Motoring Discussion > Quietest tyres to fit. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 76

Quietest tyres to fit. - Oldgit
Irrespective of performance considerations, does anyone here have any knowledge or suggestions as to what make of tyre (205/55 R16) would be the best ones to fit to my Golf to give the quietest ride?

I find the MK7 somewhat disappointing in the level of road noise transmitted into the cabin compared with my previous MK6.
My current tyres, fitted after my accident in July this year are Michelin Primacy 3 which were fitted by me shortly after buying my car last year. Somehow, they don't perhaps suit this model and was wondering whether some 'softer' tyres would be better - clearly, I am not a boy racer at 80 years of age (or nearly so)!
I'd imagine that this an almost question to answer. I have scoured the Web and eventually ended up totally confused. All tyres now have dB ratings but this is only drive-by noise and to my mind has very little to do with perceived noise inside one's car as this is a function of construction and sound insulation ie. NVH.
Yes, after getting my wheel bearing sorted out a few weeks ago, My 'anxiety' has now floated to something else, although the absence of that horrible drone, I had, is a blessed relief.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - henry k
I totally understand your problem.
My S/H X type came with Pirellis ( specially chosen by Jaguar when developing the car)
I too was very disappointed at the noise level.
The Khumos I had fitted on my previous car were quiet so I fitted Khumos again.
My complaint then was because the noise level had dropped so much I could hear the wind around the door mirrors.
I now have a pair of Hankooks fitted and they are also quiet.
Both are respected mid range cost brands and sometimes fitted as OE.

Maybe one of the VW Golf forums has some comments from other than the go faster members.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Zero
Of course drive by noise translates into cabin noise, it's a direct correlation. So you go for the tyre with the lowest DB rating.

To do so at the expense of wet grip performance however is an act of gross stupidity
 Quietest tyres to fit. - No FM2R
Of course noise level can be measured, but in reality one can get used to, and then fail to notice, pretty much any noise.

I don't know if you can change your tyres for quieter ones, but if you do then a month later it will seem just as loud.

I don't know how long it is since you changed cars, but I think its a while. I guarantee you are not capable of comparing noise levels over that period of time. Which is not to say that you can worry about it for a long time, but its long gone past the time when you could actually detect a difference.

So what do you hope to achieve? I'm all for spending available money in any way which will make you happier, but I'd be surprised if you can achieve that this time.

Or perhaps you will change the tyres and just feel happier. In which case, simply change them to any without a lower dB rating.

And on the subject of dB ratings, how can it *not* be related to in-cabin noise? Which is not to say that road surfaces or inadequate insulation will not be relevant, but changing a tyre won't fix those.

As for anxiety, will you not feel anxious about driving on a lower performance tyre even if it is quieter?

I do not recall any DB figures all those years ago when I first fitted Khumos but the noise level was much reduced and continued to be so on subsequent sets of tyres.
I have not even looked at any DB figures on any tyres.
I have not noticed any more noise when swapping from old Khumos to Hankooks.
The noise level is still low.

So in my case so I cannot agree with
>> if you can change your tyres for quieter ones, but if you do then a month later it will seem just as loud.

p.s.
Over many months I was able to directly compare the noise level of my old MKII Mondeo on Khumos with My X type on Pirellis. No contest , the X type was much much noisier. That cannot be right, an old Mondeo better than a Jaguar. The tyre swap made the difference.
>>The noise level is still low.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But as a human being you can not know relying simply on your perception of what your senses are telling you.

You can detect a change when it is fresh, but not for any significant length of time.

How do you think people live next to railway lines, motorways and airports? Do you believe them all to be deaf?

One can detect changes, but one cannot reliably detect levels.
>>Over many months I was able to directly compare the noise level of my old MKII Mondeo on Khumos with My X type on Pirellis.

Oh do read what I write if you're going to argue.

Of course you can detect a difference by comparing two things side by side. I made no comment on that. I commented on being able to compare two not particularly exceptional noise levels a year apart.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Bobby
and bearing in mind that the noise levels will change as the tread wears down
>>How do you think people live next to railway lines, motorways and airports? Do you believe them all to be deaf?

For quite a few years in the Concorde era lived between the approach paths to LHR just a couple of miles from touchdown.
What did you say ?
I have read tyre and tire reviews and realise that in the UK there are certain makes from Dunlop (Blu response) and Goodyear (Efficient Grip), for example that have a dB rating of 68dB whereas others in their ranges and with other makes are quoted as 71/72dB.

These quieter tyres are generally quoted as being 'Summer' tyres and as far as I know those fitted to my car and previous ones have been similar and have always been called Summer tyres.
The above, have excellent wet grip and resist aquaplaning etc but seemingly, according to some, suffer from a more increased wear rate and softer side walls. The latter doesn't worry me due to my low annual mileage nowadays.
>> Of course noise level can be measured, but in reality one can get used to,
>> and then fail to notice, pretty much any noise.
>>
>> As for anxiety, will you not feel anxious about driving on a lower performance tyre
>> even if it is quieter?
>>
Where did I or anyone else suggest that quieter tyres were lower performance tryes?
 Quietest tyres to fit. - bathtub tom
I wonder if the OP has looked into fitting additional sound insulation into the car?
>> I wonder if the OP has looked into fitting additional sound insulation into the car?
>>

I have thought about it but then went and rested until all thoughts of the effort involved, went away!
 Quietest tyres to fit. - sooty123
> I have thought about it but then went and rested until all thoughts of the
>> effort involved, went away!
>>

I wouldn't dismiss the idea completely. I've read about people doing it on other forums and claim to have really made a difference doing it. It need not be too complicated either.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Lemma
I found the original bridgestones fitted to my 63reg RAV4 to be very noisy. I researched thoroughly when it came to replacement time and fitted Nexens. I noticed an immediate and sustained improvement as they wore. 30k miles later and with winter approaching I have replaced the Nexen SU1s with a set of Nexen RU1s. Even better in terms of noise, but also handling and ride. I am very impressed with them, although my car is an SUV and the tyres are 235/55/18s which may not translate to the OP's circumstances. I checked numerous owner reviews before settling on my choice and found specific tyre review sites to be helpful.

I even looked into sound insulation but it is neither easy or cheap. The materials are expensive and heavy, and to do it properly requires removing the carpets and door cards. Quite a palaver! However the right tyres have resolved the problem entirely and the car is at least as quiet as other cars I have owned. I got 30k plus from the previous Nexens, so very happy in that respect as well.

Quietest tyres to fit. - Lygonos
Fit this to your tyres for the quietest drive.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-vii-pa/explore/e-golf
>>Where did I or anyone else suggest that quieter tyres were lower performance tryes?

To respond in the same vein, where on earth did I say that anybody had suggested that???

However, and hence my point, you did say..

>>Irrespective of performance considerations,

*if* the tyre you bought was lower performance, would that not make you anxious? In which case, are performance considerations really to be ignored?

I get so tyred of people not reading.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Fenlander
The quietest tyres in your size OG are the Dunlop BlueResponse/FastResponse/Sportmaxx range and Goodyear EfficientGrip. They are as low as 67db.

It is not just the rated db figure that matters but how they hit road undulations and I still think the Dunlop range are the best in this case with no performance downsides. I now have huge experience of them (7 sets over 3.5yrs, 5 different cars) and fit them without question. They are soft which I thinks helps keep the noise down so they do wear a little more quickly but you say that's not an issue. Only you can judge if it's worth the expense to test out the potential noise level reduction.

www.asdatyres.co.uk/205-55-16?brand=dunlop&brand=goodyear

On an associated note I've just completed a very worthwhile experimental trial which amongst other aspects of noise considers how much of what we hear is our perception of what we hear as much as the actual noise itself.

As has been alluded to above this may be a significant aspect of how much this tyre noise troubles you.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 21 Oct 17 at 17:11
 Quietest tyres to fit. - rtj70
After a few diesels, I was pleased with how quiet the 1.4 turbo petrol engine in my A3 was. Handled better too in my opinion because the front end did not have a heavy 2.0 diesel engine.

Well the Superb with the same engine/gearbox combination is even quieter and therefore has better/more sound insulation. So can I suggest Old Git gets himself a new car with better sound insulation.

:-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 21 Oct 17 at 17:31
Remember the actual tyre tests are performed by the manufacturers.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/100248/dunlop-sport-bluresponse-review

On paper the quietest, in the cabin the noisiest bar one.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/100252/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-review

Same rating as the Dunlop and the best on test for cabin noise.

Had GY efficient grips on the Forester and they didn't rumble over any surface unlike the Chinese crapola they replaced.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 21 Oct 17 at 17:46
I'd seen that Autoexpress test and the Dunlop noise result puzzled me as it's not been my experience.

If it were mine I'd still go Dunlop but given OG's sensitivity perhaps best he has something with no record of negatives anywhere so Efficientgrips may be a netter choice.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> To do so at the expense of wet grip performance however is an act of
>> gross stupidity
>>

An extreme illustration of that is to listen to a pre-war car running on narrow crossply tyres.
I remember sitting outside a cafe by a cobbled street, and noticing that the passing cars made a noise like ripping velcro apart or driving on wet tar. Then came a 1930s Morris, and its tyres were almost silent.
Probably though its brakes would have been utterly useless if the cobbles had been wet.
Well someone here has suggested my 15 month old car for another new car. OK but which one, then? I be prepared for that but what an extremely lengthy search that would be.
Anyway, at my age and less agility i was thinking along the lines of as small-ish SUV.
As regards tyres i suppose id be prepared to try the Goodyear tyres referred to above, though initially i had thought about the Dunlop Bluresponse.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Runfer D'Hills
My 81 year old father in law has very recently bought a new Suzuki Ignis. Top of the range model, so laden with toys. He'd more or less stopped driving his old Fiesta but the new car has reawakened his interest in driving. It is actually, a very nice wee car, and a fun thing to drive. He got a very good deal on it as it was a 3 month old ex demonstrator.
> i was thinking along the lines of as small-ish SUV

I don't know about the small ones, but I can tell you that the big ones are damned noisy, under pretty much any circumstance.
Aside from simply the tyre noise, would you like a new car anyway? Or for other reasons?

Because it kind of seems that at least subconsciously you are right off the current one. If so, do you have any particular needs or strong desires out of a new car?
 Quietest tyres to fit. - rtj70
>> Because it kind of seems that at least subconsciously you are right off the current one.

Which is why I said get a new car. He lost confidence in it when the wheel bearing was making noises. So he's focussed on every noise and now realises the tyres are noisy.

Why no turn on Classic FM and turn up the volume (other radio stations are available).
>> Aside from simply the tyre noise, would you like a new car anyway? Or for
>> other reasons?
>>
>> Because it kind of seems that at least subconsciously you are right off the current
>> one. If so, do you have any particular needs or strong desires out of a
>> new car?
>>
>>
No, id rather keep this one now with the right tyres. All new cars and their successors are getting wider, longer and lower and with the accent on economy for optimal green credentials, they're getting lighter and less well insulated, it seems.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Hard Cheese
It's not straight forward, one tyre may be quieter on one type of surface though noisier on another surface.

To the OP, try playing with pressures, try running 2-3 psi either side of the recommended pressures, it's quite safe though don't run under inflated on long motorway journeys.

Also maybe try a demo Golf at a couple of dealers if on different tyres.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sun 22 Oct 17 at 00:30
Mk7 Golf reputedly has problems with noise from the rear suspension - may be nowt you can do with the rubber.

www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/index.html

(I know it's a disgruntled owner, a bit like the old arnoldsucks.com websites, but have a read...)
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Rudedog
I still have a MK5 which has the independent rear suspension, the MK7 went back to the rear torsion bars for all but the top of the range, I think that was maybe due to cost.

OG have you thought about the road surface rather than the tyre?

You live in the same area as me and as you will be aware Bromley have just got around to resurfacing some of the roads around Biggin and the difference in road noise between the new and old is like chalk and cheese!

A new piece of well surfaced road (not just scalped and chippings!) is like silk for a while until someone diggings it up, even makes my tired 2006 feel like new.

Have you tried a run over a new road to compare?
>> A new piece of well surfaced road (not just scalped and chippings!) is like silk
>> for a while until someone diggings it up, even makes my tired 2006 feel like
>> new.
>> Have you tried a run over a new road to compare?

Yes, I know all those roads and the new road surfaces and how relatively quiet the car is but those surfaces are in the minority as most are coarse flint. Think of the A21 towards Polhill and in fact most Trunk roads - they generate roar.
I have had both a MK5 and a MK6 (for nearly 7 years) the latter being the best of the three I have had so far. The MK7 is on the MQB platform and I do have the more sophisticated multilink suspension on mine. Bear is mind that VW have shaved off 100Kg of MK7 Golf and it feels like it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 01:53
 Quietest tyres to fit. - PeterS
Just a thought, but our A3 is, I think, on the same platform as your Golf and is fitted with a acoustic windscreen. I assume the logic is the road noise is more apparent in an EV, even a plug-in one like ours, and so more money is spent to offset it. It’s fitted with continental tyres (on, unfortunately, 18” wheels) and the road noise appears well suppressed. Is the Golf available with acoustic glass?
>> Just a thought, but our A3 is, I think, on the same platform as your
>> Golf and is fitted with a acoustic windscreen. I assume the logic is the road
>> noise is more apparent in an EV, even a plug-in one like ours, and so
>> more money is spent to offset it. It’s fitted with continental tyres (on, unfortunately, 18”
>> wheels) and the road noise appears well suppressed. Is the Golf available with acoustic glass?
>>

I don't think so. Have I ever heard of it? Heated windscreens now for VW but I think I am right is saying I'm sure they also shave some thickness of all the glass windows to save weight.

>> Also maybe try a demo Golf at a couple of dealers if on different tyres.
>>

Been there. Don that. Running all tyres at 31psi which is much nearer to recommended pressures on previous two Golf. All new cars with obsession with economy are recommending pressures for my current car of 35psi under normal conditions! Far too high and uncomfortable. 31psi or fractionally lower is far preferable.
Been in a demo Golf and it was noisy but had two different makes of tyre on front and rear.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 01:54
 Quietest tyres to fit. - CGNorwich
Is not the real problem here nothing to do with tyres but is in fact a product of your anxiety?

Perhaps some sort of counselling would help and in the long run would be money better spent than on tyres and new cars.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Dog
>>Perhaps some sort of counselling would help and in the long run would be money better spent than on tyres and new cars.

Mayhap the Oldgit could buy a property with a failing (fouled!) sceptic tank soakaway to reFocus his mind somewhat.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - DP
I can't comment on the BluResponse, but the Dunlop SportMaxx fitted to the Mini are noisy, and less than impressive in the wet. I'm so unimpressed with them that I'm going to swap them front to rear as they wear so that I can replace the set of four with something different.

I've never experienced a set of Dunlop tyres that I thought were much cop, personally. Going right back to the old SP Sports, they always seem to be poor in the wet.
Thanks to the psychiatrist here who have so easily analysed my current state of mind and as you say has been exacerbated by recent events.
Yes, the tyre world and its reviews are full of BS and should be taken with a pinch of salt.
I think my Tinnitus background and perhaps awareness of certain frequencies now has also contributed to the problem.
I use a roof rack quite a lot, but when I do, there's always a resonant drone from it, particularly at higher speeds. If I focus on it, I can get quite annoyed by it, but if I just decide to ignore it, it becomes unnoticeable. It could be that you can just convince yourself to accept that the noise exists and choose to ignore it, treat it as insignificant?
 Quietest tyres to fit. - devonite
Been watching this thread with a bit of interest! - the Skoda is almost ready for two new fronts, It's on Mitchellin's at the mo' (205/55/16) and is quite road noisy on our almost gravel roads!. I've spoken to various tyre people about it, and three of them have said Fulda's (run at 36psi) would suit it best, never had them before but I'm thinking 3 out of 7 may be right, so they are what I am going to fit when I've squeezed the last mile out of these!
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Manatee
I had a couple of sets of Dunlops 20+ years ago, I have never seen so many weights on the wheels. Not saying it's a trend, I could have been unlucky or perhaps the tyre fitters I was using at the time weren't the best!
>>> never experienced a set of Dunlop tyres that I thought were much cop... always seem to be poor in the wet.

Personal perception is an odd thing but good... or we'd all drive a Golf on Michelins.

Actually it's not just personal perception it's test results too where one outfit will test a tyre near top for a particular aspect... and another near bottom.

I fit Dunlops mainly as I've found their range of the past few years to enable wet road driving to be undertaken at virtually dry speeds (within reason of course).

>> I've never experienced a set of Dunlop tyres that I thought were much cop, personally.
>> Going right back to the old SP Sports, they always seem to be poor in
>> the wet.

The old SP sports didnt seem to be poor in the wet. They were positively ruddy lethal in the wet.
>> The old SP sports didnt seem to be poor in the wet. They were positively
>> ruddy lethal in the wet.

And so were Pirelli Cinturatos of the 50/60s on my Austin Healey Sprites.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 01:55

>> I've never experienced a set of Dunlop tyres that I thought were much cop, personally.
>> Going right back to the old SP Sports, they always seem to be poor in
>> the wet.
>>

A slightly different matter though Dunlop Roadrunners circa early '80s were brilliant in the wet, I don't think I have felt as confident on a bike in the wet since.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Harleyman

>> Mayhap the Oldgit could buy a property with a failing (fouled!) sceptic tank soakaway to
>> reFocus his mind somewhat.
>>

I don't believe sceptic tanks exist. ;-)
>> I don't believe sceptic tanks exist. ;-)

Well some people, like myself, are non-believers!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 01:55
 Quietest tyres to fit. - bathtub tom
The only tyres I've ever had problems with (in 50 years) were Dunlops.
From bulges to out of round, one pair had the tread weaving from side to side across the tyre and one memorable pair wore rapidly on one side as if the tracking was out - it wasn't. That had the tyre place scratching their head until they took a wheel off and found the tyre was a significantly larger diameter on one side of the tread.

Never bought any Dunlop since and am trying hard to wear out the pair still on my current car so I can replace them with something else.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Bobby
In 30 years of driving I have never thought

these tyres are noisy
these tyres are quiet
these tyres are great in wet
these tyres are great in dry

tyres are, well, tyres aren't they?

And they will only ever briefly be able to provide the grip that they are tested for unless you will keep replacing them after they lose a mm of tread.
I'd sort of agree with you Bobby, if it wasn't for the set of Singalongamax, or whatever it was they were branded, I once put on a car because it needed tyres and I was skint. They were noisy, and wet grip was terrible.
I just replace my tyres with the same type if available. Can't say I have ever really though much about the things, certainly not what noise they make.

>>>tyres are, well, tyres aren't they? ...And they will only ever briefly be able to provide the grip that they are tested for unless you will keep replacing them after they lose a mm of tread.

Tyres vary a great deal... in the same way as cars do in their handling ability. It doesn't really matter if you don't worry about either as most mainstream tyres and most mainstream cars are very safe now compared with 40-60yrs ago.

But if you're keen on such things it's great to drive a car that handles well on nice rubber chosen to suit your needs.
I would agree with Bobby were it not for the one time I had some new tyres on the back end of my Merc and they were absolutely lethal. Tolerable in the dry, but terrible, really terrible in the wet.

Of course, the slight flaw is that these days I don't have the slightest clue what brand they were. Ho hum.

>> And they will only ever briefly be able to provide the grip that they are
>> tested for unless you will keep replacing them after they lose a mm of tread.
>>

Strangely evenly worn tyres nearing the legal limit will provide more grip on perfectly dry roads than brand new tyres as it's all about how much rubber is on the road. So broadly they start off being at there best in the wet and actually get better in grip terms in the dry as they get older.
>> In 30 years of driving I have never thought
>>
>> these tyres are noisy. these tyres are quiet. these tyres are great in wet these tyres are great in dry
>>
>> tyres are, well, tyres aren't they?

In over 50 years of driving ...
For many years I could not afford to think much about tyres except for condition, pressure, wear pattern or tracking .
20 years ago I certainly knew my tyres were noisy but had to wait until they were down to the the wear bars to change to a quiet make.
5 years ago with a change of car it was back to noisy tyres but I could afford to bin them for quiet tyres.
Perhaps I notice the noise level more than many others?
I have never been a high annual mileage motorist and for 99.9% of the time I drive with all windows closed.
I sometimes listen to R4 or a traffic report and have never used the CD player in my current car.

It does puzzle me when I read folks praising and fitting a tyre brand I prematurely binned.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Crankcase
I too notice noisy tyres and always have. I did spend a little while trying, on tyre replacement, to find the quietest at the time, and found it complex and not that rewarding. The only times I found a real difference was when when owning "higher end" executive cars, which I imagine just had more soundproofing and acoustic glass etc.

So the quietest car I drove was a Bentley, the quietest I owned by far was the Lexus LS, then the Lexus GS. The Jaguar S type was quiet (while the XJC was very very not). The Mondeo Ghia X and the Vauxhall Senator were quiet. The Carlton was only fairly quiet.

Everything else, from the Morris Minor, Ford Escort, the Prius, Auris, and so on, right though to the Volvo S60 were nothing like so quiet, whatever tyres they had.

My Zoe EV is silent under the bonnet at all times but tyre noise at speed is on a par with the noisier ones really.

So yes, change the car.
>>My Zoe EV is silent under the bonnet at all times but tyre noise at speed is on a par with the noisier ones really

The road surface will have a big effect on tyre noise of course - surfaces with a high amount of granite chippings are much noisier than than the nice smooth tarmaced roads, whatever tyres are fitted.

>>So yes, change the car.

My suggestion for the Oldgit [apart from having his bumps felt :)] is to take up the offer from MINI to have a 48 hour test drive of their Countryman so that (A) he can see if he likes Sitty Uppy Vehicles and (B) compare the tyre/road/vehicle noise to his present car.

www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/range/mini-countryman.html
I shall change my car but not this side of Christmas but thanks for all your interest and also a set of ear plugs would solve a lot of problems. My partner, if with me in the car, doesn't like the radio on and so ear plugs would solve two birds with one stone - not having to listen to here either!
A set of decent noise cancelling headphones would solve all your problems. No need to listen to music, just switch them on and your world will become a quieter place.
>>just switch them on and your world will become a quieter place.

Not if yew suffer from tinnitus.
That's inside your head though.
They certainly block out the outside world

Wearing noise cancelling headphones while driving a car, is that legal?
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Bromptonaut
>> Wearing noise cancelling headphones while driving a car, is that legal?

I don't think it's specifically illegal but wearing headphones and driving isn't sensible. Few cars are so soundproof that you cant hear nearby vehicles, emergency sirens etc - never mind a blast on the horn aimed specifically at you*.

* Had that a few weeks ago. Taking caravan back to store and, having crossed roundabout was trying to merge into left lane here goo.gl/maps/3BMoJGXUiYr . Didn't clock a BMW coming up (too?) fast on my nearside until I heard his horn. He nearly ended up on verge but no harm done and an apologetic wave on my part averted any further confrontation.
Noise cancelling only blocks out constant ambient noise like the drone of an aircraft engine. It does not block sharp irregular noise like an alarm or siren
Tis interesting how noise-cancelling headphones work www.cnet.com/uk/news/how-do-noise-cancelling-headphones-work/#! I 'spose you final salary merchants have a pair of Bose jobbies :)

I see on Amazon that they can be had for very little Monet but, I wonder if they are any good at cancelling noise. Some appear to get quite good reviews but perhaps their shortcoming is in the music reproduction department.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Mapmaker
Goodyear Efficient Grip rated quietest and best wet-stopping efficiency last time I looked. No need for a trade off. And they were cheap - Kwik Fit online purchase.

They're certainly quiet, and they are tyres.
And they are round. I might try some, if I ever wear out the everlasting Toyo's on the Outlander. They grip surprisingly well, but they make a lot of noise with it.
>> Goodyear Efficient Grip rated quietest and best wet-stopping efficiency last time I looked. No need
>> for a trade off. And they were cheap - Kwik Fit online purchase.
>>
>> They're certainly quiet, and they are tyres.
>>
>>

Yes, If we're supposed to believe anything these do come out well but I have got to convince the other half. In the 15 months I have owned my car, it has already had almost two set of tyres fitted but admittedly the last three were replaced as a result of this July's accident and the 'odd' tyre had been replaced last Christmas as a result of an unrepairable puncture. Both sets were Michelin Primacy 3 variously sourced (i.e Spain and Germany).
It does seem a bit excessive to go replacing new tyres, but much cheaper and less aggro than changing the car for a new one (which might come with the 'wrong' tyres!).

I completely sympathise - I can be irritated by noises too.
>> It does seem a bit excessive to go replacing new tyres, but much cheaper and
>> less aggro than changing the car for a new one (which might come with the
>> 'wrong' tyres!).
>>
>> I completely sympathise - I can be irritated by noises too.
>>

It is only ca £270 per set which, in my money, isn't a lot and I know people who spend so much on their TV viewing what with Satellite/Cable TV and changing TV sets for the latest models, which I wouldn't dream of paying. It is horses for courses, isn't it?
>> It
>> is horses for courses, isn't it?

Oh god no, dont go buying one of them, you think your tyres are noisy, try shod hooves on cobblestones, drive you nuts it would. And I can assure you, all horse shoes come with one DB rating - NOISY*

(* yes I know you can get less noisy horseshoes, yes I know the royal horseflesh in Windsor are shod with them when the queen is at residence, but that would spoilt the comedic value of the post now wouldn't it)
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Oct 17 at 15:35
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Mapmaker
And wet grip - indeed dry grip - on tarmac pretty rubbish.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Cliff Pope
I can't say I've ever noticed tyre noise from inside a car - surely it's bystanders who are mostly affected? Cars have suspension and sound-proofing to iron out such things for the occupants.
I do notice driving a LandRover with chunky tyres that it makes a nice droning noise. And some road surfaces are inherently noisy, like those bits of motorway with concrete ridges across.
Some tyre centres have especially noisy hard shiny painted floors, designed to make a loud sqealing noise at any speed. But I presume that a deliberate safety measure, like roundabout rumble strips.
 Quietest tyres to fit. - smokie
Get yourself an electric car, it's the only noise you hear!! :-)
 Quietest tyres to fit. - Bill Payer
The mk6 Golf (a basic model so I'm sure won't have the multi-link rear suspension) our daughter has is impressively refined on its 205/55R16 Michelin Cross Climate tyres. I was concerned that the XL rating (CC's are only available in XL) might mean a stiffer ride, but in practice it's not noticeable.

My Merc came with Bridgestone's and was horrendous for ride and noise. Rears wore first and replaced with Michelin Primacy but didn't make much difference. Eventually I replaced the fronts and with Primacy's and the difference was remarkable.
Latest Forum Posts