Motoring Discussion > Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 14

Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - zippy
I have noticed a few cars in these parts recently with tow hooks fitted on each bumper, two at the front and two at the back.

These are the ones you are supposed to fit if you need a recovery tow.

I can't imagine why they are (left) fitted, but I wouldn't want to be a pedestrian hit by a car with these still in place as I reckon they could cause really bad injuries.

Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - rtj70
I thought most (all?) cars had one two hook at the front and another at the back.
 Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - Zero
I only have one two hook access point at the front and one two hook access point at the back, so I have two two hooks in twotal
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 17:42
>> I only have one two hook access point at the front and one two hook
>> access point at the back, so I have two two hooks in twotal
>>

Had a look at one of the cars in a car park. Two of the hooks were fitted through the little hole in the bumper (one front and rear). The others were fitted through hole that looked drilled.

Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - Old Navy
The local wannabe rally drivers have brightly coloured towing eyes at each end. The way they drive I would expect that they need them frequently so it is not worth removing them after use. :-)

Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - Boxsterboy
>> I have noticed a few cars in these parts recently with tow hooks fitted on
>> each bumper, two at the front and two at the back.
>>
>> I can't imagine why they are (left) fitted,
>>

It is yoofs who wannabe racing drivers. When you take a car on a racing track you have to fit towing eyes (to enable easy removal of the car if it gets stuck in an awkward position). Yoofs, by leaving their towing eyes in all the time give the impression that they spend a lot of time on a track (they don't). It's a bit like city dwellers not cleaning the mud off their Chelsea Tractors after driving through a muddy puddle in a rare foray into that there Countryside.

Towing eyes are mostly seen on older Honda Civics with lowered suspension and tyres that look too small for their gold coloured alloy wheels.
Hmm, wonder how that would effect a claim in an accident.

I imagine the hooks in would cause a lot more damage to whatever it hit.
 Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - Dave_
Do they also have the front number plate removed and displayed in one corner of the windscreen?

No idea why folk do that; I must be getting old.
 Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - CGNorwich
>> Do they also have the front number plate removed and displayed in one corner of
>> the windscreen?
>>
>> No idea why folk do that; I must be getting old.
>>

Still got Wayne and Tracy on yours?

:-)
 Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - Runfer D'Hills
Yet to reach these parts. No doubt it will. Takes them a while to catch up. They still have their front fog lights on here, and, if the Corsa/Civic/Fiesta is a model that didn't have them as standard, then they still have the bolt on ones. I do sometimes wonder what it is that correlates driving a customised hatchback with mouth breathing. Odd really.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 11 Nov 17 at 22:04
I saw a variation on the theme this afternoon, a tatty X reg BMW three series estate with a loop of nylon strap bolted into the front towing eye socket.
BMW estates y'see. Dodgy old sorts often have them they say.
;-)
I would expect proper LEC drivers to be far more trustworthy. :-)
Goes without saying really.
;-)
 Tow Hooks Deliberately Left In - R.P.
Too right
Latest Forum Posts