Motoring Discussion > Second-hand bits Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 18

Second-hand bits - Mapmaker
Gosh they're expensive. Cheapest Honda Accord sold recently on eBay, £250, in running order (very short MOT). Tail light on eBay (thanks Mr not-stop-after-accident Cyclist); thick end of £100.
 Second-hand bits - Dog
£211 for an oil change on my ole CR-V @ the pain dealer last week. They did bung some grease on the battery terminals too mind.
 Second-hand bits - Manatee
And some on the door catch for you to get on your trousers I hope.
 Second-hand bits - Dog
And the tailgate no doubt - I only took it to Honda for the stamp, being the car came with fool dealer history.

Waste of money I reckon, on a 7 year old jalopy. My 10 year-old Forester had FDSH, but it didn't get me any more spondulics come part ex for the Honda.

Maybe a Subaru dealer would have offered me more, but I didn't fancy Lineartronic.
 Second-hand bit - martin aston
£211 is steep. The official Honda site offers a "Honda 12" service, including oil and filter change for £160 or £265 with air and pollen filters and brake fluid change. £20 more for diesel. In each case they include a list of checks of dubious value but all manufacturers do the same.

I would call the dealer to query the £211 if all you got was an oil change and a squirt of grease.

Last edited by: martin aston on Fri 10 Nov 17 at 15:21
 Second-hand bit - Dog
>>£211 is steep. The official Honda site offers a "Honda 12" service, including oil and filter change for £160 or £265 with air and pollen filters and brake fluid change

The total bill was [are you sitting down] £508.99 which included fitting two new dust covers to the front suspenders.

Tis a petrol jobbie and the only other parts they fitted were: oil filter / washer plug / and about 4 ltrs of 5w 30

The service was called a Level 1 service. I wont be going there again (Rowes of Liskeard) probably go back to my indie in Feock and have a walk around Penpol Creek while it (or I) is/am being done :)
 Second-hand bits - Mapmaker
Thread drift from scrap dealers to main dealers in one post. That's an achievement!
 Second-hand bits - martin aston
Thread drift indeed. Back on thread I remember the old days of scrap yards where you were able to rummage around the wrecks and remove bits yourself for a rough and ready price from a guy at the gate. I changed all the seats of my base Morris 1100 for those from a top spec model for a few quid.
Health and Safety and modern car complexity mean these days are long gone. A couple if years ago I bought door mirrors for a Skoda from an online breaker for much less than now and I have to admit its a lot better than scavenging for it in a pile of scrap cars.
 Second-hand bits - Zero

>> Tail light on eBay (thanks Mr not-stop-after-accident Cyclist); thick end of £100.

Tail light on Volvo*, its a long one, convoluted shape, lots of LEDS, £50 on ebay.

Thanks to mr idiot owner driver who reckoned he could get something out of the hatch beating the speed of the electric closing motor

Second-hand bits - CGNorwich
Had great success with this site in the past. Worth a try.

tinyurl.com/ybkhzuhm
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 10 Nov 17 at 17:22
 Second-hand bits - Duncan
>> Had great success with this site in the past. Worth a try.

I do like a nice long link!

154 characters! And it links to BreakerLink, why, the irony is wonderful!

tinyurl.com/ycn9ymw4
 Second-hand bits - helicopter
Well my last service on the 3 year old CR-V was carried out at 30 k miles in July by an independent well known to many of you from the HJ forum. I have used him for years for company and family car servicing

Total £174.01 of which £60 was labour and £39 was VAT.

Materials included Air ,oil and cabin filters, 5.5 litres synthetic oil and fuel system cleaner ( it's a diesel).

Dog old chap., it is not worth paying extra for a main dealer stamp. All you are paying for is the glass palace and the overheads.

I have used breakers in the past and done my share of climbing over scrap cars with tool box trying to find that elusive bit to smarten up old bangers , from a radiator for a Viva to a rear light cluster for a Cherry.

Bridgers at Pease Pottage are local to me and very helpful.
Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 10 Nov 17 at 17:13
 Second-hand bits - Dog
>>my last service on the 3 year old CR-V was carried out at 30 k miles Total £174.01 of which £60 was labour and £39 was VAT.

I phoned a Honda dealer in Truro to ask howl mucho for a Level 1 service on my CR-V = £211.

I searched 'Honda Level 1 service and came up with £135 ... in Worcester:
www.startingroup.co.uk/honda/downloads/startinservicecharter.pdf

>>it is not worth paying extra for a main dealer stamp. All you are paying for is the glass palace and the overheads.

Troo but, I buy I owner cars, with fool main dealer service history. No FDSH, no buy.
 Second-hand bits - CGNorwich
A very valid point.
 Second-hand bits - No FM2R
>> it is not worth paying extra for a main dealer stamp. All you are paying for is the glass palace and the overheads.

That's what everybody says about a car they own or are selling.

Its not what people who are buying say.
 Second-hand bits - Ted

When I worked for a motoring organization we had an appointed breakdown agent who was also a large dismantler. We controllers always got preferential or free service for used parts. We retired staff still only have to ring and the part we want will be taken off, cleaned and in the office waiting to be collected.

Last thing they did for me was a pair of door mirrors, correct colour for the Vitara and gave me a complete set of plastic door trims for the outside. £20 the lot IIRC. SWM came and we took 2 grandsons who had never been in a place like that. Very clean, all on concrete, stacked cars were on proper frames. Mostly modern accident stuff.

HK Motors of Minera, Wrexham...they have a website....had a nice pub lunch on the way back....made a day of it....isn't it ?
 Second-hand bits - Runfer D'Hills
Door mirrors, Wrexham you say?

Not too far away...

;-)
 Second-hand bits - Zero
They do alloy wheels too.
 Second-hand bits - R.P.
Still going strong. I passed their depot the when we went to collect the MX5 .
Latest Forum Posts