Motoring Discussion > This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 22

This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Hard Cheese
Saw this on a car today, a newish small Skoda, it was struggling to pass a National Express coach on the M5. I thought to myself why? Why choose to restrict a car to 70mph as it only impacts on motorways and dual carriageways, it could still do 70 in a 30 afterall, and if it's a company car is the company being too big brother ish?
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Runfer D'Hills
Could just be an especially nerdy person trying to make a point. Possibly the only modification is the sticker? Not that I'm sneering at careful driving you understand, but it smells a bit of someone with adenoids, a tank top and a dash cam.

;-)
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Bromptonaut
>> Saw this on a car today, a newish small Skoda, it was struggling to pass
>> a National Express coach on the M5. I thought to myself why? Why choose to
>> restrict a car to 70mph as it only impacts on motorways and dual carriageways, it
>> could still do 70 in a 30 afterall, and if it's a company car is
>> the company being too big brother ish?

Company vehicle. Restricted for H&S but probably with a coating of greenwash. Vans run by organisations like Royal Mail and British Gas have been thus limited for years only time before same rules applied for cars.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 31 Oct 17 at 19:19
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - TheManWithNoName
On the subject of signs on the back of vehicles, tonight I read on a Dynorod van that the company name and even the fluorescent colour was a registered trade mark. Who knew you could register a colour!
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Manatee
See Cadburys, chocolate, purple.

Probably not much they can do unless someone is using it to brand a drain cleaning business.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Haywain
I was glad that my old Mondeo GLS wasn't restricted to 70 when cerebro-spinal fluid was squirting out of the side of our infant daughter's head* and we had to get her down the A14 to Addenbrookes in double-quick time.
* Ventriculo-preitoneal shunt gone wrong.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - rtj70
And back then if the police had initially stopped you they would have gone ahead with the blue lights to clear the road ahead I would think.

I hope she recovered fully from the ordeal.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 2 Nov 17 at 21:32
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Old Navy
When a friend's daughter was scalded and was being taken to A&E at high speed a passing traffic police car put mum and daughter in the police car and told dad not to try and keep up with them but drive to the hospital at normal speed.
" a passing traffic police car put mum and daughter in the police car and told dad not to try and keep up with them but drive to the hospital at normal speed."

That makes sense - better drivers in a better car, and not encumbered with the emotional thing.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - zippy
Yes, similar happened with a friend when their kid was having breathing difficulties.

Cops stopped them. Saw problem, transferred them over to their car and took them to A&E with blues and twos all the way.

"I hope she recovered fully from the ordeal."

Thanks, yes. This was around 30 years ago and shunts were always going wrong in those days; I would hope that they have developed since then. And, of course, there wasn't the traffic density on the A14 that there is now.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - zippy
>>Thanks, yes.

Glad to hear that HW!
My thougut was if it's a private car then why? Or if it's a company then is someone paying BIK on it and if so are their rights infringed?

Either way it's like any overzealous speed enforcement, it dumbs down and give the perception that it's OK to do 70 all day rather than encouraging responsibility and control.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Zero
>> My thougut was if it's a private car then why? Or if it's a company
>> then is someone paying BIK on it and if so are their rights infringed?

Rights infringed? A company car does not come with Rights, it comes with conditions, even if you are paying a BiK.
>> >> My thougut was if it's a private car then why? Or if it's a
>> company
>> >> then is someone paying BIK on it and if so are their rights infringed?
>>
>> Rights infringed? A company car does not come with Rights, it comes with conditions, even
>> if you are paying a BiK.
>>

Surely if you are paying tax on the benefit of having the use of the vehicle based on it's value, specification and performance then you have a right to enjoy (both meanings) it to the same extent as any other driver of a similar vehicle?
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Zero

>> Surely if you are paying tax on the benefit of having the use of the
>> vehicle based on it's value, specification and performance then you have a right to enjoy
>> (both meanings) it to the same extent as any other driver of a similar vehicle?

No you don't, you have none of the rights of a vehicle owner, you accept the company car under the terms the employer offers. BiK is a tax, nothing to do with your employer.
>>
>> No you don't, you have none of the rights of a vehicle owner, you accept
>> the company car under the terms the employer offers. BiK is a tax, nothing to
>> do with your employer.
>>

No, if you are paying tax on the benefit you have a right to receive the benefit so that's a car to the full taxable specification available 24/7-365.

I have heard it successfully argued in favour of the driver when a company has said that colleagues should be able to borrow their company car during the day.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - No FM2R
Are you seriously defending the top speed of your vehicle as a right? i.e. the right to have the facility to break the law?

Dear God, talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.
>> Are you seriously defending the top speed of your vehicle as a right? i.e. the
>> right to have the facility to break the law?
>>

No, it's the principal, the point is that paying tax on a benefit entitles you to that full benefit, not only 6 days a week, not minus the electric windows, not a 1.4 rather than a 1.6 etc ...

This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - No FM2R
Right. Well good luck with that.
>> Right. Well good luck with that.
>>

??

I don't have a company car, the last one I had was ten years ago ish, the thread is simplyt speculating on why a car, not a van, would have a "restricted to 70mph" sign on it, was it a private car, company car, hire car? Who knows.

Though IMO it does not make sense on any level, as I said above it's like any overzealous speed enforcement, it dumbs down and give the perception that it's OK to do 70 all day rather than encouraging responsibility. Any of course it only applies on motorways and dual carriageways, the driver can still keep his foot planted and do 70 through road works, more than double the urban sped limit etc.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - commerdriver
>> Surely if you are paying tax on the benefit of having the use of the
>> vehicle based on it's value, specification and performance then you have a right to enjoy
>> (both meanings) it to the same extent as any other driver of a similar vehicle?
>>
You are paying tax on the whole company car thing, not just the provision of the car bur also servicing, repairs, insurance replacement car when it is off the road, peace of mind, reliable new vehicle for less than its real cost would be to you etc.
In. return most organisations expect you to be sensible with it, so that it is available & suitable for you to turn up at a client site or travel elsewhere to do your job.
 This vehicle is limited to 70mph ... - Dave_
My van (63 plate Vauxhall Combo, ex-fleet) is limited to 80mph. Suits me just fine as it's only a 1.3CDTI, 80mph corresponds to about 3,300rpm. Should stop it blowing up any time soon.

Caused me a bit of frustration on a run across Germany en route to Austria last week, mind you.
Latest Forum Posts