Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - Service Video   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 81

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Robbie34
Yesterday I took my Honda CR-V to Southport Honda for its annual service and MOT. When I went on my computer after I arrived home there was an e.mail from Southport Honda with a short video clip of my car in the service bay. The technician who serviced my car thanked me for allowing them to service my car, and informed me that a full service had been carried and the MOT found everything to be fine. There was also a chart that showed the condition of tyres, brakes etc.

Full marks to Southport Honda for this. I have been a customer for well over a decade and have found them to be first class in sales and servicing. Customer service has always been excellent.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Bill Payer
Quite common in dealers now - had one a couple of years ago from VW, although at the last service they said the system was down.

Glad your Honda dealer is good, and has survived - so many seem to have closed. I really miss TwoMills on The Wirral - their successors, Holdcroft's Cheshire Oaks Honda, are a bunch of muppets. One of our Hondas was replaced with a VW due to them and it's very unlikely the others will be replaced with Hondas.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Falkirk Bairn
>>so many seem to have closed.

Honda seem to have a semi-death wish ! Few car models & few dealers

22 years ago I bought my first Honda & it was a relevation - no warranty claims, virtually no repairs other than brakes, disks, exhaust etc sold @ 93K in 6 years.

Today they have a limited range of Jazz, Civic, HRV. CRV, NSX - 20 years ago - multiple CIVICs (2, 3 & 5 door), MPV, Accords, sports car, - local family dealers in a town near you - reliable cars & great service on cars.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Zero
And clearly as they discovered over the years, insufficient profit.
 Honda CR-V III - Service Video - zippy
My parents were looking for a "retirement" car and were looking at Hondas.

They were cash buyers and settled on a reasonably high specification CRV and started to negotiate on pricing and being armed with a car magazines target price.

The dealer effectively told them that if they couldn't afford the sticker price they should buy a cheaper car.

Wonder why they closed the local dealership last year!?
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 16 Nov 17 at 21:24

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - PeterS
AudiCam has been around for i think, and I get a clip every time. They even did one on our 1994 Audi Cabriolet! MB had it, but were less committed in its use, and I haven’t had a BMW serviced for years so have no idea... yet. Despite being on 17,200 miles it’s still saying 4,200 until it wants a service, by which time it’ll probably be 18 months old.

The Honda dealer between Chichester and Bognor has expanded a lot in the last couple of years, and is in a shiny new site (on the location of its old one). They’ve even bought an adjacent, empty, house and knocked it down to expand their car park!!

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Bobby
I got my Honda from a small family dealer in Peebles. Were an absolute joy to deal with both on the purchase and subsequent servicing.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Hard Cheese
My BMW dealer does this.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - madf
>> I got my Honda from a small family dealer in Peebles. Were an absolute joy
>> to deal with both on the purchase and subsequent servicing.
>>

I had my Jazz serviced my Holdcroft Honda in Stoke on Trent for the paid for (by first owner) 5 years service. Very pleasant, efficient and no problems.

Honda appear a very shut in engineering company and don't appear to welcome outside ideas. See the F1 debacle.

>> I had my Jazz serviced my Holdcroft Honda in Stoke on Trent for the paid
>> for (by first owner) 5 years service. Very pleasant, efficient and no problems.
>>
Good to hear. We (wife and I) turned up with two of our cars having booked a courtesy car a month before. They couldn't make any car available and their solution was for us to take one of our cars away and come back another day. The service manager (who I've known for some years) refused to come out of his office.

>> Honda appear a very shut in engineering company and don't appear to welcome outside ideas.
>> See the F1 debacle.
>>
They do a nice range of cars in the US, but they're regarded as cheapish cars there. I've no idea what they're trying to do in the UK. Honda UK geared up to sell 100K cars a year but they've been stuck around 50K for some years. It must be a disaster being a Honda dealer.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - PeterS

>>
>> It must be a disaster being a Honda dealer.
>>

Seems to be okay in Worthing and Bognor...something to do with the demographic I think ;)

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Falkirk Bairn
>> Honda UK geared up to sell 100K cars a year but they've been stuck around 50K

Koreans have taken market share - i30 replacing many "breadvan Civics of 2001-20016"

only 4 cars that sell rather than the 12+ range of 20 years ago.

The Honda US range has too many cars/MPVs etc that have 3 litre + petrol engines - petrol engines >2.5 litres is a thin market in mid - ranking car market. Ford/Vx / Peugeot etc etc have left the 3 litre market to Audi/BMW/MB

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - nice but dim
My car went in for an airbag recall today and as part of the procedure, a full health check and wash/vac.

I received an email from Toyota dealer with a link to the video online and the person who took the car today for the procedure was still waiting to drive it home, very prompt!

Admittedly none of the work highlight to be rectified will be done at the dealer but I guess they cant send a vehicle away without letting the owner know.

I know about the low tyre tread and (past) coolant leak but I didn't know I had a corroded brake pipe.

>> Seems to be okay in Worthing and Bognor...something to do with the demographic I think
>> ;)
>>
I've read the old people don't like all the tech on the latest Jazz - the touch screen (I think does the heating on some models) is too erratic especially when they're wearing gloves! They also get annoyed as the headlamps are auto only.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - zippy
I must admit as being someone that likes gadgets, I am not keen on the trend towards a lack of buttons on a dash and I specifically rejected some cars with touch screen only for radio, navigation and phone.

The one I went for has a mix of buttons for major functions, e.g. select phone, nav., media etc., then touch screen for functions within.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - henry k
>> I've read the old people don't like all the tech on the latest Jazz -
>> the touch screen (I think does the heating on some models) is too erratic especially
>> when they're wearing gloves!
>> They also get annoyed as the headlamps are auto only.
>>
That makes perfect sense. Is the time coming for a few retro models to be produced for a growing population ( but keep the parking cameras )

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Pat
>> I've read the old people don't like all the tech <<

>> retro models to be produced for a growing population <<

What a load of rubbish.

I'm 71 and loved all the tech we had on the XC60, and love it all even more on the V90.

BUT, I make a point of at the very least, giving it a fair trial before switching it off.

Invariably, within a couple of hundred miles I wouldn't want to be without it.

Stop/start, Collision warning, EBS, Lane control, bendy headlights and even yes, parking cameras.

Bring it on, I say. I've spent a lot of years doing all these things myself and it's great to enjoy the driving and the music without having to worry about the basics.

Pat

>> That makes perfect sense. Is the time coming for a few retro models to be
>> produced for a growing population

No because the upcoming older growing population are tech savvy

You know me so well Z:)

Pat

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Runfer D'Hills
I've had auto headlights on my last three cars, auto dipping too on the the last couple. Generally speaking, both systems work very well. But there are occasions when you want to override them such as in mist or fog when the headlights don't always come on as early as I'd like, or, I don't want a full beam. Fortunately, that is easy enough to do on my car. Just a different position on the rotary light switch to make it all manual.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - R.P.
Beemer's the same. All the important stuff are proper buttons. Even the sat-nav has some. Excellently intuitive iDrive - no touch screen required. I hate screens with finger smears on them, even in the best ordered world it happens. Auto lights are great on the BM not keen on the auto dip for much the same reasons that Humph mentions. I drive a lot now on country A roads, just don't need it thinking it knows best. I love tech.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Old Navy
On the current jazz the auto lights can't be switched off the off switch is spring loaded to the auto position. They can be overridden on with normal side and head positions. I don't have a problem with auto lights what upsets some is the auto lights are linked to the wipers and come on with them in daylight.

>>auto lights are linked to the wipers and come on with them in daylight<<

So they should be.

If it's raining enough to need wipers then it's raining enough to put lights on.

It's not like you have to put a shilling in the leccy meter to use them, is it?

Spending time on a motorway in a lorry trying to look I the o/s cab mirror to see if there are any cars in the spray from the wheels without lights will soon make sure they are switched on sooner rather than later.

Pat

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Clk Sec
>> I've read the old people don't like all the tech on the latest Jazz -
>> They also get annoyed as the headlamps are auto only.

Indeed. An older friend of mine has recently taken delivery of another Jazz and does not like the increased tech, compared to his previous model.

He, too, particularly dislikes the auto only headlights.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - No FM2R
>>He, too, particularly dislikes the auto only headlights.

Here there are certain roads where one must have the lights on at all times. Even in bright sunlight.

So that's doesn't look like it will work out well.

>> He, too, particularly dislikes the auto only headlights.
>>

All he has to do is put a small bit of black sticky tape over the lights on indicator and he will never know they are on in daylight. The auto lights and auto main beam work very well and can be left to get on with their job, except in fog.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 17:55

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Duncan

>> Indeed. An older friend of mine has recently taken delivery of another Jazz and does
>> not like the increased tech, compared to his previous model.
>>
>>

Tell him not to worry about it.

That will probably help.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Clk Sec
>>
>> Tell him not to worry about it. That will probably help.

He is not the least bit worried about it, but would definitely prefer the option of having the lights on/off when he chooses - Not when technology dictates.

I am sure that I could get along just fine with auto headlights, but the stop/start function would be disabled at the beginning of each journey.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Dog
I couldn't even find the switch for the heated rear screen @ 7:30am this morning, never mind the auto lights and wipers.

First time I've had to use the heated rear screen since I bought the old crate back in January.

And another thing .. I've looked in the boot 3 times now and I STILL haven't found the blessed starting handle.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - sooty123
is too erratic especially
>> when they're wearing gloves! They also get annoyed as the headlamps are auto only.
>>

Who wears gloves whilst driving a jazz?

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - CGNorwich
Ex submariners?

String backed pigskin and a leather flying helmet with glass goggles and a white silk scarf. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 20:48

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - MD
Mutley? Gimme a medal gimme a medal.

If you are taking part in the wacky races that pass for roads these days you might as well dress for it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 21:00

>> Ex submariners?
>>

Cold under water, mind you'd think those fancy submarines would have heaters.

The Argentinians may have lost a submarine, 44 on board, the UK has offered search aircraft from the Falklands.

news.sky.com/story/argentinian-military-submarine-ara-san-juan-missing-at-sea-for-two-days-11130303
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 22:52

They said on TV here that they haven't lost it, because they haven't looked for it yet. They just don't know where it is.

Well that's certainly one way of looking at it...

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Duncan
Woman in charge.

>> Well that's certainly one way of looking at it...

or not looking at it.

Like they didn't know where the Thetis was after she was lost in Liverpool. Still ended up dead though (well most on board) a particular horrible way to die. Doesn't look good does it.

>> They said on TV here that they haven't lost it, because they haven't looked for
>> it yet. They just don't know where it is.
>>

personal insult removed

I said "May have lost". When a submarine misses a radio check report things are not good. In the trade lost means sunk. If one of our submarines missed a check report a search would be started within an hour or so.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 20:13

Expect a torpedo anytime soon. :-)

Anyone who thinks a modern ( not that that one is) submarine can get lost is talking from a position of ignorance.

Exactly, but it did have a major re-furb in 2008, including one assumes modern comms.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 09:34

There is a clear difference between lost (navigation error) and lost (hull failure, hit rocks etc).

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-42030560

Looks pretty grim.

>> Anyone who thinks a modern ( not that that one is) submarine can get lost
>> is talking from a position of ignorance.

I don't know, they do get lost, just a little bit, mostly hitting things. Even modern ones as Ex Commander Andy Coles will tell you.

>> I don't know, they do get lost, just a little bit, mostly hitting things. Even
>> modern ones as Ex Commander Andy Coles will tell you.
>>

That was a cock up, inattention, rather than getting lost, only an amateur yacht driver would get lost near the Crowland islands, it is almost landlocked. Bumps with the bottom are depth errors rather than being lost.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 12:14

>> That was a cock up, inattention, rather than getting lost, only an amateur yacht driver
>> would get lost near the Crowland islands, it is almost landlocked. Bumps with the bottom
>> are depth errors rather than being lost.
>>

EDIT- Crowlin islands, it is a long time since I was at sea in that area.

I shall have to remember that.
Are you lost?
No dear just having a spot of inattention.

>> I shall have to remember that.
>> Are you lost?
>> No dear just having a spot of inattention.
>>

They were stopped and drifted.

Perhaps the Sonar was playing up. Perhaps ON and Zero care to explain how that works?

>> Perhaps the Sonar was playing up. Perhaps ON and Zero care to explain how that
>> works?
>>

I can't and he couldn't.

>> I can't and he couldn't.

Edit -

How it works and how it is used are two very different things
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 17:32

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-42041978

Bit better news.

If it was on the surface it would have been found long ago. The movement of submarine rescue equipment into the area is not good news. If it is on the continental shelf there is a remote chance of rescue bearing in mind it could be partially flooded as it has not surfaced, if it is not on the continental shelf no chance. Satellite communications can't be used unless it is at periscope depth and it can raise an aerial or ir is on the surface.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 12:53

Missed the edit -

We don't know how old the communications were, they may have been before the scheduled check report that was missed.

There was a second re-furb in 2014 - so chances are that the comms had an upgrade.

Reuters have got some times on the failed transmissions.

www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-submarine/argentina-says-signals-detected-likely-from-missing-submarine-idUSKBN1DI0M8

Honda CR-V III - Missing submarine. - Old Navy
"The crew should have ample supplies of food and oxygen".

The biggest problem in a sunken submarine is the atmospheric pressure, oxygen can be generated but this raises the internal pressure. The exhaled C02 becomes lethal as the pressure increases. Our submarines have emergency C02 scrubbers but the internal pressure is always the biggest problem for any survivors trapped.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 14:54

Honda CR-V III - Missing submarine. - sooty123
What normally regulates the pressure on board, some sort of outward relief valve?

Honda CR-V III - Missing submarine. - Old Navy
Submarines have huge compressed air tanks, mainly used when surfacing. Normally internal pressure is regulated by running the compressors, transferring air to the storage tanks. Disabled submarines rarely have the power or access to run the compressors. The external (sea pressure) is higher than the internal pressure so a relief valve would not work. There is a barometer on board and internal pressure is normally maintained at whatever it was when the submarine shut it's hatches and dived.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 15:29

Honda CR-V III - Missing submarine. - sooty123
Right, thanks.

Honda CR-V III - Missing submarine. - R.P.
Not much changed in oceanic physics since the poor old Thetis went down. Glad the RN had something to send to help.

>> Reuters have got some times on the failed transmissions.
>>
>> www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-submarine/argentina-says-signals-detected-likely-from-missing-submarine-idUSKBN1DI0M8

MH370 gave off satellite signals too, and they got no idea at all where that is

>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-42041978
>>
>> Bit better news.

Aren't satellite phones pretty much line of sight with little penetration? So surely it would have needed at least some kind of antennae on the surface if not actually n the surface itself?

I have one, which I don't think works anymore, and it is [was] pretty close to worthless indoors.

As I said above. See my post at 12:50.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 15:52

Sorry, I missed that.

In my defense I am in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere right now with only a telephone.

So what are those signals that have been detected then? Surely if they are relevant to the submarine then it can't be on the bottom? [sorry if I've missed that comment as well]

Personally I don't think that they are relevant but the information released will be tightly managed. Don't get lost out there we don't need another search! :-)

Incidentally, I am in this forest with a pretty senior member of the Chilean Navy or two, and their (probably unsubstantiated) opinion is that it is lost.

If you need to send the Navy to search for me here, then we're all screwed.

I'm in the Valle de Casablanca, the wine region. There's no rush, I'm gonna be just fine for quite a while.

[hic]

>> Incidentally, I am in this forest with a pretty senior member of the Chilean Navy
>> or two, and their (probably unsubstantiated) opinion is that it is lost.
>>

I agree.

Certainly odd - but remember all the false "signals" that were attributed to MH370 when that was lost. Liferaft maybe ?

Do submarines have lift rafts? That seems about as likely to be useful as a life jacket on an airliner.

No, they have escape equipment and individual immersion suits with built in lifejackets. They are more a morale booster than anything else. I have used one in training to do a simulated escape from 100ft in a body temperature tank and under close monitoring. I would not fancy trying it from deeper or in cold water.

Dunno - I assume they must have some form of emergency escape equipment and once out they'd need some sort of flotation equipment.

Even if you got out sucsessfully, if you don't get picked up rapidly exposure to cold water will kill you.

I don't know what escape equipment those submarines have. The continental shelf averages 600ft deep not good for an escape without the equipment being flown in. And they have yet to find it.

Unfortunately the reality of it is tough.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 16:21

If it were on the surface it would have been found. If it lost all comms while submerged it surely would have surfaced ...

Not looking good.

As this situation may run for a while I will start a new thread over in non motoring.

Honda CR-V III - Service Video - Bromptonaut
If possible could Mods move conversation about sub to ON's new thread?

Thanks ON. I had a look at moving this across earlier. Monumental task to get it all in order. We'll close this one now and reference it in the new volume.

Latest Forum Posts