Motoring Discussion > General Question - oil again! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 24

General Question - oil again! - devonite
Bumped into an old mate last night! - haven't seen him for a few years, and as usual got into a discussion about Oil. He reckons i'm being wasteful changing my oil every 5000 mls, as semi-synthetic is good for 12000mls. I've had the Octavia 12 months now and in that time it's done 4300mls, mostly cold, short, trips taking the hounds out. so I've booked it in for a change. Mate says that oil will last another 12months at that rate, but that would make it two years old and I think that is too long as the additives would have deteriorated .I tend to think that the age of the oil is more important than the mileage it has done - which of us is in your opinion is correct?
This is the chap that used to change his oil every time I changed mine - and put my used oil in his car!!
 General Question - oil again! - Runfer D'Hills
Changing it can't hurt. Not changing it might.
 General Question - oil again! - VxFan
Most manufacturers specify a set mileage or age, whichever comes first. e.g. 20,000 miles or 1 yr.

What does yours specify?
 General Question - oil again! - Lygonos
Always used fully synth - chemically superior in every way to mineral oil.

Changing annually is sensible even at low miles = bigger proportion of cold driving = more fuel dilution of the oil.
 General Question - oil again! - Zero
People still use Semi Synth?
 General Question - oil again! - bathtub tom
>> People still use Semi Synth?

Suggest you look at the formulation of 'fully synthetic'.
 General Question - oil again! - Old Navy
Most manufacturers have a recommendation for severe conditions oil change intervals. Usually found in the cars handbook. As you are doing short, cold engine journeys why not use that interval using the recommended oil?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 13:16
 General Question - oil again! - CGNorwich
I just take the car in for a service when the car tells me and the dealer uses the specified stuff.
I am sure your car is delighted.
 General Question - oil again! - CGNorwich
It has never complained.
I've always used 5k miles as my routine, makes me feel happier! ;-) when I was working I could sometimes do it every 3 months! now I'm retired 12months between changes seems to be pushing it a bit! - I'd rather pay £40 rather than £400 if thats being wasteful then I'm sorry to say so be it! ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 13:59
 General Question - oil again! - Manatee
>> Bumped into an old mate last night! - haven't seen him for a few years,
>> and as usual got into a discussion about Oil. He reckons i'm being wasteful changing
>> my oil every 5000 mls, as semi-synthetic is good for 12000mls

Oil needs changing primarily because it is contaminated. Whether it is pure mineral, semi or fully synthetic, the change interval is the same.

Maybe some oils can deal better with contamination, but 'long life' oil sounds like a con to me.

If the car was used once a week and did 5000 miles, maybe leave it. If it's used daily, then change it - it will have more carp in it.
whilst we're discussing it, I notice that garages are still selling additives like Wynns and STP, I used to use this in the 70's do folk still use it?!!
The only oil additive I used was Molyslip in an original mini running 30 grade oil in Australia. It saved an overheating (top hose split) engine. The garage that replaced the softened valve springs and skimmed the warped head were most interested in what oil I was using as they expected it to be sized. I have not used any additives for five decades. I realised that all cars need is good quality oil and regular changes.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 15:15
 General Question - oil again! - Runfer D'Hills
I had an STP sticker on my old Land Rover, couldn't afford the STP but I think the sticker was free in a car mag. Among the many others on it, the sticker I now specifically remember with some considerable horror that was on the back of that car said "Skiers do it up mountains"

Still, at least I didn't put a "Turbo" sticker on a Panda like a guy I knew did...

;-)
 General Question - oil again! - madf
Swmbo's Yaris does under 2k miles a year. Change oil and filter every year. The smell of the old oil is horrible..vile presumably part combusted diesel from short journeys.

Lots of cheap full syn 5w-30 available so for £30 I can do oil change with Toyota oil filter Bargain..
 General Question - oil again - martin aston
my wife's Corsa does similar miles and gets an annual change. However our local indie recently charged an eye watering £171 for an MoT and oil sevice. Seems very expensive.

I hate doing oil myself so I will use ATS or similar next time. They do a minor service and MoT (with Vauxhall spec oil) for under £100. I know fast fit places might recommend other work but my indie has not been blameless in this regard either so at least I start from £70 less!
 General Question - oil again - Robin O'Reliant
The filter on my Almera is a pig to get at, being at the back of the engine. I take the car to my local indie where I bought it, I supply the full synthetic oil and the filter and he does the change for a tenner. Well worth it as laying on my back under a car has long since lost any attraction.
Halfords usually have a cheap deal on oil in January.

Got a stash of 5w30 fully synth (Ford spec) for £12/4 litres and have been treating the FRV to a change every 6,000-6,500 miles.

So much easier/less messy with the Pela pump, and I can unscrew the filter with my bare hands because I have porridge for breakfast.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 17:26
 General Question - oil again! - Dutchie
Good quality semi synthetic change oil ten thousand miles on stop start runs.
 General Question - oil again! - bathtub tom
Had an old car back in the '70s that drank a pint of oil every fifty miles or so. Started filling it with the Duckhams 20/50 I drained out of my other car. Consumption of the old thing started dropping considerably until it used virtually no oil at all.
 General Question - oil again! - commerdriver
>> Had an old car back in the '70s that drank a pint of oil every
>> fifty miles or so. Started filling it with the Duckhams 20/50 I drained out of
>> my other car. Consumption of the old thing started dropping considerably until it used virtually
>> no oil at all.
>>
1970s engines don't like thin oil, I use a 20/50 in the Commer
 General Question - oil again! - Dog
>>1970s engines don't like thin oil, I use a 20/50 in the Commer

Back in the 80's I treated my Hiace to a gallon of Mobil 1. The noise from the timing chain next morgen woke 'alf the street up. I drained it mucho pronto, stuck some GTX in, and flogged the thin stuff to a 'mate'. :)
5 litres of fully synth 0W-20 for £23 delivered?

Honda's own oil for petrol cars is now 0W-20 although I've used 5W-30 for the past 5 years/80k miles in the FRV (Halfords Mercedes flavour for the last 3 years).

www.ebay.co.uk/i/351816994373?chn=ps

EuroCarParts ebay page usually beats their website of course.
 General Question - oil again! - Rudedog
Currently I've found my usual Castrol Edge FST 5w-30w longlife III (5 litres) for £26.99 delivered from an EBay company based in Scotland, god knows how much they pay in postage for a heavy item like oil to the other end of the country.
Latest Forum Posts