Sub 9sec 1/4 mile.

oooofffttt.
 Tesla - New Roadster - Old Navy
You forgot the price. :-)
 Tesla - New Roadster - Lygonos
So did Musk....

For Pat:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvGSkTYJSE

The Truck does 0-60 in 5 secs with an empty trailer and 20 seconds pulling 40 tonnes with 500 miles range at motorway speeds.

And planning 'Megachargers' which can recharge 400miles of range in 30 mins.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 21:59
 Tesla - New Roadster - Hard Cheese
They are both more like it, great performance with decent range.

The roadster will sell in limited numbers to those to whom price doesn't matter.

Though if the truck's batteries are twice the price of a diesel truck how can it be commercially viable?
 Tesla - New Roadster - rtj70
>> The roadster will sell in limited numbers to those to whom price doesn't matter.

Sounds like it's an electric Lotus Elise again doesn't it.

>> Though if the truck's batteries are twice the price of a diesel truck how can it be commercially viable?

Presumably because they think the cost of running on electric will save money over a million miles. Not sure myself if the business case holds. And those mega charging points will be in limited locations....

Even for the new Roadster, how long will that take to charge from a 13amp socket? :-)
 Tesla - New Roadster - rtj70
>> Sounds like it's an electric Lotus Elise again doesn't it.

And to backup that... because it could be a new car/chassis, news sites say a new version of the Roadster. Not a new Roadster. A new VW Golf or MB S-Class is not referred to as a new version.

To do 250mph, so many other cars have some serious diffusers, wings and underbody trays to create downforce.... That Roadster looks like it has none of those.
 Tesla - New Roadster - Auntie Lockbrakes
It's all just a well-timed PR smokescreen, devised to divert attention from the fact that they are yet to build any serious volume of cars. Gotta keep the ponzi scheme going...
 Tesla - New Roadster - Pat
Thanks for that Lygonos.

I heard something about this yesterday afternoon but didn't have time to go and look for it.

It's far better than I expected and will certainly be the starting point for commercial EV's.

The range is sufficient to make it a very viable proposition for many own account hauliers who only deliver their own goods and make a profit from those goods. The haulage side of that type of business doesn't make a profit.

A lot of firms already base a lot of their reputation for sales and market share on their carbon footprint and more to the point, food miles.

Take Asda and Sainsbury as examples. Both of these have regional distribution centres around the country starting with Grangemouth in Scotland and down to Kent and somerset in the south so that range would be ample for RDC to shop store deliveries and make for excellent PR into the bargain.

The charging points would be done back at the RDC's.

Excellent performance on hills and would open the door to increasing the maximum weight of the load carried which in turn would reduce the amount of vehicles used and decrease running costs overall.

I'm impressed with everything so far apart from the looks of it....it's ugly!

Pat
 Tesla - New Roadster - Rudedog
The fast Teslas seem to have a problem going fast for a sustained period of time, from what I've read they aren't that reliable on the test track/race circuit, they have had issues on the Nurburging going into limp mode and joining the Bongard club.
 Tesla - New Roadster - Zero
Lets be honest, Tesla is as much about fantasy as it is fact. There is no special magic technology about a Tesla, its all commonly known battery and motor technology, this time with a shed load of design and marketing thrown at it. What we do have have is a technology company trying to get in to large scale motor manufacturing, and realising that is a whole new ball game thats been developed over a century by the big guns. Specially doing it economically.

The hype is faster than the car.
 Tesla - New Roadster - Manatee
I'm sure that's all fair comment Z, but at the same time the motor industry is ripe for disruption. And if the market does go where Elon Musk wants it to, the big guns with their massive investments in the status quo will be seriously wrong footed, again.

Did he make his own name up?
I've got a lot of respect for Elon Musk though I broadly agree with Z.

The idea of being able to carry 500 miles of fast, fun, air-conditioned, heated range around with you along with a wife and three kids and a dog etc, and recharge for pence in minutes is a wonderful prospect, though the tech to do it has not been invented yet.

And with regards to the truck, if it powerful enough to carry 40 tonnes over 500 miles at up to 60 mph and cope with 1in8 gradients etc - then how much of the 40 tonnes is its batteries and how much is freight capacity?

I might try and do the maths ...
Back of fag packet calc.

2000kwh required, based on Model S 85kwh @ 540kg would mean 12.7 tonnes of battery ...

Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 13:02
 Tesla - New Roadster - Lygonos
500 miles @ equivalent of 4mpg (is that realistic for a laden HGV?) = 125 gallons of diesel.

100kWh of batteries takes a Model S ~280miles (probably a tad more) which roughly equates to about 7 gallons of diesel (@40mpg for a 5-7 series Beemer size car), so that 125 gallons of diesel equivalent will be around 1800kWh (similar to HC's calc) - no idea if car:lorry equivalence is realistic but it's best I can come up with.

Tesla cells currently hold ~270Wh/kg for the 18650 type, and around 330Wh/kg for the 2170 (which are apparently cheaper to make).

Raw weight of 1800kWh of the 2170s is 5.4 tonnes - add another say 33% for packaging and it comes out at 7.2tonnes (assuming significant economy of scale over a 100kWh pack)

Again, not miles away from HC's calc.

Diesel tractor units currently weight 6-10 tonnes I think so likely to be quite a bit heavier for a 500 miles EV unit.

Of course not everyone would want or need a 500 mile range.

As for savings - 60,000 miles/yr for a long distance set-up will cost £80,000 in diesel - the same using electricity from a mains supply is about £60,000 cheaper. Every year.

Cummins and Daimler are seriously developing EV trucks I believe.

I agree with Pat - it's no looker!

Tesla - New Roadster - CGNorwich
Tesla will go bankrupt within two years
 Tesla - New Roadster - Rudedog
Wasn't there another car company based somewhere in Nevada that was trying to be a rival to Tesla but their factory is still just a baron patch of land even though they had showcased a reproduction car.

Tesla - New Roadster - Crankcase
I see in the paper this morning that Walmart have ordered 15 of the trucks. Sounds like no more than a toe in the water, but it's a start I guess.

Tesla - New Roadster - Pat
I'm not surprised.

Walmart = Asda

Pat
Latest Forum Posts