Motoring Discussion > EV charger problem in London. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 33

EV charger problem in London. - Old Navy
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5124579/Sadiq-Khan-targets-parking-spaces-outside-homes-offices-tackle-congestion.html
 EV charger problem in London. - Bromptonaut
Not clear where link to EV charging is, the Mail article is about the Mayor's plan to eliminate parking spaces.
 EV charger problem in London. - Boxsterboy
Car-free developments are nothing new in London. But when we are all driving electric cars powered by renewal energy, they will seem a bit odd.
 EV charger problem in London. - Old Navy
>> Not clear where link to EV charging is, the Mail article is about the Mayor's
>> plan to eliminate parking spaces.
>>

If you can't park your car at home or work where do you charge it?
 EV charger problem in London. - Pat
What is the point of giving a discount on the C Charge and T Charge for EV's if you can't go to work in it and park it?

I've suspected Mt Khan has lost his marbles for some time and this seems to confirm it.

I do wonder how he travels to work?

Pat

>> What is the point of giving a discount on the C Charge and T Charge
>> for EV's if you can't go to work in it and park it?

It's not a blanket ban in the whole GLA area but rather limited to developments in placeswith top class public transport links. There's quite a move towards offices being converted to residential. It is a noticeable trend around my career long stomping ground of 'Legal London'. I also worked for a few weeks at Archway Tower, now known as Vantage Point:

www.essentialliving.co.uk/development/vantage-point/

It's on multiple bus routes and has a tube station underneath.

>> I do wonder how he travels to work?

On the tube?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 16:20
 EV charger problem in London. - Zero
My BiL &SiL live in London. Dont have a car, nowhere to park it and public transport is easy.

If they need to go out of town they pick up a street car spot hire for the day. Cheaper than owning
 EV charger problem in London. - smokie
Many Londoners (in flats etc) can't charge EVs already.

Many who live right inside London don't own their own vehicles. There is a reliable public transport system, and that's how people go to work, including tinyurl.com/ycg7tbuu .

I'm about 90 minutes from the City by train and I know people who commute that by train every day. Most people wouldn't want to pay parking costs in London anyway, not every day, and from this far out the journey by car, albeit straight up the M4, would be a mare.

So maybe the relief on CC etc is aimed at the more casual visitor from afar, and to reinforce discouragement of vehicle owning.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 29 Nov 17 at 02:03
 EV charger problem in London. - Runfer D'Hills
I had a meeting in the City of London one day last week. I live more than 160 miles away. Caught a train just before 6.00 am from a local station, changed onto the underground and was in my meeting by 08.15. Finished at 11.00 and was home again in time for lunch. Absolutely painless. ( apart from the £159 it cost to do it ) If rail fares were a bit more sensible I'd use the train a lot more on "travelling light" days.

>> and was home again in time for lunch. Absolutely painless.

Ace you can hand that really expensive company car back and save all that BiK now.

They might charge you for that wheel tho
The tiny mark on that wheel is more or less invisible to the naked eye. I know it's there of course, and it is most humbling.

Actually, I don't want to talk about it anymore, if that's all the same, thanks...

;-)
>> The tiny mark on that wheel is more or less invisible to the naked eye.
>> I know it's there of course, and it is most humbling.
>>
>> Actually, I don't want to talk about it anymore, if that's all the same, thanks...

I can understand that, I think we have been altogether rather too harsh on you. I mean it could happen to anyone, new car, much longer, tighter lock, all to easy to cut a corner and take a tiny chip out of an alloy.

Not that I would or have you understand. Just saying its possible
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 17:06
Well, have you or haven't you? You'll feel better if you get it off your chest, no one will judge you...
 EV charger problem in London. - Pat
My advice would be to watch the back door when parking close to a post.....not that I would know, of course.

Pat
>> Well, have you or haven't you? You'll feel better if you get it off your
>> chest, no one will judge you...

Have I what?
Oh come now, it's not like you've hit a bus is it? Have you dinged an alloy? Nothing to be too upset about, happens to the best you know.
>> Oh come now, it's not like you've hit a bus is it? Have you dinged
>> an alloy? Nothing to be too upset about, happens to the best you know.

Just saying its possible. It happens to driving gods you know. Kind of thing that can happen on, say, the second day of ownership, when its proportions and turning circle are all new. Mereley musing about it
 EV charger problem in London. - rtj70
Some one scratched the top of the rear bumper on my car on day 2 .... not me but probably someone reversing at the gym. Only slight but still annoying.

It's right in the middle too.. so hard to just scratch that bit when reversing. Particularly with reversing sensors, camera, RADAR in the rear bumper, etc.
 EV charger problem in London. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Not that I would or have you understand. Just saying its possible
>>
Back in the day I picked up a brand new Mk2 Fiesta. Steel wheels as alloys were for posher motors back then, but it came with some rather tasty looking plastic wheel trims (Such things were important then). Pulled onto my driveway after the three mile journey home and ran the nearside front along the edge of the kerb beside the stupid flower garden that bordered the drive and that Mrs O'Reliant Mk1 wouldn't hear of removing.

So I end up with a brand new car that looked like a banger racer when viewed from the pavement. At least it was a cheapish fix, but even so...
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 17:49
 EV charger problem in London. - No FM2R
>> I'd use the train a lot more on "travelling light" days.

How often do you have a "travelling light" day?
Once or twice a week maybe, but then sometimes it can be several weeks between them. It's all a bit random in truth.
 EV charger problem in London. - No FM2R
If I can be so nosey, why do you travel heavy? Presumably you're not delivering stock, so what is it, samples?
Those and exhibition kit.
 EV charger problem in London. - Duncan
>> Caught a train just before 6.00 am from a local
>> station, changed onto the underground and was in my meeting by 08.15. Finished at 11.00
>> and was home again in time for lunch. Absolutely painless. ( apart from the £159
>> it cost to do it ) If rail fares were a bit more sensible

www.thetrainline.com/farefinder/

Glad to be of service.
 EV charger problem in London. - Rudedog
What £159! does come out of your pocket or can you charge it?

Working for the NHS and being involved in some of the IT work I often have to travel to Paddington from just inside the M25, because if where I am it can take me 2 hours plus to get there on public transport, I buy a travel card but as it's at the peak time I think it's about £17, at one time I could claim that back but now times have changed, not long ago I ended up having to go for a whole week, I couldn't claim any of that back so was out of pocket for nearly £90.

(Sorry not sure what that's got to do with EV charging)
Commuted from Northampton or Milton Keynes to Euston from 1990 to 2013 (and from Watford for 4 years before that).

Fares gradually went up from £1900 to £4000+ for long distance and were £800-£1k from Watford. At no time, even with free parking at work, would it have been cheaper, never mind easier, by car.
If I have to be in London at short notice then standard return (open fair) is about £321. I'd usually try for an advanced ticket, at least for the journey down. But £321 is ridiculous in my opinion.

Often take advantage of Virgin sales and get two returns for £40 with booked seats.
>> If I have to be in London at short notice then standard return (open fair)
>> is about £321. I'd usually try for an advanced ticket, at least for the journey
>> down. But £321 is ridiculous in my opinion.

It is but while business customers will pay it's not changing. And while you can sit and work each way it's not necessarily that bad value.

What would the 'turn up/go' air fare be? And you'd struggle to be productive shuttled round departure halls and then on a plane.
>> What would the 'turn up/go' air fare be?

£321 the last time I did this.

EDIT: Just checked and it's now £338.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 22:47
>> >> What would the 'turn up/go' air fare be?
>>
>> £321 the last time I did this.

So same as rail fare?

No Sheet sherlock.
I was referring to rail fairs. I missed the 'air fair bit'. To go by plane is actually probably cheaper but takes longer overall and needs to be booked in advance.

Train from here to London is 2 hours and you're at Euston. Fly and you have to check-in, go through security, fly for maybe 30 minutes, then do security, get into London etc.

But I can't actually just turn up and go really - expenses need to be approved in advance these days (apart from driving). They are trying to avoid unnecessary costs.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 22:50
Just checked BA flights and at short notice it is ridiculously expensive for a day trip.

The cheapest way is to actually go off peak on the train the night before and stop over (i.e. pay for some cheap accommodation).

... or not go at all.
 EV charger problem in London. - smokie
Whatever happened to video and voice conferencing? I ran global projects a few years back, popping into London occasionally to use the fancy video conferencing suite but most work was done on the phone, often spending many hours a day of calls to colleagues in Africa.

(I did go to Africa once and if the bank hadn't insisted on sending me business class it would have been less than double your fare from Manchester to London!!)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 23:08
>> Whatever happened to video and voice conferencing?

Use it all the time - well voice. Could do video but there's no need. Hence the company making it more difficult to just go somewhere for a meeting.
Latest Forum Posts