Motoring Discussion > KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul Car Deals
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 19

KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Fullchat
I can no longer contain myself and the time has come to bare my Soul - Kia Soul actually. :)

For some time myself and Lady FC have been passing admiring comments to Kia Souls as and when we have seen them. Quirky? Yes. Funky? Yes.

So the time came during the summer when a family shuffle about of our Kia fleet came about. We have 4 Kias. But due to kids at Uni it was time to downsize the fleet. So both of kids went and Lady FCs Picanto got passed down for the kids use.

We had planned on the new Picanto for Lady FC but parked outside were a couple of year old low mileage used Souls. So we came away with one.

Do you know what? Love it. 1.6 petrol is a bit gutless when pushed. I would imagine it would be better in diesel form or with the addition of a turbo. Well equipped comfy spacious interior. Excellent brakes and transmission.

Recently completed 2000 miles to Stuttgart, Munich, Nuremberg Austria and back via Ypres visiting student daughter, friends an family. Averaged 42 MPG pushing along at good autobahn speed. It was in that environment it ran out of puff particularly on long uphills but I can live with that. Other than that great to drive.

Don't see many on the road, more common in the States. I counted 3 during the whole of our European trip.

KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Runfer D'Hills
That's a relief. I like them too, but I thought it was just me !
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - BiggerBadderDave
I love them too! We bought a new one in summer!

Although ours is only a two door. Top door - fridge, bottom door - freezer.
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Crankcase
One of the best EVs out there, certainly on price and features.
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Lygonos
>>One of the best EVs out there, certainly on price and features

Yup - efficient too despite the boxy shape - the 30kWh version gets a genuine 120-130 miles in summer and can be nursed to 100 miles in freezing conditions.

Can get PCP price under 20 grand just now from carwow, or lease around £200/mth (plus £1200 deposit) for 2 years.

Never driven one - all of the online reviews are positive, even the petrolhead ones.

The 201hp turbo-petrol looks like a laugh despite the so-so handling and DCT gearbox.

Strongly considering getting one for the gaffer.
Well I never!

All coming out of the closet now. What have I started :)
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - tyrednemotional
...they just all want to be your soulmates......
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Old Navy
It makes a change from all the German luxo barges and Chelsea tractors!
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - zippy
>> It makes a change from all the German luxo barges and Chelsea tractors!
>>

Can't understand why they still sell so well after diesel gate and all that.

I was reading that VAG even consider dampers to be wear and tear items now and only guarantee them for six months and there have been reports of them failing shortly after six months.

My lease on the Tuscon runs out in just over 2 years so I will start looking in 18 months and unless something dramatic changes I will be looking to stay with Far Eastern cars.

Kia know their market and the 7 year warranty hits the spot for many that want peace of mind over badge snobbery!
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Bobby
Well I still think its ugly looking!
Far too boxy / postman pat look about it
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Dog
>>Well I still think its ugly looking!
>>Far too boxy / postman pat look about it

I'm wiv ^this^ geyser.
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Auntie Lockbrakes
Boxy often equals spacious. The Skoda Yeti was a hit too, wasn't it?! And Citroen sold loads of Berlingos...

I'd certainly feel more comfortable putting my own money in to a Kia, Hyundai, or Mitsubishi than a European brand. Possibly add Honda to the list too.
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Hard Cheese
Ugly as hell, no idea what it's like to drive though it doesn't pass first base.
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - movilogo
I liked Kia Soul. The view from driver's seat is great. The flat bonnet is visible. Seating position is comfortable.

Only issue was small boot. If the boots were little bit bigger, it would have been my ideal car. Having said so, Ssangyong Tivoli XLV fills that gap in the market. It is like Kia Soul with an elongated boot.

KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - CGNorwich
If
>> I'd certainly feel more comfortable putting my own money in to a Kia ....

Then you would lose it fairly quickly
Depreciation is pretty awful
I think depreciation of Kia is lower than its competitors. Based on SMMT data, Kia now sells as many cars as Toyota. With long warranty used car prices hold their values quite well.

A 2-3 year old Kia is still under warranty and already took hit on initial depreciation.

However after 7 years, Kia's value drops like a cliff edge.

KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - Bobby
Wonder what that warranty covers in those final years??
Am sure there will be s long list of restrictions?
www.kia.com/uk/innovation/7-year-warranty/terms-and-exclusions/
Last edited by: movilogo on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 10:37
 KIA SOUL - Bare My Soul - smokie
So here's a fact rather than speculation - daughter's C'eed had a problem, (apparently) with the immobiliser kicking in, about 4 months after the 7 years had expired. I took it to a Kia dealer once my "little man" had run out of ideas and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the key, right at the point where it goes into the plastic fob. I can't quite recall but I think £200+ to repair. We were prepared to pay but the dealer negotiated on our behalf with Kia customer services and managed to get it done FOC under warranty.

And on depreciation - all cars depreciate don't they, especially when bought new? No surprises there then? I'm not really aware that Kia's are any worse. My Ampera has a 7 year power and drivetrain warranty and I expect the value to drop like a stone after that.
In laws also have a Picanto 59 plate and out of warranty. Low mileage for year.
Not the most dynamic of cars being only 1Ltr and 3 cylinders but it became seriously under powered.
Took it to their local mechanic who diagnosed a loose crank pulley. This was knocking the timing out. Bit of research showed this to be a common issue. Bolt comes slack and pulley starts to move on crank causing excessive rotational movement and timing goes to rats. A very expensive fix involving a new crankshaft. Car was not worth a bill maybe getting close to £2K so decision was made to scrap..
However it appeared Kia had historically acknowledged the issue as a manufacturing defect and with not too much resistance the vehicle was shipped to Kia dealer in its stripped down form and they subsequently fitted a new revised bottom end.
Cant really grumble with that level of customer service.
Latest Forum Posts