Motoring Discussion > Jaguar XF - Good used buy?
Thread Author: Phil F Replies: 19

Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Phil F
Hi all,
I have been looking around these for ages,have found one that looks like a good example.Does anyone here have one or any views on them please?
They look a lot of car for the money but all that glitters etc!
One thing I have a specific concern about is the seats, the one I am looking at is a 2010 Luxury and they don't look particularly supportive??

Cheers....Phil.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Zero
Shed loads of problems - electrical nightmare. Seeing the guys down the road 2010 saloon disappear down the road on a low loader and come back two weeks later is a regular event.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - MD
What he said. Avoid.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - madf
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/jaguar/xf-2008/

POC
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - DP
I think it's a case of the later the better with these. A colleague bought an 09 reg one new, and had no end of grief with it in the first year (including a fuel tank that had been incorrectly fitted at the factory!). In his case, the issues were also exacerbated by a truly incompetent dealer, so it was almost a perfect storm, but the experience was dreadful.

I've since known two people with 11 reg cars (both V6 diesels, one S, one non-S) which have been near faultless. The S had racked up 30k a year for four years as well, and apart from a penchant for mullering its rear brake pads by pretty much every service (due to the traction control and ESP apparently), had given very little in the way of bills.

FWIW, the interior of the XF is lovely. Looks a little dated now, but the materials are top notch, and the general ambiance is a cut above the German stuff IMHO. Jag has always done this well though.

Singling out Jags as problematic is a bit unfair I think. Let's face it, you'd need to be fairly brave to take on a 7 year old example of anything in this class. Modern Audis, BMWs and Mercedes aren't exactly known for being trouble free and cheap to maintain as they age.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 11:01
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Runfer D'Hills
Of course we can all only speak as we find DP, but I did nearly 200,000 in my old E class and have so far done 60,000 in my "new" one and neither car has had any problems at all. Of course, if something major were to fail, it'd be expensive no doubt, but it feels to me like a well kept E would be as good a bet as any.

I know a guy who has a large minicab firm in the North of Scotland, runs more than 40 vehicles of various makes. I remember asking him which ones "lasted" the best and he told me that the mainstream stuff, Skodas, Fords, Vauxhalls, Nissans etc were usually good for about 400,000, the Audis and BMWs could be pushed a bit harder to 500,000 or so but that he had an S class saloon and an E class estate still going strong on 800,000 + miles. In fact the S was his daily driver at the time and still looked absolutely fine.

I've often since reflected that all those numbers are quite reassuring in truth. Many think of a 100,000 mile car as being pretty much at the end of its useful life when in fact, if properly maintained, they can all do much better than that.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Hard Cheese
That's very general though surely R D'H. Audi's and Skodas use pretty much the same running gear so should be equally robust (or otherwise) and Mercs built between around late 90s to the mid '00s had/have a tendency to rust as they mistakenly used cheap steel. Frankly this shook my previous faith in MB along with the engines being generally less sweet than BMWs, at least until the last four or five years. Some say that MB quality has never been as good as the W124 E-Class, W140 S-Class and R129 SL.
Not my opinions HC, just feedback from a hard nosed businessman who cares only that the cars do what he needs them to.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Duncan
>> Of course we can all only speak as we find DP, but I did nearly
>> 200,000 in my old E class and have so far done 60,000 in my "new"
>> one and neither car has had any problems at all. Of course, if something major
>> were to fail, it'd be expensive no doubt, but it feels to me like a
>> well kept E would be as good a bet as any.

My old E Class went to 215,000. Recon gearbox at 155,00. I sold it because I was getting nervous about its reliability. No sound reason other than worrying that one day.....

My present E Class has done 97,000 and is coming up to ten years old. In fact Hans and Klaus were strapping it together ten years ago this month. My biggest concern at the moment is where to get it serviced?

>> I know a guy who has a large minicab firm in the North of Scotland,
>> runs more than 40 vehicles of various makes. I remember asking him which ones "lasted"
>> the best and he told me that the mainstream stuff, Skodas, Fords, Vauxhalls, Nissans etc
>> were usually good for about 400,000, the Audis and BMWs could be pushed a bit
>> harder to 500,000 or so but that he had an S class saloon and an
>> E class estate still going strong on 800,000 + miles.

I would like to ask him which cars wouldn't he buy?
>>I would like to ask him which cars wouldn't he buy?

Good point, only thing I specifically remember was his derision of DSG gearboxes. Next time I'm speaking to him I'll ask your question though.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - rtj70
>> only thing I specifically remember was his derision of DSG gearboxes.

Is that dual clutch gearboxes in general of VW group DSG/S-Tronic boxes? And there's at least 4 variants of those I think with the latest being a 7-speed wet clutch variant for high power/torque applications.
We really didn't get into that level of detail Rob, it was just a brief and chance conversation with a bloke who is married to one of our customers. All I remember was something about DSGs and not touching them with someone else's bargepole...

;-)
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Dog
www.parkers.co.uk/jaguar/xf/saloon-2008/owner-reviews/
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Timeonmyhands
I bought a 2009 in 2012 15k on the clock, having had two Lexus before.
Wouldn’t buy another, DPF nightmare, window regulator cables rusted,
MAF sensors playing up. I think it’s a rebadged Ford.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Hard Cheese
>> I think it’s a rebadged Ford.
>>

If it were it would probably be more reliable. AFAIK the only Ford related components in the XF are/were the V6 diesel engine, that originated as a joint Ford/PSA project, and the relatively short lived 3.0 v6 petrol engine.

The X-Type was of course closely related to the Mondeo, and perhaps better looking, though the latter was both more practical and better to drive.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 11:53
Thanks all for your replies.Yes I think the later is probably the better,I wonder if the facelifted version would be a much better buy??

Cheers....Phil.
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - MD
E Class. You no risten Glasshopper!
Hi MD....No I am ristening...E Class it is...:)
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - TheManWithNoName
If you buy an XF, just don't hit any animals. It may trigger the pyrotechnic bonnet mechanism if it thinks you've hit a pedestrian.

KERCHING!
 Jaguar XF - Good used buy? - Manatee
MX-5's now have exploding bonnets, although not in the US, oddly. When it goes off it bends the bonnet so it will be expensive. There are some fireworks attached to the hinges at the windscreen end.

Some of the reactionary types in the owners' club are very cross about it.

It will be a damn nuisance if it does go off on account of one of the muntjac we are plagued with, but if it happens, it happens.
Latest Forum Posts