Motoring Discussion > Community Spirit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 20

Community Spirit - Robin O'Reliant
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/12/dont-block-drive-note-left-ambulance-paramedics-treat-critically/
 Community Spirit - zippy
I saw that this morning and was flabbergasted.

Probably the same sort of person that doesn't get out of the way for ambulances.

There are a lot of pensioners in our small close and ambulances regularly block the road. It's not their fault the road is so narrow.

No one has complained and I even saw one family setting off park up and go back in side until the ambulance left.

Years ago in London (Surrey Quays) I had moved over as far as I could on to the pavement in a very narrow street for a passing ambulance on blues. It took off my wing mirror as it went past.

In that situation, it was a case of wing mirror vs. someone's life. The wing mirror rightly lost.
 Community Spirit - CGNorwich
Having watched the series "Ambulance" I am not totally surprised.

It is amazing how abusive some member of the general public can be. The only consolation is the the vast majority of people are helpful and I guess we all have to cling on that fact when self centered idiots are encountered
 Community Spirit - R.P.
People seem to have lost the ability to respond proportionally to things.

Quotes from recent Domestic Violence cases.

from an ex-army guy to his wife.

"I've got the whole army behind me, you've got no-one" In reality the obnoxious bully is probably out on a limb on his own

"I'll get the lads down to sort you out" FFS - what kind of man says that to his cowering wife and children.

People are quite horrible at times.
 Community Spirit - Manatee
The slightest setback is a "nightmare!".

Sad to say this afflicts many of my generation. I don't think my parents and grandparents made everything such a drama, despite - or perhaps because of - comparative hardships. They just got on with it.
 Community Spirit - Zero

>> Sad to say this afflicts many of my generation. I don't think my parents and
>> grandparents made everything such a drama, despite - or perhaps because of - comparative hardships.
>> They just got on with it.

Because everything was, in effect, a Drama. Certainly my grandparents generation staggered from financial crisis to financial crisis on a weekly basis, life threatening illness was always present in one part of the family or other, it was the bombed out east end, there was rationing, there was crime, unplanned pregnancy, domestic violence and abuse.

It kind of evened out during my parents tenure, and now my son thinks its a crisis if he loses his mobile phone signal.
 Community Spirit - Old Navy
Life seems to have been dumbed down, the norm is a relatively comfortable life with stuff on a lease that would have been unaffordable in the older generations youth. The safety net of lavish benefits have not helped.
 Community Spirit - Duncan
>> The slightest setback is a "nightmare!".
>>

Hello? Is that my hobby horse? Why I think it is!

Very, very, occasionally, I can have a slightly pedantic moment.

"He had to be rushed to hospital". No, he didn't. He didn't 'have' to be taken anywhere. It was decided that it would be in his best interests for him to be taken to hospital.

Why are people always 'rushed' to hospital?

"He/she was forced to accept". No they weren't. They may have felt that their course of action was the least worst option, but they weren't "forced" to do anything at all.

Yes, you are quite right, I can be a lot of fun at a party.
>> from an ex-army guy to his wife.
>>
>> "I've got the whole army behind me, you've got no-one" In reality the obnoxious bully
>> is probably out on a limb on his own.

Ex army means nothing, he would definitely be out on a limb, just like leaving any other job it is an instant cut off and having had everything provided for them since their teenage years have great difficulty with fending for themselves. Some try to cling on to pseudo military organisations but most just get on with life. The navy comes down on bullies like a ton of bricks but what goes on in private life is a difficult one.
 Community Spirit - Ted

As Z says, it's all about drama and bigging things up Have you ever heard of a car door being opened rather than 'flung open.? And the cyclist who avoids hitting it is always ' nearly killed !
 Community Spirit - henry k
Ambulance crew confirm it is not unusual but worse.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-41961763/ambulance-parking-notes-pretty-normal
 Community Spirit - commerdriver
My favourite drama word in the press is vow.
Have you ever noticed ed how many people vow to do things
I lat vowed to do something about 36 years ago
And every aircraft with the slightest problem is full of terrified passengers.
 Community Spirit - Focal Point
A lot of this exaggerated, melodramatic language is the spin-off from tabloid papers whose aim is (a) to sensationalise and (b) to save space in headlines, so "promise" becomes "vow" and so on.

The trouble is, such distorted language has now seeped into everyday thinking and people seem to need a constant over-stimulus in the way everyday events are reported. (What are they afraid of? That their lives are drab and boring?)

By the way, to return to the OP, the patient being attended to has died. I hope the writer of the note feels full of remorse. ("Gutted", in tabloid-speak.)
 Community Spirit - R.P.
Somehow I doubt it.
 Community Spirit - BiggerBadderDave
'the patient being attended to has died'

They'd better park the hearse properly, then.
 Community Spirit - Hard Cheese
>> And every aircraft with the slightest problem is full of terrified passengers.
>>

Actually the latter part is probably true, it might be half full or full though terrified probably sums it up ...
 Community Spirit - R.P.
Or drunken passengers - which seems to be the trend.
 Community Spirit - Hard Cheese
Or a drunken pilot, also a worrying trend ...
Are you all snowflakes?
 Community Spirit - R.P.
Many snowflakes make a drift
Latest Forum Posts