Motoring Discussion > MG - 7-yr warranty Car Deals
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 36

MG - 7-yr warranty - movilogo
MG now offers 7-yr warranty in UK.

The MG ZS looks good.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - CGNorwich
A sign of desperation. Sales must be awful.

MG - 7-yr warranty - No FM2R
So how many years would you take as indicating quality before it stepped over into desperation?
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Zero
well I know the quality of an MG is not 2.3 times better than a Ford.

Sales were and are dire before the 7 year warranty offer.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - sooty123
Probably an attempt to break into the market from a low base. Kia and hyundai were in similar position 10-15 years ago. Who knows where they'll be in 10 years?
>> Probably an attempt to break into the market from a low base. Kia and hyundai
>> were in similar position 10-15 years ago. Who knows where they'll be in 10 years?

The Korean cars arrived with little in the way of history or expectation so only one way for them, up. The name MG has plenty of both, none of which have been fulfilled for the last few years, and unless a stonking sports car is built and brought overtly never will. The last few efforts have been dire
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Nov 17 at 21:04
 MG - 7-yr warranty - sooty123
Maybe, but I wonder of the car buyers for many cars are white goods. So I'm not sure how much baggage they carry. I suppose there's only one way to find out.
It's a commercial decision. Long term warranties cost money and are a marketing strategy rather than an indicator of quality although granted that the more reliable the car the less they cost.

If sales are good without them there is no need to give a warranty greater than that of the competitors.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - No FM2R
Years ago was it Daewoo or some like that who suddenly popped up 10 year warranties?
 MG - 7-yr warranty - zippy
>>It's a commercial decision.

And a buying one.

I looked at several small SUVs (Kuga sized). I would have liked a CRV but they were too expensive. The Kuga made the short list as did the Tiguan.

However, I do 25,000 miles per year and the warranty would expire before I was going to return the car so I went for a Hyundai Tuscon with a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Spec wise my car beats the other two, performance wise and comfort, they are on a par and I have a little less worry when I get to 60k miles.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - spamcan61
>> A sign of desperation. Sales must be awful.
>>
>>
Indeed, you've only got to look at the figures over on howmanyleft, particularly considering that those figures are cars registered rather than cars sold. I see at least 10 times as many Teslas on the road as MGs.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Dog
=>The MG ZS looks good.

"The MG ZS is an undeniably cheap car and MG should be applauded for going headfirst into such a fiercely-contested sector of the market. However, while the ZS’s cash price is a few thousand pounds less than its rivals', it is a few thousand pounds less car.

The below-average drive and cheap interior may not be the end of the world for many buyers given the price, yet – for us – the serious lack of safety kit spoils the MG ZS as a prospective family car. Big space and a seven-year warranty may appeal, yet they don’t stop the ZS from being soundly beaten by almost all of its contemporaries"
www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/mg/mg-zs-crossover-2017-review1/

:-(
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Auntie Lockbrakes
Mitsubishi proudly market their 10-year warranty in these Antipodean parts. It's probably full of clauses and terms but is a great marketing tool. And the cars sell well (sharp pricing admittedly must help).
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Manatee

>> the serious lack of safety
>> kit spoils the MG ZS as a prospective family car.

This sounds ominous…

It is. For while the ZS comes with the usual host of airbags, two ISOFIX points, ESP stability control and ABS anti-lock brakes, there’s precious little else in the way of safety kit.

So that means no autonomous emergency braking (AEB), no blindspot monitoring, no lane-departure warning, no cross-traffic alert and no multi-collision braking. Either as standard or as an option – none of this potentially lifesaving kit is available on the ZS.

? There isn't one of those in the last paragraph that I consider essential, or even desirable with the possible exception of multi-collision braking although I had to look that up. I don't think any of our cars has any of them.

I would be deterred by the three star rating but it can't be the absence of that lot that is responsible. What's cross traffic alert for? Reversing out of your drive without looking? Then you forget you are in the other car that doesn't have it...

>> I would be deterred by the three star rating but it can't be the absence
>> of that lot that is responsible.

There is no NCAP rating for the car yet, but without AEB 3 is the maximum it can get.

As for AEB not being desirable, I can assure you it is, life saving in fact. Its about the only one of those safety systems that is genuinely worthwhile. It stopped the Volvo hitting a young girl that ran out into the road between parked cars and in front of me.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Old Navy
These systems are dumbing down driving, drivers cause collisions, not cars. I suppose if you can't see a bus you need all the help you can get with your driving.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Dog
>>These systems are dumbing down driving, drivers cause collisions, not cars. I suppose if you can't see a bus you need all the help you can get with your driving.

*LUDDITE ALERT*

:o}
I may be a luddite, my car has these systems and more than those mentioned. I have yet to provoke any of them into action although I don't hold up any traffic. I assume the phone users find them useful. :-)
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Dog
>>I may be a luddite, my car has these systems and more than those mentioned. I have yet to provoke any of them into action although I don't hold up any traffic. I assume the phone users find them useful. :-)

I have voice-activated sat naff and climate control in my old crate, but I'm yet to use either of them in the 10 months I've owned the car.

I could have done with the sat naff on Thursday mind, when I got lost on Bodmin Moor going from Golitha Falls to Bolventor, but hey ho, I enjoyed going the long (wrong) way round anyway.

You believe that the awareness levels and reaction times of an elderly driver like yourself are superior to AEB technology. I hope you are never put in a position to test that theory.
Maybe I am aware of my limitations and drive within my capabilities. I can assure you my car will not hit anything without my input and should I have a collision I will not blame the car as many seem to with statements like " The car skidded" " The car didn't stop" etc. When they mean "I lost control" or " I didn't see you".
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 5 Nov 17 at 09:02
The Outlander has five stars and no AEB.
>> The Outlander has five stars and no AEB.

Your outlander is an older design, New cars need AEB to get 5 stars under updated NCAP ratings. NCAp minimum standards are constantly evolving as technology becomes commonplace.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 5 Nov 17 at 09:25
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Auntie Lockbrakes
My 2015 Outlander VRX does have AEB, Manatee..?! Different spec for here in NZ maybe...?
>> My 2015 Outlander VRX does have AEB, Manatee..?! Different spec for here in NZ maybe...?

Must be. If mine has it, I must keep getting there first!
 MG - 7-yr warranty - rtj70
>> What's cross traffic alert for

When reversing (e.g. out of a parking space with limited sideways rear visibility,) it will be using the radar in the rear bumper (the same that's providing blind spot monitoring) to alert you of cars approaching and will even stop the car or slow it down if you don't do it yourself.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 5 Nov 17 at 10:28
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> When reversing (e.g. out of a parking space with limited sideways rear visibility,) it will
>> be using the radar in the rear bumper (the same that's providing blind spot monitoring)
>> to alert you of cars approaching and will even stop the car or slow it
>> down if you don't do it yourself.
>>
Quite useful now that manufacturers have replaced the rear windscreen with a letterbox.
At our local Tesco, people drive too fast and do not often stop to let someone complete a reversing manoeuvre. They just shoot past at speed even though you might still be moving. So it will be handy to have a 180 degree view from a camera back up with radar.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Runfer D'Hills
More or less all my life I've had cars which were laden to the roof with various detritus. Rarely been able to see through the back window, but still needed to park in town centres and car parks etc. My latest car has all the gadgets, including beepers front and back and a reversing camera. But, I can't say I consciously use them, just too used to using the door mirrors for everything and a sense of how wide and long my car is. Old tricks like looking for the reflection of your car in a shop window or any shiny surface as you parallel park still work very well.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - MD
REVERSE in. DRIVE out.
>> REVERSE in. DRIVE out.

How do you get the shopping trolley full of groceries to the back of the car if you reverse in?

MD do you do the shopping or does your wife do that out of interest?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 5 Nov 17 at 22:25
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Bobby
My local tesco has a pavement that runs the length of the car park so you can reverse park and then walk your trolley down the pavement to your boot.

Of course I always park at the far end of the car park as well, much to my wife's annoyance!! Gets the old stepcount up ye see.....
There are covered walkways across two sections of the car park near my closest Tesco but the rest of the large car park does not. I hope you're not like the ones at this Tesco who abandon trolleys behind their car because there's no short route to the trolley bay :-)

It's a Tesco Extra and is quite large. And so is the car park.
 MG - 7-yr warranty - Rudedog
Just a question.. are these long warranties transferable to the new owner if sold?

What is the average length of ownership for new cars these days?
>> Just a question.. are these long warranties transferable to the new owner if sold?
>>
>> What is the average length of ownership for new cars these days?
>>

As a general rule they are. Of course second hand buyers have no contract with the original selling dealer etc.

As an oddity, a few years ago when Vauxhall offered a lifetime warranty (effectively 10 years), it was not transferable and didn't cover company / fleet cars.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 5 Nov 17 at 15:24
 MG - 7-yr warranty - VxFan
>> As an oddity, a few years ago when Vauxhall offered a lifetime warranty (effectively 10
>> years), it was not transferable

Initially it was, providing the vehicle was < 1yr old it was transferable, then they changed the goal posts.
>> >> As an oddity, a few years ago when Vauxhall offered a lifetime warranty (effectively
>> 10
>> >> years), it was not transferable
>>
>> Initially it was, providing the vehicle was < 1yr old it was transferable, then they
>> changed the goal posts.
>>

Its a shame, because, I like Vauxhalls, despite all the ones that I have "owned" having had some form of breakdown or expensive mechanical issue.

I would have gotten an Astra Tourer or Insignia this time around as they are keenly priced, but because of my experiences, I would have needed the extended warranty for peace of mind!

I suppose I take the view that mechanical things will break. I just don't want to be left with the bill when they do.
Latest Forum Posts