Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 44

Bentley driver attacked - Bobby
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5104235/Axe-wielding-thugs-pounce-Bentley.htm

Scary situation!

What would you do if:
You were the driver
You were the driver of the car with the dashcam?l
 Bentley driver attacked - No FM2R
If I were the driver, try to run them down.
If I were the car with the dashcam, definitely run them down.

If I were in any of the other cars watching, try to forgive myself.
 Bentley driver attacked - legacylad
Why on earth didn’t the driver with the dash cam accelerate as fast as possible into them?
Then reverse over them to incapacatitate as much as possible
The repercussions of such an action would be the last thing on my mind in that instant
 Bentley driver attacked - Cliff Pope
It's always assumed in crime dramas that it's very easy to run over people, then reverse and run over them again. Whenever I've run over anything remotely resembling the bulk of a human being it's got stuck underneath and I've had to jack the car up and spend ages unwedging it and cutting it free.

When my wife drove over a straw bale that had fallen off a farm trailer it took me hours. It was wound round the propshaft, had mangled the exhaust pipe, and needed an angle grinder to cut the pipe free.
I never run over people now.
 Bentley driver attacked - sooty123
I think a lot of people do freeze in such situations, actually running someone over is probably an un natural act. A fear or flight dilemma.
 Bentley driver attacked - CGNorwich
I agree. People often make similar statements as to what they would have done but in practice the initial reaction is of disbelief that such a thing is happening, followed by stunned shock and then panic. It's just literally human nature.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 09:01
 Bentley driver attacked - Zero

>> If I were the car with the dashcam, definitely run them down.

I would have done that, they would have been smeared down the side of that Bently in a heartbeat.
 Bentley driver attacked - Old Navy
>> I would have done that, they would have been smeared down the side of that
>> Bently in a heartbeat.
>>

Have you got the first dent in it yet? My London resident B in L runs an old E class estate, although able to, none would run a new car in London or any big city.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 09:13

>> Have you got the first dent in it yet? My London resident B in L
>> runs an old E class estate, although able to, none would run a new car
>> in London or any big city.

No I haven't, and its true I never see a new car in London. Oh wait a minute, thats a lie.
>> No I haven't, and its true I never see a new car in London. Oh
>> wait a minute, thats a lie.
>>

Are they owned or leased? Daily drivers don't stay dent free for long, driveway ornaments may last a little longer.
 Bentley driver attacked - Hard Cheese
Are they owned or leased? Daily drivers don't stay dent free for long, driveway ornaments
>> may last a little longer.

I think Z may have meant that he has driven in London looking down the bonnet of a new car ...
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 16:36

>> I think Z may have meant that he has driven in London looking down the
>> bonnet of a new car ...

With a new car in front of me, and a new car behind me, both more expensive than mine.
 Bentley driver attacked - Dog
>>What would you do if: You were the driver

I'm with the Chilean
The auto door locks worked! :-)
The instinct to knock them down would probably be strong but wonder what the repercussions for you would be if you only stun them, they run away, and you have rammed the side of a 100k Bentley?

Doubt the ins co would be sympathetic!
And if you did get them and severely injure them could it be treated as self defence if you weren’t actually under attack yourself??

Nothing in this country would surprise me when it comes to the prosecution service!
 Bentley driver attacked - Boxsterboy
If I was her I would have driven off, making sure I took out at least one of the moped-riding accomplices.

The thugs should have attacked the bodywork - it might have improved the lines of the 'car' - hideous things those Bentaygas...

But if you are going to flaunt your wealth so ostentatiously, you shouldn't really be surprised to be targeted this way.
 Bentley driver attacked - commerdriver
>> But if you are going to flaunt your wealth so ostentatiously, you shouldn't really be
>> surprised to be targeted this way.
>>
Maybe not, but it still shouldn't happen.
 Bentley driver attacked - Manatee
>> But if you are going to flaunt your wealth so ostentatiously, you shouldn't really be

I know you don't mean to excuse the scum, but that sort of comment does provide them with a kind of excuse.

It's a consideration though, and one I would be aware of - I'd much rather be under the radar.

So every home over what value is flaunting your wealth?

Seriously? If you drive a Bentley you should expect to be attacked at traffic lights by scum with axes?
The UK police are a bit thin on the ground, the low life are well aware of this. Even if they were arrested the chances are they would only get a slap on the wrist level penalty which they would laugh off. Try and defend yourself and you get charged as the low life scream assault. The PC do gooders have ruined this country.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 17:28
 Bentley driver attacked - Hard Cheese
>> The UK police are a bit thin on the ground, the low life are well
>> aware of this. Even if they were arrested the chances are they would only get
>> a slap on the wrist level penalty which they would laugh off. Try and defend
>> yourself and you get charged as the low life scream assault. The PC do gooders
>> have ruined this country.
>>

I have some sympathy with that.

Though I don't think many would find it easy to drive into these guys whatever type of lowlife they may be ...
>>Though I don't think many would find it easy to drive into these guys

I do not know about "many", but I can assure you that it would cause me no hesitation.
>> I do not know about "many", but I can assure you that it would cause
>> me no hesitation.
>>

In that case I hope you have a good lawyer.
As it happens, several. However I doubt I'd need them. In any case, with someone in real danger and her car being attacked by axes, I'd do it anyway and deal with whatever consequences afterwards.

As I hope someone else would do should it happen to my Mother, Sister, Daughter..

"I didn't try to save her because I was scared of getting into trouble" - doesn't sound like a good reason, does it? Well, not to me anyway.
You don't seem to be aware that the legal pendulum has swung in favour of the low life in the UK.
Well, you walk your path and I'll walk mine.
Maybe you can afford to part with what would be a fortune in damages to me, I don't think my public liability insurance would cover it. Having a word with someone in the dark with a big stick is different to publicly running over someone. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 19:35
Well, lets do this, I'll run them down, you bash them down dark alleys. We'll get them all in the end.
 Bentley driver attacked - legacylad
Hate to interject, but if that scenario were happening in front of me then future liabilities would not be on my radar.
It might well be that the person being attacked was some equal low life... drug dealer, pimp, people trafficker, and they deserved all they got. But you wouldn’t know that.
I’m an impulsive person, in all manner of things, and I would do the cowardly thing and use my vehicle as a lethal weapon.
Never done it before. Hope I never have to. But sadly, in my nature, I’m a nasty vindictive SOAB with people who harm me and mine. Trust me.
Me and mine is a whole different ball game.
 Bentley driver attacked - Robin O'Reliant
>> You don't seem to be aware that the legal pendulum has swung in favour of
>> the low life in the UK.
>>
Not to that extent. If someone is attacking you with a deadly weapon you are entitled to use reasonable force to escape, and if your only option is to barge them out of your way with your car I can't see how that would be classed as anything other than the afore mentioned reasonable force. The one thing you are under no obligation to do is to stand still and take a beating from an unprovoked assault.

In any case, a driver in such a situation could reasonably claim that he panicked and hit the gas in terror.
>> As it happens, several. However I doubt I'd need them. In any case, with someone
>> in real danger and her car being attacked by axes, I'd do it anyway and
>> deal with whatever consequences afterwards.

I think you might well need them, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I don't think that the police here would just chin it off with a 'cheers for that mate, no dramas' and that'd be the end of it.
 Bentley driver attacked - sherlock47
>> >>Though I don't think many would find it easy to drive into these guys
>>
>> I do not know about "many", but I can assure you that it would cause
>> me no hesitation.
>>

and just hope that it was not a 'stunt' or a film making activity :)
>>and just hope that it was not a 'stunt' or a film making activity :)

Many years ago, but I think I'm remembering it correctly, some American tourist had her bag snatched, I think in Reading, and purportedly many people stood by and watched.

So a film crew, also from the US I think, tried to replicate the event to see if people in Reading paid attention or really would ignore a crime. As I recall the pretend thief was quite badly beaten before the pretend victim and the cameraman managed to stop it all.
 Bentley driver attacked - Bromptonaut
It the driver of the car being attacked had accelerated away and 'inadvertently' run over one of the perps then he'd have a reasonable defence.

An observer using his car as a weapon to (a) knock down and (b) reverse over the perps would put himself at serious risk of prosecution for offence up to and including murder; disproportionate response.

>> An observer using his car as a weapon to (a) knock down and (b) reverse
>> over the perps would put himself at serious risk of prosecution for offence up to
>> and including murder; disproportionate response.

I'd just get that video shown in court in my defence. Not a jury in the world would convict based on that.
>> I'd just get that video shown in court in my defence. Not a jury in
>> the world would convict based on that.

I lack your confidence that a properly directed jury would not convict.
If the jury had people like me on it they wouldnt. Directed or otherwise.
> I lack your confidence that a properly directed jury would not convict.
>>

What if anything, happens if a jury did completely ignore the judge?
>> What if anything, happens if a jury did completely ignore the judge?

Their verdict prevails. The famous case involved civil servant Clive Ponting who leaked information on the sinking of the Belgrano. Although it seemed a clear cut breach of the Official Secrets Act and Judge pretty well said as much in summing up the jury's verdict was not guilty.
>> I'd just get that video shown in court in my defence. Not a jury in
>> the world would convict based on that.
>>

I wonder if such a case has ever gone to court in the UK?
 Bentley driver attacked - Boxsterboy
>> Seriously? If you drive a Bentley you should expect to be attacked at traffic lights
>> by scum with axes?
>>

That's not what I said. I said you shouldn't be surprised to be targeted when driving an overtly expensive car. Especially somewhere like Manchester. Mayfair - fine. But not Manchester.

Of course I'm not condoning it, and I would drive over them to get out of the situation, but I wouldn't have got myself in the situation in the first place.
>> Seriously? If you drive a Bentley you should expect to be attacked at traffic lights
>> by scum with axes?

No, but like riding a bike in London (with or without a helmet) it's a risk you choose to take. :-P
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 21:01
All a question of your personal priorities I guess. I'd have used any weapon to my hands to protect that lady, including my car.
Latest Forum Posts