Motoring Discussion > Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 11

Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - hawkeye
a smack in the mouth.

Mrs H, visiting friends last night about 20 miles away came outside to her car which had a flat tyre. It was dark. Now Mrs H is perfectly capable of changing a wheel but her friend said she should return indoors for another drink (of coffee) while her male friend changed the wheel.

An hour later she was back complaining of rattling form the front of the car, minimal at a constant speed, more pronounced while braking or accelerating. I checked the wheel bolts and found them all loose on the wheel that had been changed. Not that it should make any difference but the normal wheels are alloys and the spare is steel with welded spacers so the same wheel bolts can be used.

Did you check the wheel bolts dear ?
No; he seemed to know what he was doing.
Will you next time ?

I haven't found the locking wheel bolt key yet either.

Insert appropriate swear word(s).
Last edited by: hawkeye on Tue 7 Nov 17 at 18:42
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - Old Navy
I occasionally wonder if locking wheel nuts are worth the bother. I remove them for services, tyre changes etc. I suppose it depends where you live or where the car is left overnight. It may be easier to steal the car and remove the wheels at your leisure. Has anyone here had their wheels (minus car) stolen?
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - Bromptonaut
>> I occasionally wonder if locking wheel nuts are worth the bother.

Tend to think same. Might have had some merit when 'alloys' were a premium product. These days they're standard on anything north of base model and have lost any cachet they might have held. Didn't want them on the Berlingo but getting steels + hubcaps was more not less expense.
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - Robin O'Reliant
Many moons ago I bought a two year old Pug 309 with steel wheels. For whatever reason the previous owner had fitted locking wheel nuts. I never noticed that each wheel had a lock nut, but did wonder what the funny little hex shaped gizmo with all the pins was doing rattling round in the glove box(I'd never had a car with alloys up to then). After a few months I binned it, thinking it was nothing to do with the car but something that had just been left there.

Then came the day I needed a couple of tyres...
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - bathtub tom
>>Might have had some merit when 'alloys' were a premium product. These days they're standard on anything north of base model and have lost any cachet they might have held.

I'd prefer steels, but when I bought my Yaris steels were only available on the poverty spec 1.0 litre models. I wanted a poverty spec 1.3
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - CGNorwich
Why do you prefer steel wheels?
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - Lygonos
Same reason as I have steelies on the FRV.

So the gaffer can't wreck them.
>> Why do you prefer steel wheels?

They're easier to clean. They can be easily re-painted if they start to corrode. I don't give a damn for aesthetic appearance.
I appreciate the advantage of lower unsprung weight for competition use. I don't use my car for competition.
I've heard numerous accounts of 'diamond cut' alloys corroding. Having them on a car would prevent me from buying it.
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - CGNorwich
Ah well each to their own. Your choice of car must be a bit limited these days. Seems a fairly trivial reason not to choose a particular vehicle if it otherwise suits.

Incidentally if you don't give a damn about aesthetic appearance why do you care about a bit of corrosion on the wheels or bother cleaning and painting them ? Just leave them be.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 8 Nov 17 at 09:16
>>if you don't give a damn about aesthetic appearance why do you care about a bit of corrosion on the wheels or bother cleaning and painting them ?

Because you get a better price when you sell the car.
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - jc2

>> I appreciate the advantage of lower unsprung weight for competition use. I don't use my
>> car for competition.

Most alloy wheels are heavier than steels-competition vehicles use magnesium wheels which are light but incredibly expensive and extremely inflammable.
 Citroen C3 - One good turn deserves ... - VxFan
>> I occasionally wonder if locking wheel nuts are worth the bother.

With tyre prices these days, it's not only the alloys thieves are now stealing.
Latest Forum Posts