Motoring Discussion > Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 21

Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Hard Cheese
Impressive, doesn't sound that great though, I guess the V8 has a flat plane crank ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4gar5dKAU&t=314s
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - bathtub tom
It's a V8 and if it's ninety degree, then a flat plane crank could give it even firing intervals.
>> It's a V8 and if it's ninety degree, then a flat plane crank could give
>> it even firing intervals.
>>

A flat plane V8 is like two inline 4 cyl engines running together 90 deg apart (assuming it's a 90 deg V).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzrOPPZFzs
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Wed 8 Nov 17 at 11:13
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - movilogo
Last time when I flew on RyanAir, I checked measured take off speed using my phone.

It was 287 km/h or 178 mph

Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Zero
Indeed, which is why the designers have to work so hard to keep the cars stuck to the road,

Sometimes they fail

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcGPf-fLV0

Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Stuartli
>> It was 287 km/h or 178 mph>>

It's around 200mph for a Jumbo, but I recall that the BAe 1-11 used to takeoff and land at what seemed frightening speeds at the time.
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Boxsterboy
Completely and utterly irrelevant for a road legal car. Indeed this car (and others like it) should be refused Type Approval because of its excessive and dangerous speed.
my new car is limited to 156 mph is that a safe level?

my current car is capable of 125mph in a 20 mph speed limit, is that safe? should they both be banned?

if i bought a koenigsegg can you show me where on a uk road i could get up to 284 mph?
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - bathtub tom
>>if i bought a koenigsegg can you show me where on a uk road i could get up to 284 mph?

Legally? The IOM, although I doubt you'll find a bit of road where it's possible.
No, I don't mean legally I mean physically. Where can you find an open, empty, straight stretch of road in the UK where you could get a car up to 284mph.

I would think its not possible, if for no other reason than the fact the road surface wont let you, or there are bad cambers or humps that prevent it.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Nov 17 at 23:23
The Koenigsegg Agera RS can do 0-250-0 in little more than two miles and around 36 seconds. There are numerous two Mile stretches that it could hit 250mph plus.

Though as you suggest that's not the point - just because it's quite possible to do 100 mph in a 30 limit in a £200, 15 year old Corsa do we all drive at 100mph in 30 limits, no ...
>> Completely and utterly irrelevant for a road legal car. Indeed this car (and others like
>> it) should be refused Type Approval because of its excessive and dangerous speed.
>>

So how many accidents have been caused by 200 mph + hypercars?

someone wrote off a veyron near me, wasnt at 200 mph tho, think it was about 70, and that is the point. you can write off any modern car because its fast.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Nov 17 at 23:25
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - CGNorwich
Is there any genuinely justifiable case why the top speed of road vehicles should not be limited to say 90mph?
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - rtj70
German autobahns?
>> Is there any genuinely justifiable case why the top speed of road vehicles should not
>> be limited to say 90mph?

If you can tell me that a significant number of crashes and deaths on our roads are caused by cars traveling in excess of 90 mph, then no there is no justifiable case.
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Bobby
Its a thought though, if only the engineering worked that way.
Most cars now will do 100+ and a high proportion over 110s as well.

So how much of the engine development etc is going in to have that available but maybe never used and could the engine be adjusted to make it more usuable in the lower speeds?

Probably the answer a few years ago would be yes but the ICE probably has got to the stage that you cant get brisk around town acceleration without having surplus power available at the higher end of the scales.

I have had my diesel Civic over the ton on several occasions so it is do-able, but the other side is I can return 60mpg sitting at 70mph which a few years ago would have been unheard of.

Of course we could go American muscle car where they sound great but can't pull more than 60mph!

Or is electric the answer to day to day car, keep up with traffic, but rapidly runs out of steam around the legal limits?
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Bobby
But going back to this car, there is a growing demand in this world for luxury super buys, whether it be cars, yachts, clothing or whatevers, that there is no sensible logic to buy them , but there sadly are so many people with more wealth that they know what to do with who will be placing orders!
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - henry k
>> But going back to this car, there is a growing demand in this world for
>> luxury super buys, whether it be cars, yachts, clothing or whatevers, that there is no
>> sensible logic to buy them , but there sadly are so many people with more
>> wealth that they know what to do with who will be placing orders!
>>
Or a very very rare S/H car like a 1966 Ferrari 365T road car, one of only two . $30M today?

Or Steve McQueen’s vintage Heuer Monaco watch just sold for $799,500
Vintage ?
 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 284 mph - Manatee

>> So how much of the engine development etc is going in to have that available
>> but maybe never used and could the engine be adjusted to make it more usuable
>> in the lower speeds?

How quickly do you need to accelerate, or do you accelerate in 'real life'? In the 1970s, half the cars on the road would have had a 0-60 time of 20 seconds or more.

The only issue is gearing. If you want to use the full power for accelerating, use an electric motor, keep the revs up, or buy a CVT.
>> How quickly do you need to accelerate, or do you accelerate in 'real life'? In
>> the 1970s, half the cars on the road would have had a 0-60 time of
>> 20 seconds or more.

Have you tried driving a 1970s car with a 0-60 time of 20 seconds in modern traffic? Joining a motorway is a life changing experience. Specially some of those uber short slip roads.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 23:00
>> Is there any genuinely justifiable case why the top speed of road vehicles should not
>> be limited to say 90mph?
>>

Dumbing down, taking away individual responsibility, is not a way to improve safety.
Latest Forum Posts