Motoring Discussion > Insurance claims and road markings Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Insurance claims and road markings - Bobby
As part of the new M8 works we now have two new layouts on roundabout approaches.

There are no lane signage at side of road, just painted line markings. One part is particularly bad and on average, I see 3 near misses a week on it during my morning commute.

Unfortunately google maps not yet updated but the cause of the issues is drivers in inside lane cutting across the lane on the roundabout to take the second slip rather than the first.

I was wondering if accident happened here is it clear whose fault it is ie. left hand vehicle has crossed lane markings and hit other vehicle? Or would ins cos nowadays go 50/50 on this sort of thing?

Interesting, on one of the other roundabouts closeby, when they lined it all, they have actually deliberately left gaps in the lines at each slip road? Wonder why??
 Insurance claims and road markings - R.P.
Drove to Wolverhampton and Nottingham last month - both places unfamiliar to me, worn out road markings are a nightmare - especially in the wet. Easy to go wrong. Easier on a bike but still hazardous.
 Insurance claims and road markings - Manatee
I've had that frustration in Wolverhampton recently too.

When in Wolverhampton BTW, always try to make it lunchtime and visit the Great Western in Sun Street for a half of Batham's bitter and a hot pork roll.
 Insurance claims and road markings - smokie
>> hot pork roll.

not a euphemism I hope... :-)
 Insurance claims and road markings - Manatee
>> >> hot pork roll.
>>
>> not a euphemism I hope... :-)

In some parts of Wolverhampton, quite possibly!
 Insurance claims and road markings - TheManWithNoName
Road markings don't cause accidents - driver's do. So an insurance claim received with blame attributed to painted lines, signage or lack thereof would be knock for knock unless you have video evidence.
 Insurance claims and road markings - Bobby
So if you had an accident due to someone crossing the lines, and as part of your claim you went back and photographed the line markings, are you saying that ins company wouldnt accept that as a reason?

ie just because this lane was marked to go left, and you used it to go right and crossed over the markings, you are still not to blame?
 Insurance claims and road markings - Zero
>> So if you had an accident due to someone crossing the lines, and as part
>> of your claim you went back and photographed the line markings, are you saying that
>> ins company wouldnt accept that as a reason?

Nope, had you been more aware or careful you may have been able to avoid him.

Unless its clear cut, really clear cut - like you crossed on a green light and charlie on a red tbones you, pulls out of a minor road on you., hits you up the bum while you are waiting at a red, something easy to prove backed up by a police prosecution, then the insurance company are not interested in apportioning blame and costs. They have nothing to gain by helping you keep your NCB
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 27 Oct 17 at 15:08
Latest Forum Posts