Motoring Discussion > Motorway barriers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 13

Motorway barriers - Bobby
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-m6-closed-crash-knutsford-13880054

Anyone local able to advise are these the solid concrete barriers?
If so, I thought these were supposed to deflect and not break away?
 Motorway barriers - Old Navy
From the photo it looks like a solid concrete barrier, they will deflect a glancing blow. It looks like the lorry jackknifed and effectively turned right. Only a guess but it might have been taking avoiding action and lost it big time. In one of those if you turn and brake suddenly the momentum of the trailer tries and often succeeds in taking it straight on until its steering axle (rear axle of the tractor unit) takes over and takes it in whatever direction it is pointing in.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 13:35
 Motorway barriers - rtj70
They certainly are concrete barriers. That section of the M6 has had roadworks for a long time with the work including installing the new barriers.

I too thought the new barriers were meant to withstand an impact from an HGV.
 Motorway barriers - Pat
There's a lot of lorry drivers asking that question today too.

I don't know if you need Facebook to be able to see this pic but it shows that the barriers are not even concreted into the ground.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=144353226320025&set=p.144353226320025&type=3&theater

Pat
 Motorway barriers - Old Navy
The barriers look like the temporary ones used during the Queensferry Crossing roadworks, they were moved frequently.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 14:56
 Motorway barriers - henry k
>>I don't know if you need Facebook to be able to see this pic but it shows that the barriers are not even concreted into the ground
Yes need facebook

Much further down the the first link, if it is the same event , it shows the moved blocks.

Of course if you do need to move similar barriers in a hurry how about ZIPPER ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0Q2bDnBUc

Or big brother on the Golden Gate Bridge
A search for - motorway lane barrier moving machine shows more
 Motorway barriers - Zero
The barriers are not cemented or pegged into the ground, they are interlocked to create a taught but slightly flexible continuous barrier

Looks to me like they have done their job and kept the lorry on the right side of the road, ok so the barrier has broken and moved over half a lane. Once they break they are no longer interlocked
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 16:08
 Motorway barriers - Bobby
>>ok so the barrier has broken and moved over half a lane.

I think if I was coming the other way at 70mph I would prefer to hit a metal crash barrier that has came over rather than a ton of solid concrete!

Motorway barriers - Zero
>> >>ok so the barrier has broken and moved over half a lane.
>>
>> I think if I was coming the other way at 70mph I would prefer to
>> hit a metal crash barrier that has came over rather than a ton of solid
>> concrete!

had it been a metal crash barrier you would have met 35 tons of lorry. Take your pick.

Oh and the 35 tons of lorry would have been a moving target, so not just you would have been hitting it
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 18:21
 Motorway barriers - Bromptonaut
>> Yes need facebook

Cannot see it with Facebook either. May be in a closed group or possibly removed since Pat's post.
 Motorway barriers - Pat
It's still there and it's all over Facebook in various lorry related groups.

Facebook search for Kev Watson

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 17:37
 Motorway barriers - smokie
I'm on FB and I'm not seeing it, and there are a lot of Kev Watson's to choose from!!
 Motorway barriers - Pat
He is a lorry driver!

Pat
 Motorway barriers - Bromptonaut
>> It's still there and it's all over Facebook in various lorry related groups.

If those are closed groups then non members cannot see them. Neither is Kev Watson Lorry Driver turning up anything useful.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 17:56
Latest Forum Posts