Motoring Discussion > Running on the Spare Wheel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 33

Running on the Spare Wheel - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I are having a long weekend in the caravan near Folkestone. Today was day trip to France for top up on Ricard and Pelforth beer. Running around coast 'entre deux caps' we were suddenly aware of drumming noise and investigation found RH rear tyre pretty well totally deflated. Re-inflated with pump at road side but could hear it hissing.

Stopped in next village and put on spare which is same size as normal wheels but steel rather than alloy and secured with bolts that have seperate tapers for either wheel type.

Need new tyre as old one was run too far flat and anywat both rears are close to wear limit.

So I either get new tyres at rack rate in Kent tomorrow or tow caravan home with an alloy/steel combo on rear. My tyre man at home says don't chance driving 180 miles with steel/alloy mix as offsets differ etc but actually looking at car I can't see this.

In practice savind between rack Yokohama's in KEnt and my preferred BF Goodrich at home is less than £30 so I'm booked at KF Folkestone tomorrow but what does panel think real risk is if I tow 'van home on steel spare?
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Runfer D'Hills
Wouldn't dream of telling you what to do, but I will tell you what I'd do. If it's a rear wheel with the same sized tyre on a FWD car I'd chance it.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Manatee
I wouldn't want to end up with an odd Yokohama.

Either come home as you are (make sure rears well inflated to towing/load pressures) or if it worries you that much put the spare on the front. But I really wouldn't bother.
I've a friend with an odd Yokohama. He's learned to live with it, but people can be insensitive about it when they notice. ;-)
 Running on the Spare Wheel - tyrednemotional
.........That 'friend' didn't by any chance have it fitted when he damaged a tyre by kerbing it (at the same time as he caused 'almost imperceptible' damage to his alloy wheel).....
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Zero
Give Humph a break about wheel, it could happen to anyone.

As for towing, I'd only be doing it at 50 mph max, wouldn't want to get a snake on
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Hard Cheese
If the spare tyre is the same size/profile as the other three tyres then there is no problem at all towing the caravan home with it fitted. Any difference in offset will be very minor. The only issue will he if you pick up another puncture.
>> .........That 'friend' didn't by any chance have it fitted when...

No he didn't, but more to the point, it seems that Zero might have a small something to tell us about his new car...?

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 09:21
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Old Navy
Not something big, red, and weighing about 12 tons I hope.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 09:25
 Running on the Spare Wheel - tyrednemotional
....yeah......... How are the mighty fallen.............

....you know that alloy wheel insurance he turned down......?
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 09:31
Like he says though, could happen to anyone. Especially if there is a loose and protruding kerb stone and it's dark. And the chip shop is about to close.
Yokohamas fitted this morning and all fine. I think it was prospect of a second flat that swayed me. Had two in last month so third must be just around the corner.....
 Running on the Spare Wheel - hawkeye
The moment has passed but I wouldn't hesitate to tow with steel and alloy wheels mixed on the same axle. In my experience, equal tyre pressures and equal wheel size across the axle has much more to with stability than the material of the wheel. Your caravan won't suddenly turn into an unstable potential wreck at 60mph because one wheel is alloy and one steel.

And I don't believe that a factory-supplied steel spare would have a different offset to factory-supplied alloys; there's enough choice in the wheel supply world for it not to be an issue when specifying a spare. Not that a couple of mm would make a ha'porth of stability difference on the rear.
>> And I don't believe that a factory-supplied steel spare would have a different offset to
>> factory-supplied alloys; there's enough choice in the wheel supply world for it not to be
>> an issue when specifying a spare.

Looking at it and using nothing more sophisticated than fingers between tyre and wheel arch/liner
offset difference was at best minimal. The caravan adds it's noseweight (about 70kg) to car's payload. I guess if it starts to snake poor/asymetric rear wheel geometry might make matters worse. But then I'm towing at less than 85% kerb weight and never felt more than a twitch when overtaking/being passed by HGVs, even pressing on at a (legal as gross train weight less than 3500kg) 100kph in France.

Actually though it was easier to zip up to Kwik Fit in Folkestone early doors while Mrs B sorted out the caravan than to faff about this afternoon after getting home. Never mind if BF Goodrichs were late arriving - I'm working 10:00 - 19:00 tomorrow and Mrs B needs to be in Oxford all day and overnight.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 21:48
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Oldgit
People actually still tow caravans around the country? And a dreary wet weekend in Folkestone and running on rear tyres with only 1.6mm tread? I don't like the sound of this thread unless I haven't read the OP's post correctly.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Old Navy
>> I don't like the sound of this thread unless I haven't read the OP's post correctly.
>>

Strange people these cyclists! :-)
>> People actually still tow caravans around the country?

Yes they do. And with scant regard to other people's prejudices. Sometimes at Christmas as well.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Cliff Pope
>> >>And with scant regard to other people's prejudices.
>>

What do you mean by that? Surely one should always have scant regard for prejudicies?

>> >> >>And with scant regard to other people's prejudices.
>> >>
>>
>> What do you mean by that? Surely one should always have scant regard for prejudices?

I hope that was what Hawkeye meant. I inferred he is a supporter of personal choice.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - commerdriver
Surely there are no prejudiced people on here :-)
I took it to infer that caravaners have scant regard for people who are prejudiced against them.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Cliff Pope
That's how it seemed to mean. It just seemed a bit oddly put. It's not clear whether he is adopting a stance on the pro/anti caravan debate, or more subtly, commenting on the prejudice or otherwise of those who do.
There are various possibilities:
Pro-caravan but prejudiced
Pro-caravan but enlightened and open to arguments
Anti-caravan but prejudiced
Anti-caravan but enlightened and open to arguments

>> Pro-caravan but enlightened and open to arguments

That's me, imo.

>> Oddly put? Maybe I need more forum practice.
>>
Anti-caravan but enlightened and open to arguments>>

That's me I reckon.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - No FM2R
>> >> People actually still tow caravans around the country?
>>
>> Yes they do. And with scant regard to other people's prejudices. Sometimes at Christmas as well.

I think you mean that caravanners don't care much about the prejudices of non-caravanners? Assuming that is what you mean, then neither should they.

Its an activity that they clearly enjoy that others either don't want to do or are deeply offended that they are held up on their vital business by a slow vehicle and so believe others should not do.

Ridiculous but increasingly a common attitude these days.

Not a caravanner myself, but good luck to them. Even if it does infringe on your right to drive at the speed limit at all times.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 15:25
>> People actually still tow caravans around the country? And a dreary wet weekend in Folkestone
>> and running on rear tyres with only 1.6mm tread? I don't like the sound of
>> this thread unless I haven't read the OP's post correctly.

Tyres were more like 3mm - just approaching the wear indicators. The sidewall of the one run flat was clearly knackered and I preferred a pair to doing one now and another in 2 months. Main purpose was day trip to France. Sunday gave us chance to explore Romney Marsh and Dungeness, worth a return visit in spring/summer.
Dungeness is hilarious. Did you go on the train?
>> Dungeness is hilarious. Did you go on the train?

Train was only running Santa Specials and nor as far as Dungeness. We love wild places and resolved to return in the Spring. The Club site at Hawkinge is fine for us and very convenient for Chunnel if we want to incorporate a trip to Calais or Boulogne.
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Pat
We've been on the train to Dungeness and it was brilliant.

Wacky, different and not to be missed!

Pat
 Running on the Spare Wheel - Zero
>> We've been on the train to Dungeness and it was brilliant.
>>
>> Wacky, different and not to be missed!

You'd want to have missed this service

www.steamrailway.co.uk/steamnews/2016/9/20/five-hurt-in-rhdr-crash
We did Pidou and Adinkerke on Sunday too Bromp, did you go on Eurotunnel?

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 13:03
>> We did Pidou and Adinkerke on Sunday too Bromp, did you go on Eurotunnel?

We were over the Channel on Monday. France is usually closed on Sunday though there might have been an 'ouverture exceptionelle' at Cite Europe.
>> We did Pidou and Adinkerke on Sunday too Bromp, did you go on Eurotunnel?

Looking at Pidou's website some of their sites are 24/7 and are focussed on wine and other drinks for UK mass market. No good though if I'm looking for Pelforth beer or Ricard pastis as they don't stock either.

Could I get that stuff on Sunday in Adinkerke which I'm guessing you visit mostly for ciggies?
No certainly not, Adinkerke is not for alcohol!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts