Motoring Discussion > Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 34

Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - henry k
Tax disc: Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapped

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42009111

".... potentially lost out on £107m from 755,000 unlicensed vehicles last year."
"...... meant to have saved the Treasury £10m."

Teething problems? Stupidity ?
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Old Navy
The guy who thought up that cost saving scheme will most likely get a knighthood.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Lygonos
What's car tax?

Smug git. :-)

Just wait for the big power cut.
Dinosaur juice pumps don't work without electricity either!
>> Dinosaur juice pumps don't work without electricity either!
>>

Gravity does.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Manatee
£10m would be lost in the roundings. A ridiculous prediction if it was given as net benefit.

Probably the saving on admin cost of sending discs out, and ignoring any changes in compliance.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - movilogo
Better to scrap it altogether and raise it via fuel duty.

Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - R.P.
Another Government fail in Policing. Any copper would tell you that the Mk1 eyeball could spot an expired tax disc at 100 paces. Now there are no Coppers to check non existent tax discs. Great gateway crime, if they're not taxing their cars what else are they up to ?
ANPR should pick them up.

If there are any patrol cars that is.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Zero
Clearly ANPR cameras are as switched on as speed cameras
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Bromptonaut
Locally it looks like the Council's wardens check tax/insurance when ticketing dodgy on street parking. Watched the DVLA/Police contractor lift one left in the taxi bay by the office a couple of months ago.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Falkirk Bairn
Civil Service views £30m cost of printing/posting etc etc as an amount worth saving by having no tax discs - If there are 30+ million cars that is a saving of under £1.00 per car/per year.

The bean counters fail to see that that is loose change in the mountain of cash involve in Road Tax.

Similar to VWs use of plastic water impellers rather than metal - saved pennies per unit BUT causes BIG bills for punters 4/5 years down the line..
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - zippy
>>Similar to VWs use of plastic water impellers rather than metal - saved pennies per unit
>> BUT causes BIG bills for punters 4/5 years down the line..

And their not renewing the tool for the timing chains leading to early failures!
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Boxsterboy
>> >>Similar to VWs use of plastic water impellers rather than metal - saved pennies per
>> unit
>> >> BUT causes BIG bills for punters 4/5 years down the line..
>>
>> And their not renewing the tool for the timing chains leading to early failures!
>>

And their failure to coat aluminium EGR coolers to stop them corroding and wrecking Transporter engines. Aaahh - good old German quality engineering, eh?
>> Better to scrap it altogether and raise it via fuel duty.
>>
>>

It will be interesting to see how electricity used as road fuel is going to be taxed. Dye it green?
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Robin O'Reliant
>> Better to scrap it altogether and raise it via fuel duty.
>>
>>
>>
Which penalises those of us who need the car to do our jobs and thus contribute to the economy. If any drivers need to pay more for car use it is the 3,000 miles per year brigade who clog up the roads and parking spaces to the inconvenience of essential users. It would be cheaper for them and better for everyone else if they binned the car and used taxis.
>> the 3,000 miles a year brigade......

You will be one one day. If you are allowed private vehicles by then! I still manage 12,000 ish a year and have never been accused of holding up the traffic!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 16:35
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Duncan
>> I still manage 12,000 ish a year and have never been accused of holding up the traffic!

How do you know what the people behind say about you?
>> How do you know what the people behind say about you?
>>

Do you think I care?

I find it surprising how slowly many drivers accelerate, many drivers seem to be terrified of using their cars abilities and red lining the engine when necessary. The rev limiter on my engine must be set above the 6,500 rpm red line as I have not hit it yet. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 18:48
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Boxsterboy
>> Which penalises those of us who need the car to do our jobs and thus
>> contribute to the economy. If any drivers need to pay more for car use it
>> is the 3,000 miles per year brigade who clog up the roads and parking spaces
>> to the inconvenience of essential users. It would be cheaper for them and better for
>> everyone else if they binned the car and used taxis.
>>

No, it only penalises those who who choose to live in an area of poor alternative modes of transport. Otherwise it is far fairer - the more you drive the more tax you pay.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - CGNorwich
If you only drive 3000 miles a year you ar using a tenth of the road space of someone driving 30,000 miles a year. The chances are also that the car is garaged or on the drive for most of its life so that argument simply does not hold water.

Anyone who is retired knows that most congestion is caused by commuter traffic, Most older people who can avoid the rush hours do so. And what is an "essential user". Someone who chooses to live 30 miles from his place of work, refuses to use public transport and won't car share? Is that more essential than the seventy five year old drives 50 miles a week who to see his family, get his shopping etc.
>> Anyone who is retired knows that most congestion is caused by commuter traffic, Most older
>> people who can avoid the rush hours do so. And what is an "essential user".
>> Someone who chooses to live 30 miles from his place of work, refuses to use
>> public transport and won't car share? Is that more essential than the seventy five year
>> old drives 50 miles a week who to see his family, get his shopping etc.

An essential user is not a commuter but someone who needs a car to do their job. There are many of us. And Pat's point about claiming the tax back gives the impression that she thinks HMRC refunds your fuel money, which it does not. The money you spend on business usage is not liable for tax but it still comes out of your own pocket and you never see it again.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 17:29
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Pat
>>gives the impression that she thinks HMRC refunds your fuel money, which it does not.<<

Being self employed and using my car for work I'm well aware of that....tut.

What I actually said was ''It could be worked''

Pat
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - No FM2R
>>The money you spend on business usage is not liable for tax but it still comes out of your own pocket and you never see it again

Really, don't you claim it back from your employer?

Bearing in mind that commuting is *not* business use.
>> Really, don't you claim it back from your employer?

What employer? I haven't had one of those for over thirty years.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 17:30
>>What employer? I haven't had one of those for over thirty years.

Its kind of difficult to avoid getting it back. How are you failing to?
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - CGNorwich
So why are you taking a pop at low mileage users rather than all those high mileage commuters and others driving on business who get in your way?

Presumably the cost of your petrol for business mileage is met by your employer or your business, if self employed or am I missing something?
>> Presumably the cost of your petrol for business mileage is met by your employer or
>> your business, if self employed or am I missing something?

You're missing the point that all extra costs on businesses come off the bottom line, whether that be reduced profits for companies or less income for those who are self employed. This country is festooned with CCTV cameras, if one in every so many was fitted with ANPR you would soon identify VED dodgers, along with those who don't bother to insure or MoT their vehicles too. And if evasion meant automatic and permanent confiscation of the vehicle that would sharpen a few minds too.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - henry k
>>An essential user is not a commuter but someone who needs a car to do their job.
>>
What about shift workers ?
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Cliff Pope
>> An essential user is not a commuter but someone who needs a car to do
>> their job.

The concept of an "essential" user of anything is a bogus one. Anything can be argued as essential, it just depends whether you are one of the people using it or not.

And even if something is "essential", why is that an argument for not charging the full proportion of the costs incurred? Essential people are still expected to pay full price for food, housing etc, and don't get tax relief just for being essential. If roads need to be paid for, why is proportionate use not a fair basis for apportioning that cost?
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - Pat
>>Which penalises those of us who need the car to do our jobs and thus contribute to the economy<<

Rubbish, I'm sure it could be worked so that you claimed the tax back on business miles only.

Pat
>>Teething problems? Stupidity ?

No, Its called targetting a group on what it spends rather than how effective or profitable it is.
 Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapd - madf
It's like banning use of mobile phones when driving. Unenforceable due to lack or traffic police..
As I think Zero said a week or two back, the answer is going to be road pricing.

It's also the only real way to tax EV drivers.
Latest Forum Posts