaustively Elsewhere, I'm probably back to diesel only in a couple of months. Which is a bore, but there it is.
 Costco fuel. - smokie
I've been away a few weeks Crankcase, I didn't see you are back to diesel elsewhere and I can't find it anywhere on a search. What's that about?
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase
Sorry Smokie, not on this site I meant.

It's about "got a stonking deal on the existing car two years ago, and am used to tiny monthlies, but part of that was a ludicrous final balloon payment that means it not now sensible to buy it at end of pcp, and to replace it with something else EV that has sufficient range to allow the diesel to be sold will double my monthlies, so bah, not doing that, will wait and see what the market does for a few months and use the diesel while that happens".

Costco fuel. - Lygonos
>>got a stonking deal on the existing car two years ago

Best deal by some margin is the KIA Soul - 2yr lease for £200/mth (+£1200 1st payment) and realistic range of 110-120 miles.

6.6kW AC charging, 50+kW DC charging.

I'd take one if I didn't have the Merc.
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase
Indeed it is, but that's not enough range for an only car, at least for me.
 Costco fuel. - Runfer D'Hills
I get anxious if during a journey, my car shows a range of less than 100 miles. Starting a journey with only that would freak me out !

Strikes me that electric cars are mostly useful for people who don't really 'need' cars. Less than two miles, I'll walk or cycle, less than 5 miles, and or in city traffic and I'll cycle, unless I've got something bulky or heavy to move.
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
> Strikes me that electric cars are mostly useful for people who don't really 'need' cars.

I think the average commute by car is ~20 miles, I think they have a fairly wide usefulness.
>> I think the average commute by car is ~20 miles, I think they have a
>> fairly wide usefulness.

Maybe so, but do none of these people ever just change their plans, or do something on impulse, either just because they can, or indeed in response to a changing set of circumstances? I can't imagine, or indeed bear the thought of having a life so predictable as to know for certain that my motoring needs will be limited to just the same, every day, every week, every month, every year...

The whole excitement of passing my driving test at 17 was the sudden freedom of choices it gave me, to go where I wanted, when I wanted and as far as I wanted.

I do understand, indeed support the need to reduce pollution, but at the moment the only people who can reasonably use the present all electric cars are the very ones who don't actually go very far in them, or could easily use some other even "greener" method of propulsion, be it their feet, a bicycle or public transport. The other irony being that by default any savings they might make on fuel are minimal by comparison to the costs of buying into EVs, the environmental costs of producing/disposing of them and the electricity they need to fuel them.

The idea sounds good in principle but until it actually works for other than those who fall into the ideal demographic, the concept has some pretty basic flaws. I'm sure it gives their users a warm fuzzy feeling about how they are saving the world, or a even themselves a few quid on fuel or something, but encouraging their use might also be distracting those who need to develop better solutions than EVs currently offer, to the core need to replace ICE engines with something that offers the same benefits but with fewer environmental downsides.
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
Well I think the last numbers I saw from the AA said that the average mileage is 8000 a year. So who knows from that the level of spontaneity there is out there?

Think of it rather than individually think of it collectively. No it might not be much each but together I think it'd be a big difference.

I get that but I still think it's a fairly big number of people that can use them. I don't think people there are many people that they won't be suitable for in a few years. They'll no doubt be changes in industry /commerce etc but I really don't see it as unmanageable any more than the change from horses to cars was.

Change will come, probably not as fast as we think but it will come.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 17:46
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R
>>so predictable as to know for certain that my motoring needs will be limited to just the same, every day, every week, every month, every year...

So, October 2016 quite different to October 2017, was it?

How much driving did you actually do which isn't work, supermarket, other chores etc. etc.? Or for your regular trips to the gym, swimming pool, whatever.

What percentage of your driving in actually spontaneous?

I expect that, like the rest of us, very little. Most of it is required, the rest of it is planned. Spontaneity such as it is probably lives within a 20 mile radius from your home. I don't even have a job and yet most of my time is far too full for much spontaneity.

And I don't know about you, but I didn't think of any of that when I got my license. Its just not how I expected, but it is how it is.

Costco fuel. - Zero
Spontaneous? That needs defining. I guess mine is to an extent, certainly vary varied.

Sunday, trip to the seaside: decided the previous evening 120 miles round trip with dog
Monday: Dog training club scheduled weekly event 12 miles round trip, with dog
Tuesday: static
Wednesday: Dog training 85 miles round trip
Thursday: Static
Friday: Trip to visit friends, with dog 60 miles round trip
Saturday: Dog show - planned 40 miles there. Film train, semi spontaneous - call it flexible 25 miles there, home 40 miles

My motoring is a mix of regular planned, short term planned, and very short term planned, about 16k miles of it a year. Lot of it with dog on board.

Current leccy car tech wont cut it for me. yes Yes i know, dont buy one. Well I havent.
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase

>> Sunday, trip to the seaside: decided the previous evening 120 miles round trip with dog
>> Monday: Dog training club scheduled weekly event 12 miles round trip, with dog
>> Tuesday: static
>> Wednesday: Dog training 85 miles round trip
>> Thursday: Static
>> Friday: Trip to visit friends, with dog 60 miles round trip
>> Saturday: Dog show - planned 40 miles there. Film train, semi spontaneous - call it
>> flexible 25 miles there, home 40 miles

Sunday, you'd need a charge at the seaside. Asssuming it was 60 miles there, you'd arrive with about 40. You'd need 20 more. That's about 45 minutes on a local (possibly free) Podpoint or similar, or fifteen to twenty minutes on a rapid if there was one. If there wasn't, yes, you have to replan your journey to suit. Bit of a bore but not insurmountable.

Obviously all of the others are fine with no charging required, again assuming you were clever enough to remember to plug it in on your drive when you got home from the previous trip.

So that's about 250 miles you could have done easily, and another 120 with a bit of planning if you wanted.

Fair enough it's not what you want to do, but don't imagine it's not (easily) doable.

I'd still want a second car though, for the 1am emergency 500 miles away, that come up weekly of course.

Costco fuel. - Zero
>> Sunday, you'd need a charge at the seaside.

Unavailable - falls apart right at the start of the week

Notice the "with the dog" Any pure EVs can take a dog cage?

Nope
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 20:08
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase
Dunno about dog cages I'm afraid. This?

youtu.be/YV0TJFWNM0E

Bet there was a charger along the way with a minor detour. They're blinking everywhere.
 Costco fuel. - Zero
>> Dunno about dog cages I'm afraid. This?
>>
>> youtu.be/YV0TJFWNM0E
>>
>> Bet there was a charger along the way with a minor detour. They're blinking everywhere.

Probably, a detour is bad enough, but waiting there while it charged? seaside time used up.
>>
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
>> Any pure EVs can take a dog cage?

www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/e-nv200-combi.html - soon to have a 40kWh battery

Tesla Model S or X

My Merc if it's a weenie dog that my cat could take down....

www.safedog.co.uk/images/Mercedes/B%20Class/Mercedes%20B%20Class%20%2713%20DMed%20Min.jpg

I can just imagine the dog looking at that with a thought bubble above it's head saying "WTF?!?!?"
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 20:47
 Costco fuel. - Zero
>> Tesla Model S or X

Boot room simply not big enough in both, plus the X is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

My dog does very good think bubbles. Its usually along the lines of PO

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 21:32
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
X isn't pretty but it's no SsangYong Rodius.

images.honestjohn.co.uk/imagecache/file/fit/730x700/media/4990353/Ssangyong~Rodius~61~reg~R34.jpg

Model S dog crate: i.vimeocdn.com/video/549268944_1280x720.jpg

Model X boot space (in 5 seat config): www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/tesla-model-x-boot-space.jpg?itok=Bo_IImpz

I see you didn't mention the Nissan, but I wouldn't want one either...

Costco fuel. - Zero

>> Model S dog crate: i.vimeocdn.com/video/549268944_1280x720.jpg

Dog looks cramped.

>> Model X boot space (in 5 seat config): www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/tesla-model-x-boot-space.jpg?itok=Bo_IImpz

Not big enough, they all have the same problem, with extreme sloping back windows. Plus there is no room in the boot for anything else.
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
>>Plus there is no room in the boot for anything else.

Rear seats fold and there's a boot in the front.
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> >>Plus there is no room in the boot for anything else.
>>
>> Rear seats fold and there's a boot in the front.
>>

Do you get commission on UK Tesla sales? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 23:00
>> So, October 2016 quite different to October 2017, was it?

Actually, yes, my schedule changes daily never mind yearly. Just today, got out of bed, saw that the sun was shining, moved a few things around and went to Snowdonia with the bikes. Last night when we went to bed we had no such plans. Does no one else just 'do' stuff? Find that hard to believe, it's just human nature isn't it, to just change your mind/plans and grab opportunities when they arise, seem attractive, and are possible? Always been my attitude to life and that of those close to me anyway.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 18:15
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R

>>Does no one else just 'do' stuff?

I do. But how often do I 'do stuff' spontaneously which needs me to take a car further than 50 miles from my home? (The airport is about 20 miles away)

I doubt its once a month.

Of course I do lots of stuff. But I plan it at least the night before or I do it within range of the girls' school.

I'd have trouble with an electric car in the summer holidays; beach house is about 100 miles and Country house is about 180 miles. Favourite camping place is about 200 miles and most other 'big' recreation is more than 100 miles away.

Of course, the Andes are closer, and I do sometimes go there at short notice for a play. But one needs a 4x4 with all the kit for that, and it'll be some time for an EV fills that role easily. Anyway, you'd be out of your mind going in there without a significant range, and a s*** load of precautions. At a stretch you could get someone to bring you a can of petrol, but you'd never be able to fix an EV with a lack of go.

Of course, I couldn't have an electric car alone, but it would do a lot.

School is about 10 miles, club is about 3 miles, favourite bars, pubs and similar do not involve a car, or at least not mine; Taxi or Metro. Girls' regular activities are all within 20 miles. Spontaneity in the week is around and about.

If I work then it usually involves a plane or a computer, never a car and the airport is close-ish.

Perhaps it'll be different when the girls are older, it was before they were born. I did go to Amarillo for some cigarettes in my new car one time, I was living in San Francisco at the time.
 Costco fuel. - Zero

>> I did go to Amarillo for some cigarettes in my new car one time, I
>> was living in San Francisco at the time.

did you know the way? was the day dawning? was marie there?
 Costco fuel. - Zero
When the BM arrives next month, there will be quite a bit of "stuff" for a while I guess.
I do a mix of very local journeys, with a few miles, some 40 mile round trips though the majority of which are cycled or walked, and a few much longer trips 240 to 500 mile round trips to Surrey, Sheffield, N Yorks etc.

So an EV would mean that I could leave the bike in the shed and save the shoe leather, though it's simply not a viable alternative for the longer journeys, and even if it were, would I be willing to pay for the enjoyment that powerful petrol engine car can bring - most probably as I could drive a hybrid or a 1.4 ultra eco TD today, though I choose to enjoy (verb: take delight or pleasure in) 30 - 35 ish MPG rather than enjoy (verb: possess and benefit from) 60 50 - 55 ish MPG.

Costco fuel. - sooty123
I think most 'do stuff' but not everyone does it to the same extent or the same frequency. That's the big difference.

I suppose transport and how we use it will change, perhaps your right and something will come along to replace EVs, I can't see anything close to coming onto the market anytime soon.
 Costco fuel. - PeterS
FWIW our plug in hybrid A3 did around 16k miles last year. Now, they weren’t all on electricity. But, it was filled up with petrol away from home just 4 times. Including a trip to France. Every single trip, bar the one to France, varying from 4 miles to 270 miles, could have been covered by a mid spec Tesla. The Tesla would have had to be charged at the Eurotunnel for the French trip.

And that’s using current tech...

www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/new-toshiba-battery-charges-in-just-six-minutes/ar-AAtYnFW?li=AA8sb7
>> FWIW our plug in hybrid A3 did around 16k miles last year. Now, they weren’t
>> all on electricity. But, it was filled up with petrol away from home just 4
>> times. Including a trip to France. Every single trip, bar the one to France, varying
>> from 4 miles to 270 miles, could have been covered by a mid spec Tesla.
>> The Tesla would have had to be charged at the Eurotunnel for the French trip.
>>

So we need a £60k Tesla to do with an EV what we could do with a 1975 Cortina ...
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
>> So we need a £60k Tesla to do with an EV what we could do with a 1975 Cortina ...

I don't think even the Sweeney ever managed to coax 0-60 in 4.2 seconds from a 'tina.

Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> I don't think even the Sweeney ever managed to coax 0-60 in 4.2 seconds from
>> a 'tina.
>>
>>
How many times can a Tesla do it before its battery is flat?
 Costco fuel. - PeterS
>>
>> So we need a £60k Tesla to do with an EV what we could do
>> with a 1975 Cortina ...
>>

Need, no. Don’t think I mentioned need. But our A3 had a list price of £40k. And a Tesla Model 3 will probably be the same. So I was comparing like for like :p. Clearly a 1975 cortina or a Fiesta could do it, but would you get out feeling the same...? I’m sure a 40kWh leaf or Zoe would be almost as capable. And in the case of a Zoe for just £12k half the cost in real terms of the 1975 cortina ;)

Add in a a 6 minute charge using the tech Toshiba seem to be working on, and that’s on a par with filling with smelly old diesel. But it’s okay, I know not everyone likes change ;)
Last edited by: PeterS on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 20:43

>>
>> Need, no. Don’t think I mentioned need.
>>

Not directly though you said that a Tesla could cope with your journey proflies alluding to the fact that no other EVs can. So a hybrid A3 will do it and a 1975 Cortina would do it and any other ICE car would do it, though the ONLY EV that would stand a chance would be a Tesla. And don't forget that the range is much reduced if you want or need either heating or aircon.

The Toshiba tech may be a game changer though as of today ...

And what will a step change in charging tech do to EV (and hybrid) residuals?
 Costco fuel. - rtj70
And who will pay for the upgrades to the national grid to distribute these unpredictable peaks in electricity to support such rapid charging?

And how will I charge my new EV without a private driveway with electric.

Don't get me wrong - EV is the future. I think it's still further out as a mainstream option.
 Costco fuel. - Stuartli
Been visiting a major Liverpool hospital looking after best mate who's had a major operation. Interesting to see that there is a charging station for electric vehicles on-site.

As for the Tesla, it is an absolutely stunning vehicle in the flesh and with performance to match - only wish I could afford one....:-)
 Costco fuel. - rtj70
>> As for the Tesla, it is an absolutely stunning vehicle in the flesh

The Model S is a well styled vehicle although it looked better before the front bumper was altered. The Model X is hideous. The Model 3 is no looker either and to keep costs down the dashboard is basically a 15" TFT which includes the speedometer.

So the plan for models is to spell S3XY with the model Y to arrive next.
 Costco fuel. - legacylad
Whilst recently on Speyside we were based at the Grant Arms @ Grantown for a few days. Parked outside was a Tesla, LHD on Dutch plates. I didn’t get chance to have a good nosey, we were walking until dusk every day, but it drew many admiring glances and the young staff thought it very nice looking
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase
Still hoping for some insight from you, LL, about why the Speyside walk wasn't so good? See thread where you mentioned it before.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 26 Oct 17 at 07:48
 Costco fuel. - legacylad
Crankcase, I replied yesterday.
I tried to post immediately below your post in that thread but it appeared 6 posts lower!
No idea why...probably me being a numpty ( again)
As stated, I’m happy to give more detail if you pm me
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase
Sorry, LL, I'm the numpty for missing your reply. Seen it now. Thank you. Maybe a separate new thread on LDW might be a good idea.

I'll confer with the boss over the Speyside now.
 Costco fuel. - VxFan
>> I tried to post immediately below your post in that thread but it appeared 6
>> posts lower!
>> No idea why...probably me being a numpty ( again)

Nope, it's how the thread displays the conversation. If you temp switch to "view threaded" mode" it might become clearer once you see the way the thread branches out.
 Costco fuel. - Pat
>>If you temp switch to "view threaded" mode" it might become clearer once you see the way the thread branches out. <<

....but then again, it might not:)

Pat
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R
>>If you temp switch to "view threaded" mode" it might become clearer once you see the way the thread branches out.

This forum *only* works in threaded mode. It is, however, displayed differently and the concept is easier to understand when viewed with the threaded display.

It would have been easier to understand with a simply chronological order, but that brings its challenges also.

Costco fuel. - smokie
Funny really, I hardly ever use threaded view - and I bet I read more than most on this place. maybe that's the difference - because I am reading it so regularly I don't have time to forget the different parts of the conversations, so can fit them together properly in my mind....
>> And who will pay for the upgrades to the national grid to distribute these unpredictable
>> peaks in electricity to support such rapid charging?
>>
>> And how will I charge my new EV without a private driveway with electric.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong - EV is the future. I think it's still further out
>> as a mainstream option.
>>

Good points.

EV is likely to be the future though it's too early to hang our hat on it, we need targets set and a tech race, competition drives progress.
 Costco fuel. - rtj70
Batteries are getting better at storing more power for the same density/weight.

Based on my experience of the Passat GTE and the Superb I have.... next car might be the upcoming Superb PHEV or it's successor (3-4 years away for me).
 Costco fuel. - Roger.
>> >>got a stonking deal on the existing car two years ago
>>
>> Best deal by some margin is the KIA Soul - 2yr lease for £200/mth (+£1200
>> 1st payment) and realistic range of 110-120 miles.

So that's (simplistically and not allowing for DCF on the £1200) £6000, equivalent to £250 a month - not so cheap.
 Costco fuel. - sooty123
So that's (simplistically and not allowing for DCF on the £1200) £6000, equivalent to £250
>> a month - not so cheap.
>>

Is there one cheaper than that?
 Costco fuel. - PeterS
>> So that's (simplistically and not allowing for DCF on the £1200) £6000, equivalent to £250
>> a month - not so cheap.

Except, you’d probably save £100 a month in fuel. £150 a month for a brand new, warranted, car to your spec seems pretty reasonable...
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Oct 17 at 02:14
 Costco fuel. - Crankcase

>>
>> Except, you’d probably save £100 a month in fuel. £150 a month for a brand
>> new, warranted, car to your spec seems pretty reasonable...
>>

...and, though minor but nice, zero RFL, no London congestion charge, no problems with emission zones of any variant, which of course may increase across the country. Free parking in some places. Free fuel in some places. Allowed to use bus lanes in some places.

None of that would make the decision, but they are nice benefits once you own one, at least right now.

Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> I will post the petrol price.
>>

Costco Edinburgh this afternoon, petrol 108.9, diesel 111.9. Local supermarkets petrol 114.9.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 15:57
 Costco fuel. - rtj70
Playing around with the Skoda connect(ed) services in my car earlier and I can get the petrol prices for the nearest stations 'live' and locations shown on a map. I'll still go to my Tesco ;-)

I know this is nothing new and PeterS has it on his A3 e-tron and has done for a while.

Handy if you need it I guess.
 Costco fuel. - DP

>> I think you are being somewhat drastically ripped off...:-) :-)
>>
>> ...and yes, it really is an excellent fuel - even more so than Tesco Momentum.
>>

There are only two Shell stations within reasonable distance and they are both priced at 129.9 and have been for some time.

Within a 5 mile radius of where I live, fuel is about 5p above the average prices on petrolprices.com. It's always been the same.
 Costco fuel. - legacylad
I paid £1.349 for BP Ultimate in Pitlochry last Sunday. £1.299 for Shell V outside Perth heading North the Sunday before.
Cheaper than my local fuel places
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 23:01
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
Costco Edinburgh down to 107.9 ppl for petrol yesterday.
 Costco fuel. - Bobby
Station being built in Glasgow as well now.
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
Great, I am over on the wet side occasionally, I will have to plan on being low on fuel!

Having said that it is sleeting here on the dryer side today.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 14:18
 Costco fuel. - Bobby
Have driven to and from Peebles today getting my car serviced.
Definitely more snow when hitting West Lothian
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
Just a few showers here, not enough to settle.

A handy top up point if you are going to the south or back on the M6 is the Costco at Haycock, just a few minutes off of J23.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 15:03
 Costco fuel. - CGNorwich
Hardly worth the effort to save a couple of pounds is it ?
 Costco fuel. - Lygonos
Saw about a dozen soggy flakes flop past the surgery window at lunchtime but only a mile or two from the water so not as cold as Peebleshire.
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
>> Hardly worth the effort to save a couple of pounds is it ?
>>

Maybe not for you but I stop overnight in that area when doing Edinburgh / London or further transits.
 Costco fuel. - Pat
Take care of the pennies CG, and the pounds will take care of themselves.

Some of us have always had to do this and it becomes a life long habit.

No bad thing either.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 16:25
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
Maybe CGN's car runs better on motorway service area priced fuel. :-)
 Costco fuel. - CGNorwich
>> Take care of the pennies CG, and the pounds will take care of themselves.
>>
>> Some of us have always had to do this and it becomes a life long
>> habit.
>>
>> No bad thing either.
>>
>> Pat
>>
Not been my experience. I've alway found looking carefully at major expenditure , not faffing about saving a few pennies here and there has been a better way to keep my head above water financially.

I rather suspect that if you were to average out the price per gallon of fuel paid during a year between someone who constantly seeks out the cheapest price and someone who just buys at the most convenient major filling station the difference wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

Paid £1.30 yesterday for V-Power, in Ottershaw, kind of Zero's manor ...
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
I am sure your car was delighted! :-)

I do not seek out the cheapest fuel, however with a couple of seconds planning I can delay filling up for a day or two if I am going to be near a Costco. If not it I'll up locally.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 19:15
 Costco fuel. - Old Navy
EDIT-

Predictive rubbish. If not I'll fill up locally
 Costco fuel. - Bill Payer
>> Paid £1.30 yesterday for V-Power, in Ottershaw, kind of Zero's manor ...
>>
£1.36 for the diesel stuff yesterday in Chester. Bit of a gulp when I saw the price.
 Costco fuel. - Zero
>> Paid £1.30 yesterday for V-Power, in Ottershaw, kind of Zero's manor ...

bout three miles away from Palace zero
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R
>Not been my experience. I've alway found looking carefully at major expenditure , not faffing about saving a few pennies here and there has been a better way to keep my head above water financially.

Entirely agree. One improved deal on major expenditure makes a nonsense of worrying about pennies..

I put no effort whatsoever into choosing where my fuel comes from. Whatever & wherever is is convenient when I need some.
 Costco fuel. - Bromptonaut
>> I put no effort whatsoever into choosing where my fuel comes from. Whatever & wherever
>> is is convenient when I need some.

Can sort of see that but there's a helluva difference, 10plus/litre, between Leicester Forest M1 services and the Asda/Sainsbury prices available within a few minutes of M1/J21. When my Mother was still alive and living near the Asda/Sainsbury above I'd play fuel light bingo for the 1 or 2p/litre diesel was cheaper there than at Northampton's supermarkets,
 Costco fuel. - No FM2R
>>I'd play fuel light bingo for the 1 or 2p/litre diesel was cheaper

I presume that at some point in your life you've run out of fuel and remember what a total a*** it is? for 1p or 2p per litre? What's that in total? 70p?

No, not me. I guess when I was young and extremely poor I may have done, but not for many years.
 Costco fuel. - rtj70
I have a journey to make in the morning (round trip over the weekend about 450 miles) and the car was not full. I'd normally go to me local Tesco filling station which is cheaper. But I have been busy so filled up at the nearest. It was 6p/litre more and I knew I'd put in over 20 litres so the difference was going to be £1.20+. Hence not going to Tesco.

For a full tank (not that it could be totally empty) the difference would be £4. But the full tank at the more expensive filling station would be £80. So £4 is not such a big deal percentage wise.
 Costco fuel. - Zero
I'll avoid motorway prices mostly because its easy to do, but anywhere and everywhere else is fair game.
Latest Forum Posts