Motoring Discussion > New car ideas please Buying / Selling
Thread Author: DeeW Replies: 21

New car ideas please - DeeW
It doesn't seem that long ago since I had help with this from some of you, albeit on .. sotto voce... the other site. Was that really in '04?
The car is now showing signs of age and not really what I need now, having bought it when I had two large dogs, family at home plus two disabled who needed the height for ease getting in and out, doing some 25k miles a year. No longer have boats to tow either. Oh, and it is diesel.

Now my needs are easier.
One dog, getting older, so needing lower back end.
Five doors plus room to put at least one carseat in the back (children grown up, three grandchildren arrived). Maybe room for a pushchair, no wheelchairs now.
I do relatively low mileage now as fun outings in someone else's car, but need it to be comfortable enough for at least one very long trip a year ... Highlands, Cornwall and Wales being recent destinations... with potentially four adults aboard plus dog.

Did I mention, nice to drive? Both on country lanes and motorways.

The Xtrail still has some value according to We buy any car type sites, so presume will trade in. Will need to look at deal deals there are for finance if I need it, but have about £8k available otherwise.

New car ideas please - martin aston
A lot if cars will fit the bill.

I suggest you consider a 2012 onwards Civic. Its no bigger in the outside than other cars in its class but has a big boot and the magic seats offer additional storage options. This includes a very low sill for the dog to negotiate if you want it in the car rather than the boot.

While not the most fun car in normal driving, the engine loves revving if you do want to press on. Its a good relaxed cruiser in normal use and should, in 1.8 petrol, give you mid 40's.

New car ideas please - Runfer D'Hills
You'd get a very nice Focus estate for your budget. Being a Ford, it'd be a pleasing drive, the dog would appreciate the lower height and you'd get all your other kit in.
 New car ideas please - Boxsterboy
>> You'd get a very nice Focus estate for your budget. Being a Ford, it'd be
>> a pleasing drive, the dog would appreciate the lower height and you'd get all your
>> other kit in.
>>

Or maybe a slightly roomier Ford C-Max? (assuming an S-Max/Galaxy is too big). Certainly no SUV-type thing with a raised floor - the dog wouldn't thank you for that.
 New car ideas please - Zero
I'm with the commercial traveler. Focus estate fits the bill admirably.
 New car ideas please - Hard Cheese
I also agree, wouldn't look past a Ford, a Focus estate, C-Max, Grand C-Max or S-Max.
Today is just getting weirder by the minute. Zero and HC both agreeing with me?

Blimey !

;-)
>> Today is just getting weirder by the minute. Zero and HC both agreeing with me?
>>
>> Blimey !
>>
>> ;-)

your taste in shoes is still crap
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 12:41
At least I have some quantifiable taste in shoes !
Yes Quantity surveyors do wear builders sand stained boots.
 New car ideas please - Manatee
Even I agree having had a quick filtered trawl of Motorpoint's offerings in the 8,000-10,000 range.

I'd strongly prefer the naturally aspirated ones to the ecoboost variety, even if they are less lively. Too much to go wrong with those things especially on a used car and they don't deliver on economy for most people.

Possibly include B-Max if big enough, ditto Focus 5 door.
I may have to go and lie down for a bit...

;-))
Oh and for the older dog? get a fold up dog ramp
 New car ideas please - No FM2R
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711071015262 - Though the sill at the back might be a bit high for the dog.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 11:37
 New car ideas please - Dog
Howls about something beginning with Mmm: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711211436473?
 New car ideas please - hjd
If you only do one or maybe two long trips with several adults on board in a year, you might be better off hiring a car for those trips and buying something that fits all the other requirements.
>> If you only do one or maybe two long trips with several adults on board
>> in a year, you might be better off hiring a car for those trips and
>> buying something that fits all the other requirements.

So in effect you are suggesting she buy an uncomfortable car for the rest of the year? ;)
 New car ideas please - DeeW
Thank you all. Looks like a visit to the nearest Ford garage, with a look at Mazda and Honda on the cards. The links were useful, thank you.

New car ideas please - martin aston
I have recently been helping a friend look at cars that focussed on these very suggestions in this price bracket.

All are good cars if you find the right one. Just some thoughts on our experience.

Approved Honda and Mazda come with a range of benefits (not least one year manufacturer warranty) at much the same prices as other dealers. Ford may offer something similar but after looking at a couple we struck the Focus off the list.

A lot of cars of this age do not have full service history and salesman will use weasel words such as "service history present" without saying its partial. Also its worth getting to see the V5 before the salesman draws you in to a test drive. We found cars with three or more owners. Not an issue in itself but together with the service history and MoT online history check tbese can tell a story.

As for specifics Civic will be dearer to buy (or older) but offers better economy (about 10% better than the Mazda and Ford) space and performance (if you rev it). Rear vision is often raised by reviewers but owners usually don't find it an issue and most have reversing cameras. Mazda 3 will mostly be 1.6, 2.0 are rarer. Nice car but ensure the boot is big enough and tbe 1.6 is powerful enough if you consider one. Both cars have chain cam engines which saves the cost of a cambelt which a Focus may be due. As for the Focus it was our least favourite option. Its a close relative of the Mazda so similar boot and performance comments apply - although the 125 hp version will be better. The estate boot is a lot bigger than the hatch but only marginally bigger than the Civic hatch. The rear legroom in the Focus feels tight andis the same for hatch and Estate. The interiors of the Focus feel a notch down from the competition but maybe a matter of taste. Heated screens are nice though.

Whatever you buy don't overlook the tyres. Many of the cars we saw had worn or low budget tyres. Sounds trivial but a set of mid-range tyres for the Civic are about £300 and the Mazda £400 as they use a less common size. So 5% of your budget could go on new tyres.

There are more pros and cons with each of these and the is just a snapshot but is based on recent experience. Good luck with your search.
 New car ideas please - devonite
The Skoda Octavia estate I have is perfect for the job, nice and comfy, 5 good-sized seats, economical drive and acres of room for Muttley(3) behind the rear seats, which also fold flat to make it look like a mobile cave! ;-)
 New car ideas please - Hard Cheese
>>
>> As for specifics Civic will be dearer to buy (or older) but offers better economy
>> (about 10% better than the Mazda and Ford) space and performance (if you rev it).
>>

Depends on which engine, a Focus estate is by far the most practical and is available with a few petrol engines 105 and 125 bhp 1.6s, 125 bhp 3cyl 1.0 turbo and 150 and 180 bhp 1.6 turbos. The latter two will be a lot punchier than a 1.8 Civic, which as you say needs to be revved, and doubtless also more economical in day to day use.

New car ideas please - Manatee

>> Depends on which engine, a Focus estate is by far the most practical and is
>> available with a few petrol engines 105 and 125 bhp 1.6s, 125 bhp 3cyl 1.0
>> turbo and 150 and 180 bhp 1.6 turbos. The latter two will be a lot
>> punchier than a 1.8 Civic, which as you say needs to be revved, and doubtless
>> also more economical in day to day use.

The Civic 1.8 i-VTEC and the Focus 125bhp ecoboost (2014 on) both have real MPG of 41.x according to HJ. The 1.5T 150 ecoboost does 35.4 vs 51.4 official (and that's the manual) which is shameful. The pre-2014 1.6 ecoboost is a bit better at 36.8.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2014/10t-ecoboost-125

As I remarked before, although I think you might have disputed the point, the little turbos are much better at official figures than they are at real life (which is presumably why so much development has effectively been wasted on them). The official figure for the Focus is 60.1, of which it achieves 70%.

I know which I'd rather have, punchy or not.

En passant. The 2014 on naturally aspirated Mazda 3 1.5 and 2.0 are both doing 43.x mpg on 'real mpg'. The pre-2014 model is much less economical.
Latest Forum Posts