Motoring Discussion > Elite overtaking skills Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 13

Elite overtaking skills - Lygonos

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gKF2AUpjw

Presumably all these chaps also voted for Brexit....

/stir
 Elite overtaking skills - Bobby
I hate you!
Every time I watch one of these I then need to watch the next, and the next....and then an hour has passed!
They are all hideous pieces of driving but I expect Pat will find 0:30 particularly galling.
 Elite overtaking skills - rtj70
I am really surprised at the risks taken in some of those manoeuvres. Lucky people were not killed.
 Elite overtaking skills - Old Navy
I often wonder what these people do with the couple of seconds they have risked their lives for. It must be something very important.
 Elite overtaking skills - Pat
I certainly did, but just for future reference....that is a jacknife.

In the media they call every lorry accident a jacknife when it's nothing like that.

Pat
Check out 6:37 Pat - that's an "Incoming Wall of Death"
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 16:40
 Elite overtaking skills - Ted

Check out the Stagecoach ? single decker at 7.31. Crossing a double wite line on a blind, uphill right hander to pass a large box van.

That one should have passed to his management !
 Elite overtaking skills - rtj70
I did see that and think he's in trouble.
 Elite overtaking skills - Cliff Pope
I think all these appalling clips illustrate in an extreme form an inate feature of human nature.

There are two stages to this:
a) the instinct to carry on with an action once started, rather than pull back
b) an increasing feeling of invincibility as the excitement mounts with the apparent success of the operation so far.

Cars are quiet, powerful, isolated from the world outside, provided with comforts and distractions, so are almost ideally designed to bring out the worst in people. So it's not the thought of saving two seconds that motivates people, it's the game itself. And once you've carved round one car the urge to keep your foot down and swerve round the next becomes irrisistable to many.

I think it's a special example of power tending to corrupt. It's why dictators tend to get more and more extreme in their behaviour, and beyond a certain point become literally out of their minds and in a world where they are the law and the morality.

Instead of wasting money applying MOTs to cars, they should devote thought to psychological tests on would-be drivers and investigate what triggers this power/rage thing in some drivers, and stop them ever getting a licence.
 Elite overtaking skills - Manatee
Notwithstanding all that Cliff says, which I agree with, there are at least a couple there that flow from people following the car in front as if it guarantees a clear passage when the driver cannot possibly see that that is the case. Truly moronic behaviour, especially when the car in front is running a red light.

This happens so often that I now assume there is another one behind the oncoming car I can see. Usually they are overtaking parked vehicles, but not always.

I know it always feels that way to us old 'uns, but I think there might be a real decline in driving standards going on and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the statistics soon.

Having said all that, most of those seem to be from countries where they drive on the wrong side. It's a truism that drivers almost everywhere are worse than they are here. Driving in Italy is scary enough, never mind the real third world places and Russia where they must all be pickled in vodka.
 Elite overtaking skills - Ambo
Unbelievable. I don't think I want to drive any more.
 Elite overtaking skills - Zero
I stopped watching dash cam vids on Youtube, its not good for your driving health.
 Elite overtaking skills - Ted

I don't watch a lot now but I've thought for some time that it may be useful to include an hours viewing on driver training courses. Especially kids going for their first time behind the wheel or handlebars.
Latest Forum Posts