Motoring Discussion > skoda's don't die! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 26

skoda's don't die! - devonite
Done some work in just 2 years!

www.aol.co.uk/cars/2017/11/20/a-2015-skoda-rapid-with-more-than-409-000-miles-on-the-clock-is/

skoda's don't die! - Bromptonaut
Happy with cars we've got ATM I'd take a punt on that if the price was right.
 skoda's don't die! - Hard Cheese
Even if it's Jan 2015 then that's an average of around 400 miles a day 24/7/365, difficult to see how than can be achieved other than by multi driver, multi shift cabbing.

skoda's don't die! - sooty123
Obviously used as a pool car, must have been serviced on a monthly basis? Price is a bit high though.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 21 Nov 17 at 12:39
 skoda's don't die! - Duncan
>> Even if it's Jan 2015 then that's an average of around 400 miles a day
>> 24/7/365,

Hello, pedant here.

If you want to do the 24/7 thing, then it should be 24/7/52.

Happy to help.
>> If you want to do the 24/7 thing, then it should be 24/7/52.

24/7/365 seems perfectly fine to me. No need for weeks to intervene.

As to the car I see Parks of Hamilton coaches down here in Central England on a regular basis. Pretty sure I've seen them on rail replacement duty when there's engineering work on the Northampton loop so they've probably got a regular contract for thatwork.

Glasgow to here and beyond as a regular round trip every couple of days ferrying outstationed drivers from home to digs and back pretty much tallies with 400 miles a day. But if it's nearly all motorway then very different wear pattern to mini-cabbing.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 21 Nov 17 at 13:13
 skoda's don't die! - Roger.
At nearly five grand, it's waaaaaaaaay overpriced.

skoda's don't die! - Falkirk Bairn
High value, small bulk deliveries? M74/M6 daily?
 skoda's don't die! - DP
Who sells a car with 409,000 miles on the clock if it's any good?

I'd want to know why they got rid. The cynic in me says it's either a tired old dog that nobody wanted to drive any more, it was becoming unacceptably unreliable, or that some eye watering bill is looming on the horizon that they wanted to avoid. For what it's worth (about half what's being asked for it, by the way), it's better to keep it and run it into the ground. Which is exactly what they've done, I suspect.
 skoda's don't die! - Cliff Pope
>> >> If you want to do the 24/7 thing, then it should be 24/7/52.
>>
>> 24/7/365 seems perfectly fine to me. No need for weeks to intervene.
>>

24 hours in a day
7 days in a week
52 weeks in a year

If you don't want the weeks, then all you'd need is 24/365.

skoda's don't die! - nice but dim
What's betting that doesn't end up on a forecourt with 50k showing for £7k.... and why isn't it showing a plate. The seller is a hire company based in Glasgow.
 skoda's don't die! - The Melting Snowman
£995 max. It's not even a desirable model, with cloth seats and plastic wheel-trims. Presumably a bog standard get-out-and-push engine to boot.

I agree with the comment about it appearing at some future stage with a haircut.
 skoda's don't die! - Bobby
Dealer is near me if anyone wants me to check it out ..... :)

On a slight thread drift, on my periodic auto trader browse, I see that more and more engines resemble the one in this Ebay listing in that there is no engine cover of any sort on it.
Is this a new trend for weight saving?
 skoda's don't die! - Old Navy
Diesels need the cover for sound deadening, petrol engines don't.
This ones a diesel as are the other cars I have saw.
Here’s the EBay listing

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282717805444
 skoda's don't die! - rtj70
My guess is the car was used for a contract to deliver items on a regular basis. Either daily say 950 mile round trip or some much further. There is no way would I want to be doing those miles in any car let alone that. Well maybe the Audi A8 when they bring out the level 5 autonomous driving :-)

Let's say the car did those miles in 20 months.... that's over 20k miles a month! I don't have to do that in a year. Assume the average mph was 50 (could easily be a lot less) then that's about 340 days of driving none stop.
>> My guess is the car was used for a contract to deliver items on a
>> regular basis.

I think it's clear from narrative that it was used to deliver people (coach drivers and or service folks) from their base in Scotland's Central Belt to wherever coaches were contracted to operate.
 skoda's don't die! - rtj70
I'd want transporting in a more comfortable car - i.e. more space for passengers.

I didn't look at Bobby's eBay listing link :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 21 Nov 17 at 23:29
I remember back in the mid 90s I had a mate who did the long haul European coach tours. Primarily it was from Scotland to anywhere in Europe.

For cost purposes the journeys were planned so that once over the water, the journeys could be made with one driver for cost saving.

However, in most cases this meant that they needed a driver to do the first leg from here down to Dover and then my mate would takeover to put on Ferry and the first driver then would get an allowance to travel home but realistically many would thumb a lift back.

With this car I guess Parks have a load of casual drivers who would be used for chauffeuring. Or maybe coach driver drives down and stays overnight and then takes a coach abroad. Meanwhile another driver does the opposite and drives the car back to Hamilton.

Repeat every day!
 skoda's don't die! - Old Navy
I read about a Ford Cortina with similar mileage, it was owned by a printing or publishing company and did an overnight return run from London to Plymouth daily. With little overnight traffic in those days the point of the story was it was still on its original clutch and brake pads. Parks shifting drivers about is plausible.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 22 Nov 17 at 07:43
Am I dreaming or in the past, was there someone on here or the other place, that was looking very closely at the viability of doing something like this is a business - something that was going to involve hundreds of miles every day?
Don't think it was courier work as such but something along those lines? Seem to remember suggestions of the most economical diesel to do it in whilst having some comfort?
 skoda's don't die! - Duncan
>> Am I dreaming or in the past, was there someone on here or the other
>> place, that was looking very closely at the viability of doing something like this is
>> a business - something that was going to involve hundreds of miles every day?
>> Don't think it was courier work as such but something along those lines? Seem to
>> remember suggestions of the most economical diesel to do it in whilst having some comfort?
>>

Didn't the proposition and the individual circumstances get quite involved?
>>Didn't the proposition and the individual circumstances get quite involved?
yeah I think so - is it ringing vague bells with you as well?
 skoda's don't die! - smokie
>> the other place, that was looking very closely at the viability of doing something like this is
>> a business

Yeah I recall that too, maybe Dave TDCI or somesuch
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 22 Nov 17 at 08:52
 skoda's don't die! - commerdriver
I am sure I remember coach drivers on a couple of foreign coach tours we did simply swapping with a relief driver in the south of England (Thurrock services I think) and then taking the car and driving back to base.
Don't know what the hours involved were but I got the impression that the Coach hours were own the nacho, the car hours were not, still seemed a potential risk of tired drivers to me.
 skoda's don't die! - tyrednemotional
>> I'd want transporting in a more comfortable car - i.e. more space for passengers.
>>

...or a coach.........?
Latest Forum Posts