Motoring Discussion > The Grand Tour - Volume 2   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 98

The Grand Tour - Volume 2 - rtj70

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

Season 2. Anyone bothered to take a look yet? Any good?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 18 Jan 19 at 02:32

The Grand Tour Season 2 - No FM2R
"That's a 6 and a half litre V12 turning petrol into noise".

Loved the show.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - VxFan
Watching it now. The montage of the next 11 weeks looks good, as well as the 1st episode.

The boys (well, old men) are definitely back.

All the annoying bits (the yank, that stupid track, exploding heads and dying celebrities) have all gone.

The three of them abusing each other, going fast, making noise, being boys, celebrities racing is all back.

If you don't like them, then you won't like this and you'll just have to content yourself with peering down your nose condescendingly at the series.

If you do like them, and I do, then its really enjoyable. Proper.

No. 1 daughter and I were laughing out loud at times, and there was no boring gap to go and get another glass of wine - and by my criteria that means it was *very* entertaining.

And as Dave said, the montage of future episodes looks good.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 03:27

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Bobby
Just reading this I have realised that I never actually finished watching the first season.

Love watching the guys, most of the time, but subconsciously it must have fallen off my "must watch" list

The Grand Tour Season 2 - BiggerBadderDave
I've never watched it. What channel is it and how do I get it?

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Zero
Its on Amazon prime, or steal it from your favourite torrent site.

Amazon Prime? Never heard of it. How do I get it? I know about Netflix, don't suppose it's in there?

>> Amazon Prime? Never heard of it.

www.amazon.com

>> How do I get it?

www.amazon.com

>> I know about Netflix,

Ace

>> don't suppose it's in there?

No, otherwise I would have said "Hey Dave its on Netflix". and not "Hey Dave its on Amazon prime"

But but but but...

Oh yeah, I'll try www.amazon.com

How much does it cost?

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Hard Cheese
£7.99 a month.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - DP
Don't forget that also gets you free next-day delivery on Prime eligible products with Amazon. If you have an NUS member in the household, you can get Prime free for six months, then half price (£39 a year)

Very much looking forward to Season 2. Youngest daughter and I will be banished to the conservatory tonight to watch it. The mere sight of Clarkson gets SWMBO too angry to be worth the bother :-)

Last edited by: DP on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 10:15

Just saw the start of Series 2 on a firestick whilst I was setting it up.
Looks like the new series could be fun!

The Grand Tour Season 2 - zippy
It's all very, very, very silly!

Especially Mr May's new hair!

Of course I may have to force myself to watch episode 2. :-)

Well watched the first episode.
They have dropped the bit where celebs got killed as they approached the tent.
Instead they have came up with a time trial where they get two celebs to race round a track!!!

Oh and this episode also featured May’s crash.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - rtj70
>> Oh and this episode also featured May’s crash.

Did it? I saw Hammond crash the electric car. ;-) What did May do?

Ok it was late, right!!!

It was OK, Glad the DOA celebs thing is gone, glad the stupid yank is gone, all they need to do now is get rid of the conversation street thing, its just a boring time filler.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Crankcase
Just watched it on the iPad. This leads to two observations.

An amazingly high definition image two inches from your nose really does make you think, "Wow. Look at that. They look so old."

And

Thank goodness a swipe of the finger means you can skip the celebrities going round the track segment pretty much instantly. And, I imagine, Amazon know you've done that. Message sent.

Other than that, usual plaudits. Will watch episode 2, and will be swiping the same segment away.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Boxsterboy
Just watched it. Dozed off in parts, but despite that it's better than Season 1.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Dog
>>An amazingly high definition image two inches from your nose really does make you think, "Wow. Look at that. They look so old."

Um, they look just as old on my 42" plasma TV from 6' from my snout. Reminds me not to get a haircut anytime soon.

Clarkson in particular looks like he's aged 10 years since the last season. Quite remarkable.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Dog
>>Clarkson in particular looks like he's aged 10 years since the last season. Quite remarkable.

Overdone the sauce most likely - check out the whites (sclera) of his eyes :(

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Dave_
>> >>Clarkson in particular looks like he's aged 10 years since the last season. Quite remarkable.

>> Overdone the sauce most likely

Nasty dose of malaria in the summer. He's given up the cigs but not the booze.

One of my favourite Clarkson quotes: "If they don't want you to drink so much, why is a bottle of wine exactly the right size for one person?"

Well, Abbie Eaton is young, though I hope they find her some better cars to drive. Well, more exciting to watch, anyway.

>> Nasty dose of malaria in the summer.

I thought it was pneumonia.

Anyway I watched in on Thursday and thought (1) his gut was impressive and (2) his tongue looked a bit red.

Abbie Eaton hopefully will be more than an anonymous figure - she deserves that. She is a good racer/driver.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 16 Dec 17 at 00:04

It sets out to be a fun show, and it is one.

Works for me.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - movilogo
Just finished watching 2 episodes back to back (with usual fast forwarding in celebrity bits).

Good but nothing special as such. The car vs public transport show now becoming bit tiring to watch with very predicable results.

From the clips it seems future episodes could be more interesting.

just watched episode two. Just more of the same, its a bit tedious tbh. Was there any doubt the car would win?

Just watched it as well. An odd mix of tedious and predictable, with a few laugh-out-loud moments just to keep you watching.

Clarkson's phone contact names for Hammond and May, the calls to the airline, James May "caring for" Hammond. Seems pitched to my sense of humour perfectly. A mate I was watching it with was much less impressed, so it does seem to be a personal thing.

Not the best thing on telly, but well worth an hour a week, IMO.

Article: it's all fake and it matters.

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/12/a-forensic-debunking-of-the-grand-tours-trip-to-switzerland/

Good point or "well, yeah, obviously, so what"? The latter for me.

The "I bet you are fun at a party" comment says it all

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Manatee
I was surprised at how boring episode 2 was. 20 minutes of utter tedium to start with, part 1 of the 'race' against public transport. I watched it all yesterday but all I can really remember is waiting for something interesting to happen.

I gave up on TG with Evans, and I'm fairly close to it with this.

Still not very informative, and no longer funny.

>> Article: it's all fake and it matters.

Trouble is, there are still a handful of people that see this (and Top Gear) as factual motoring programmes, whereas in fact they're actually in the entertainment category.

All I can say is lighten up a bit and take it with a pinch of salt.

Episode 3

Still worth watching rather than not, but a middle sector using professional drivers pretending to be office workers and the second half a Clarkson monologue.

>> but a middle sector using professional drivers pretending to be office workers

Industrial park racing could catch on though. They're right in that many industrial estates could make good race tracks, especially at the weekends when a lot of the companies are closed and the places are deserted.

I have got to grips with TGTs2 a bit. Conversation street is about 12 mins long, the Celebs in a car bit is about 14 mins long. Its not easy to FF Amazon prime on my tv but once you know the length you are after its much easier.

So having dumped 26 minutes of the crap its a much easier watch. Nice mix of cars and locations. Enjoyed the office park racing, we used to do a bit of that in the past, clearly (as shown by the BMW uber fancy drifting) the drivers were pros, and the bin crash was staged, but still enjoyable.

Its not a "must watch" but as an alternative to celebrity pointless its stuffing to a turkey.

Like the little homage to "Rendezvous in Paris" at the end.

For those who have never, here it is.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDXlDxMnb4

Yes the Rendezvous homage was enjoyable. The scenery in Mallorca was good for me too as I'm cycling there in April!

Didn't care much for Episode 4 · Unscripted. All very predictable (despite it being "unscripted") and it was quite boring.

This weeks episode, "Up, Down and Round the Farm" was better. JC mimics one of Ken Blocks car skidding videos, calling it Farmkhana. I actually found it more entertaining than the other two pointing out the embarrassing behind-the-scenes footage.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LO6Ykq6qK8

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 13:20

Another enjoyable episode. Also the first time I have ever watched the celebrity bit, as I find Bill Bailey very funny.

Loved some of the touches on that Farmkhana thing. The advert on the car that said "Man Juice" when the door was opened, and the clever play on the GoPro sponsor logo (GoAmateur).

And who doesn't want a Ripsaw Tank?? :-)

Really enjoyable.

Last week was a bit "meh", but this was really fun.

Tonight's was great fun. Although the ski-ing in the Jaags looked highly dangerous!

The Jaaaaaaags thing was good, tho i was horrified they destroyed a Mk10

Just watching episode 3.

Race on a hill with skateboarders
Using an office ind estate as a race track

Didnt Top Gear do this years back?

Cant complain too loudly since I am watching it for free on Kodi on my Amazon firestick!

>> Didnt Top Gear do this years back?

Series Five, Episode Two. One all terrain skateboarder so a little different.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVf_e6p7Nxg

Or was there another too?

We enjoyed it.

Ah, the Jags thing. For me that was just like the old days at their peak.

A great film and I enjoyed it a lot. The skiing was genuinely exciting, though of course probably done with a green screen, stunt drivers, editing, turning the camera to make it look steep and filmed on the artificial ski slope in Harlow, for all I know.

Good stuff. I look forward to a total clunker of an episode next week, as they often seem to do that.

Really enjoyed this week. Nothing particularly earth shattering, but interesting, amusing and entertaining.

The foundation of a long running series, were it not for the fact that I doubt the presenters want one.

Loved the re-fuelling sketch! Silliness in the extreme!

It was good this week.

Yes, the Quattro v Lancia rally story was far more in depth than usual for them (I have no idea if their report was factually accurate...)

I thought it was but wondered. I had a brief check and I'd say essentially accurate but flippant or simplistic in places.

I enjoyed the report though. Very interesting. Even #1 Daughter enjoyed it.

you need to watch "Rallying, the Killer years". I went to watch few in those years, hiking and camping out in forests, and followed it on tele, jeez it was spectacular, terrifying, but spectacular.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 16:35

>>Yes, the Quattro v Lancia rally story was far more in depth than usual for them (I have no >>idea if their report was factually accurate...)

That was an very good piece!

Astonished at the crowds on the track, who would just jump out of the way at the last second.

Lad at college (sixth form) got a brand new Audi Quattro with all the options for his 17th birthday!!!!!

Bit late, I've been away and only just watched last week's episode.

Great standard. Interesting, informative, amusing and at times quite silly.

The section on the track at the end was great.

If only it was thia good every week.

I'm surprised there were any gears left in that gearbox of the Aston Martin after Clarkson had finished with it.
I realise it's for "entertainment" purposes, but he shows no mechanical sympathy at all with anything he drives.

>> I'm surprised there were any gears left in that gearbox of the Aston Martin after
>> Clarkson had finished with it.
>> I realise it's for "entertainment" purposes, but he shows no mechanical sympathy at all with
>> anything he drives.

And the last time you made perfect gear changes with a straight cut non synchromesh non sequential racing gearbox was?

>> And the last time you made perfect gear changes with a straight cut non synchromesh
>> non sequential racing gearbox was?

Given time, you learn to master the perfect gear change. Something that I'm sure JC is capable of, had he not been for trying to be a buffoon for "entertainment" purposes. But as so often with JC, he takes it beyond the point of "entertainment" to the point of it becoming tiresome.

>> >> And the last time you made perfect gear changes with a straight cut non
>> synchromesh
>> >> non sequential racing gearbox was?
>>
>> Given time, you learn to master the perfect gear change.

Ah! you haven't. Nuff said.

>> Ah! you haven't. Nuff said.

Get out the wrong side of the bed this morning grumpy?

Do you have any details on the gearbox?

I think Clarkson mentioned lack of synchro but that just implies a dog box, the point of which for racing is rapid clutchless changing (synchro slows the change). That is achieved in race conditions by unloading the gearbox momentarily and changing positively, not fannying about double-declutching.

Whether or not it has straight gears makes no difference to the change, although that whine suggested it might have.

In road use, changing gently but firmly, using the clutch, is usually fine subject sometimes to a clang that you wouldn't get on a synchro gearbox but double declutching helps with down changes.

Yes I have done it. It is certainly not as difficult as Clarkson made it look, not on a Bedford RL anyway! Higher rpm does make it trickier but no excuse for that performance so he was presumably making a meal of it for reasons known only to him and Wilman.

>> Yes I have done it. It is certainly not as difficult as Clarkson made it
>> look, not on a Bedford RL anyway! Higher rpm does make it trickier but no
>> excuse for that performance so he was presumably making a meal of it for reasons
>> known only to him and Wilman.

Actually lower revs in a Hight perfromance car makes it harder. Mix low speed and low revs and its a real chore. In race conditions you would simply crash it with no clutch changing up, and heel and toe changing down.

A bedford RL with low gear rations is not a peaky engined race car which is not happy or designed to tootle around
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Feb 18 at 12:54

The Grand Tour Season 2 - commerdriver
>> I realise it's for "entertainment" purposes, but he shows no mechanical sympathy at all with
>> anything he drives.
>>
Clarkson seems, at times, to enjoy portraying himself as technically incompetent, at his age, with his experience, he must be more capable than the image he presents sometimes.

He could have just double de-clutched? (assuming he knows how) but that would have provided less entertainment.

The latest episode was okay - the magicians drove in terrible conditions to get any laptop times.

A good episode I thought.

Watching it now.

ROTFL at the Pond Bug.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Bromptonaut
DHL has painted three of it's freighter aircraft with GT prenters:

www.avsim.com/forums/topic/526966-dhl-names-and-paints-three-planes-after-richard-hammond-james-may-and-jeremy-clarkson/

That link just gives me "This page can’t be displayed"

The Grand Tour Season 2 - CGNorwich
Must be you. Works fine here.

>> That link just gives me "This page can’t be displayed"

Works for me, perhaps you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

No, I'm not grumpy like someone I could mention.

It's probably a work browser problem and sees it as a threat.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Feb 18 at 12:29

Yes it’s a Gaming sight for flight simulation enthusiasts. No doubt it appears on a standard list of time wasting sites for blocking.

Most enjoyable episode of the season so far. I know it's staged, I know it's scripted, but I still found myself laughing out loud at bits of the Pond Bug sketch. Fast forwarded through the "celebs" as usual.

Overall, IMO, Season 2 tends to suggest that they are going to find their place and their style, and it will appeal.

I am just not sure that the 3 will want to continue.

S1 was a finger wave to the BBC, S2 is good, S3 will prove it beyond doubt. What will motivate them to continue?

£££££££££s

The last three have actually been interesting, at least in part.

Just watched it, very good enjoyed the old supercars and pond bug*

As usual FF past the chat bit and the stars bit makes the prog work.

*has some great memories of a bond bugs in the early 70s real fun car

Someone had a bond bug on our street when I was growing up. I was too young to do more than notice.

This week's stars bit was okay - magicians. Usually it's a yawn.

This season of the Grand Tour is better than the first. How long it last might be dependent on the health of JC - he doesn't look so healthy does he.

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Videodoctor
Or the other two for that matter.

>> DHL has painted three of it's freighter aircraft with GT presenters:

youtu.be/GT8Nh_-FapM

Another good episode. I think they've hit the sweet spot with regard to what the viewer wants.

And if money was no object, I'd have that Tesla Model X.

>> And if money was no object, I'd have that Tesla Model X.

What an ugly car (IMHO). And the rear doors were done that way because they could not because they are that useful. Down the line those are going to cause problems to owners when the car is out of warranty. Far too complex.

Agree. The Model X is supposed to be family-friendly/SUV competitor, the type of car that often has roof bars fitted, but those doors rule out roof bars. Which is not very family friendly.

>> Down the line those are going to cause problems to owners when the car is out of warranty. Far too complex.

Yeah, but like I said, if money was no object, would you worry about things like that?

The rest of this weeks programme (well, apart from Celebrity F-off of course) was very good. Their derision of SUVs and James' comment on how good a Transit van he hired was struck a chord with me.

>> >> Down the line those are going to cause problems to owners when the car
>> is out of warranty. Far too complex.
>>
>> Yeah, but like I said, if money was no object, would you worry about things
>> like that?
>>
Even when money is a consideration, the key markets for most manufacturers in the UK are the company car market, closely followed these days by the private lease / pop market.
If the new cars continue to sell to these markets long term issues are largely ignored, especially if manufacturers cover things with extended guarantees.
As a long term company car buyer I have never considered possible long term issues in any car, maintenance will not cost me anything, financially or in convenience terms, while I have the car, it's not a concern

>> If the new cars continue to sell to these markets long term issues are largely
>> ignored, especially if manufacturers cover things with extended guarantees.
>> As a long term company car buyer I have never considered possible long term issues
>> in any car, maintenance will not cost me anything, financially or in convenience terms, while
>> I have the car, it's not a concern
>>

It may not be a concern to you now, but when the cost of maintaining ever more complex cars outside of the warranty period hits their used values, and thus residual values, such that your monthly leasing costs go up, and your choice of cars reduces, then it will concern you.

>> when the cost of maintaining
>> ever more complex cars outside of the warranty period hits their used values, and thus
>> residual values, such that your monthly leasing costs go up, and your choice of cars
>> reduces, then it will concern you.
>>
Why should it ever hit their used values.
Like many people on here, my motoring memories go back to the 70s when cars lasted from new to scrapyard anything from 5 years to 10 if you were lucky Look how complex even a basic car is today in comparison to what you had in the 70s or 80s yet cars are more reliable and long lasting than they ever have been.

>> Yeah, but like I said, if money was no object, would you worry about things
>> like that?
>>

The times when you can use the 'ludicrous' power are so few and far between, never mind irresponsible. I think I would rather go for a Volvo XC90 hybrid and a track-day car, rather than try (and fail) to combine the two.

Watching that episode I can see no reason why you'd think you'd have a Tesla Model X. The version tested was one with the maximum battery capacity, ludicrous mode and other options. But a Model X starts at £70,500 for a 75D.

Those doors are a liability and too complex.

If you could still get a Tesla with unlimited free charging at a Tesla charge point and keep it long enough, I think the business case changes. But the Model X is hideous.

So I'd still go for a Model S if I wanted one and I'd actually still get unlimited free charging if I got one. But I'm not getting one. :-)

A very funny show - I'm sure they did a similar one on Top Gear though, using pick up trucks?

The Tesla is a cool car, though I agree, those doors are a repair bill waiting to happen.

Can't help thinking that, except for a very few circumstances (911 etc.), cars without a front grill look odd and imho Tesla haven't made the front look that cool.

Loved the lawyers in the car!

>> The Tesla is a cool car

The Model X? What makes it a cool car? I am genuinely intrigued. JC's auto driving bit is 90% achievable in normal cars. Indicating to change lanes and have the car do it is not something many/any other cars do.

>> cars without a front grill look odd

The Model S originally had a better look at the front. A blacked out bit where there'd be a grill. They changed it no doubt when people got more used to the car's overall look.

I think the Model S looks good with the right proportions. Model X is not good. Model 3 is the really ugly one - inside and out.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 10 Feb 18 at 00:33

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Lygonos
Still get free use of Supercharger network with Teslas.

However, it's a £70k+ car.

All the free fuel in the world is never going to make it cheaper than a Mondeo.

>> Still get free use of Supercharger network with Teslas.

Not everyone gets unlimited forever access to the supercharging network. Buy a new Tesla yourself and you probably do not qualify for unlimited charging for free for life. Apparently I could. Still not getting one.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 10 Feb 18 at 01:47

The Grand Tour Season 2 - Lygonos
>>Buy a new Tesla yourself and you probably do not qualify for unlimited charging for free for life

Yes you do.

When you buy you use a referral code from another owner.

www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/referral-program

These high end Teslas are amazing, until you factor in the eye-watering prices. £140k for a car just isn't a realistic proposition for all but the top fraction of a percent of car buyers.

Someone posted the video of the drag race shown in GT on social media and there were the predictable responses from the Tesla fanboys "Family car beats supercar" "The end of internal combustion" etc etc. All conveniently ignoring that what we were watching was a "family car" that costs the same as a supercar. And is therefore an irrelevance for all but the very top fraction of a percent of car buyers out there.

When you can buy a car with that performance and range for half that price, EVs will start to become interesting. As with all new technology, the early adopters are paying a premium. I'm happy to wait for the prices to fall back.

Hmmm, not so sure about the last episode (Mozambique Special) of the current series.

It all seemed very familiar.

I was quite impressed however with Hammond's cheap TVS Star motorbike he bought new in a supermarket for £800.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Feb 18 at 10:30

Last Friday's was a real dud after three good ones, even then there were chunks I ff'd through Haven't seen today's yet.

This weeks, the last of the series? was exceptionally repetitive. Annoyingly so

Latest Forum Posts