Motoring Discussion > Wish I had fitted winter tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 104

Wish I had fitted winter tyres - movilogo
Not seen heavy snowfall like this in South East in last few years.

Hardly any cars even on main roads. I don't think even AWD/4WD owners are taking their cars out. No one uses winter tyres here either.

On a psychological aspect, I think only people take their cars out are banger owners and expensive (even with lots of gizmos for driving in snow) car owners are unlikely to go out thinking they'd spend more to repair damage to their expensive cars if they skid.

Sunday is bad day for snow fall like this. Should have happened on a weekday :-)

Wish I had fitted winter tyres - R.P.
Been snowed in since Friday. We live on a lane that services a number of large farms. It was more or less normal yesterday. Loads of proper Land Rovers have come out of the woodwork. Two bikes out on the main roads. We had our winter coats on. We are almost northern I suppose.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Bromptonaut
Been coming down in lumps here since early hours but tailed off in last few minutes. Four inches plus.

One car in road been out so far and not back yet, taken Lexus rather than their Mondeo. Expect it will be usual half mile on snow to meet (bus) route that's routinely ploughed/gritted. Will be worse tomorrow when it'll be compacted snow or slush rather than current fresh stuff.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 10:39
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Hard Cheese
Currently contemplating whether to brave the wintery chill and put the winter wheels/tyres on the 120i ...
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - CGNorwich
Wouldn't bother. Turning to rain later
Snow here this PM and cold tomorrow so if it settles it might not thaw. They'll be useful at some point through the Winter anyway, last winter they were not fitted until Jan IIRC though stayed on until March. Still contemplating getting some for the M135i.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - PeterS
I had them put on mine last weekend, with new Michelin Cross Climate tyres. Made a significant difference in the very cold / frosty weather we’ve been having. Though it did need two new rears tyres anyway - they were down to 3mm, and the Michelin Pilot SuperSports don’t perform particularly well in low temperature, certainly not when they’re getting low and definitely not when it’s damp!

I went up a tyre size this time though; they came with 205/50/17s all round, replacing 225/40/18 at the front and 245/35/18 at the rear. This is the approved BMW size, but you can also use 225/45/17, so I thought I’d give them a try. Clearly in real snow narrower tyres would be better, but I really just want the better low temperature performance - I don’t envisage drifts of snow along the south coast ;)

Initial thoughts are that they work well, they don’t seem any noisier than the MPSS, and they have better grip. They also get up to a sensible working temperature on my commute, which the MPSSs didn’t when it was freezing. After 10 miles they’d be at around 4 degrees; these are at 12. More rubber moving around, and a different compound presumably. I’m sure it’d be twitchier at high speeds, but even I haven’t gone fast enough to find that point :p
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Roger.
There are just a few errant flakes here (S81 area). Just enough to coat our road a smidgen: I've just been out for some go-juice (Sainsbury's: 119.9, eek) ready for an early start taking my granddaughter from school near York to the orthodontist in Harrogate. (The school could do it for £20, but as it's her first visit, we thought a bit of family support would be nice.)
All main roads here are perfectly clear, so I'm expecting the A1 and A1M northwards to be fine tomorrow.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 11:38
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Runfer D'Hills
Had a few heavy snowfalls here since Friday. Currently about 4" deep on those roads which haven't been cleared. Been out in the Aygo and the Merc in all of it. No problems at all driving in either vehicle. All this hoo ha about RWD cars being "undriveable" in snow is,as always, utter horlicks. You just have to take a bit more care is all. Saw the TC light flicker on the Merc a couple of times and the ABS has kicked in occasionally in both cars, but other than that, no drama.
The only time snow has stopped me getting anywhere in a car on public roads was in Arundel in a front wheel drive Audi on 18” wheels. But it was quite a steep hill... I didn’t abandon it though, it was just parked. Unconventionally maybe, but definitely parked ;)
Tried to take my car (auto, FWD, summer tyres) out. Very difficult to move. After switching ESC off could make some progress, then saw a RWD Jaguar stuck at the entrance of our cul-de-sac. Thought I'd not bother any more so came back. Wonder how I'm going to work tomorrow :-(
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - No FM2R
>>Wonder how I'm going to work tomorrow :-(

Damn, what are you? Some immigrant who's never been out in the snow before?
I've asked the same question (work one not the immigrant one) - decision is a pitch inspection in the morning and then decide - not paid enough to worry about wrecking my car. In theory I could go to a local nick to work - but that's four miles away and you wouldn't see me dead on a bus !
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - CGNorwich
A bit pathetic is it not. You can walk 4 miles in just over an hour.
Hahahaha...not likely.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - sooty123
>> Hahahaha...not likely.
>>

What's wrong with walking or using a bus?
90 minutes by bus (20 mins in the car) and a 4 mile walk through a foot of snow...!
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Old Navy
>> What's wrong with walking or using a bus?
>>

A bus does not have an adequate badge.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Zero
>> >> What's wrong with walking or using a bus?
>> >>
>>
>> A bus does not have an adequate badge.

and they are full of old people whining about London.
>> and they are full of old people whining about London.
>>

London is a fabulous place, so glad you live near it.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Duncan

>> and they are full of old people whining about London.
>>

Nothing wrong with being old, or whining.
>> Nothing wrong with being old, or whining.

There is now you have all escaped from Weatherspoons.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Dec 17 at 12:58
>> Nothing wrong with being old, or whining.

Or trying to project a gobby London wide boy image.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Dec 17 at 12:58
In 42 years of driving, most of which have involved long distances, in all weathers, both in this country and abroad, I have never actually ever been stuck. That's not to say that conditions haven't, on occasion, been a bit challenging.

I've had 4x4s, FWDS and RWDs and I can honestly say that the only time I ever really appreciated four wheel drive was for a stretch of about 100 yards up a steep hill in heavy snow. Once.

We lived 1200' above sea level in the Scottish Borders for 8 years where snow and ice were a common occurrence. Of course you had to take extra care driving but that is about it.

We seem to live in a society now where everything is over dramatised, and I suppose if we are breeding a generation who can burst into tears because they've been voted out of a singing competition, it sort of sets the bar as to what they see as a problem.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 12:09
Humph, you can walk the wintery hills in trainers if you want to though you really are better off with walking boots ...
>> Humph, you can walk the wintery hills in trainers if you want to though you
>> really are better off with walking boots ...

Not even slightly denying the usefulness of winter tyres, of course they help. Doesn't though, by default, mean that everyone else can't get about, or that their cars become "undriveable"
The most significant factor is also knowing when and when not to attempt a journey in the first place! Those of us with a modicum of sense don’t start a journey if we think we’re not going to compete it, ergo we never get stuck... though, I was going home and indeed was only 200m away when I decided to park ;)
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Robin O'Reliant
Not a flake here so far and I'm hoping it stays like that. I have to visit a couple of villages in the foothills of the Preselis tomorrow and they tend to get it heavy when it comes. The snow is still a good few miles north of us and the forecast looks like it will not reach us.

Two new (Non winter) fronts fitted the other week so I have plenty of tread all round if it does.

I think it could be easier (!) in the North because

1. People are used to it.
2. Fewer cars, so chance of hitting another car is fairly low.

In the South East,

1. I spoke with people who have not seen this type of snow ever (recent immigrants). They believe snow makes no difference to driving at all (so takes car out and then stuck).
2. Cars everywhere - everyone is trying to squeeze thru nano-centimeter gap.
3. Being late for 5 minutes means end of the world
4. People having more money (flashy cars yet cars not driven up to their capabilities) but less sense.
5. One car being stuck means 10s of cars are stuck behind.

and many more...
Last edited by: movilogo on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 12:20
>
>> 1. I spoke with people who have not seen this type of snow ever (recent
>> immigrants). They believe snow makes no difference to driving at all (so takes car out
>> and then stuck).

Blimey, you will blame anything on immigration you, I think you will find that all the Eastern Europeans have seen worse snow than this, must be all the non european immigrants causing the problem.

Wish I had fitted winter tyres - helicopter
Funnily enough Peter, I was very nearly stopped by snow near Arundel a few years back. Bury hill snow and ice proved a problem in the Accord but I made it up despite the problems of avoiding the other vehicles slipping and sliding around. I then had the greater problem of getting downhill into Arundel and onto the A27 , literally sideways at times.. not fun.

Only once abandoned a journey in snow in the late 70's on the road from Hexham to Alston in a Hillman Avenger.The rain became snow became a bliżzard became a whiteout and moorland road covered by drifts. I decided discretion was required and turned back. Alston was cut off for over a week
Ah yes, Bury Hill... that reminds me of another occasion, in 2003 I think, when while balancing the need for speed and momentum to get up the hill vs the ability to get round the sweeping corners at the top I managed to do a complete 360 degree spin at the top and (miraculously) continue my journey home down to Arundel :)

The A27 out of Arundel is always a problem in snow or ice because as soon as one car stops the whole thing grinds to a halt. It’s not a particularly steep hill heading west, but it’s long. Better gripping winter tyres would definitely help keep traffic moving ;)

In the event of snow I’d always go south through Arundel to the A259 and then along to join the A27 and Chichester. Much further, but flat. With the added benefit of more lightly trafficked so more snow and less slush!
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - hawkeye
Christmas 1981; heading from Leeds to Ninebanks (near Alston) for family Christmas get-together in a newish Fiat Strada with snow chains and a shovel in the boot. Mrs H heavily pregnant with our first. Gentle snow up the A1 but it thickened up as we headed up the dale to St John's Chapel. Chained up in St John's Chapel but couldn't make it out of the town. Traction was there but we were defeated by lack of ground clearance. Dug a space in virgin snow to turn round and headed back to town. Asked in a pub for accommodation and eventually found a bed and some sausages in a local B&B.

When we got to Ninebanks the following day after following a snow plough, our hosts, who were used to the weather, asked why we hadn't gone further north up the A1, then along the A69 to Hexham and come in that way. Lack of experience, I suppose.

Their family cars were a SWB petrol Land Rover and a Fiat 600.
I am contemplating 18" wheels with the recommended 225/40 tyres, probably runflat and possibly Hankook iCept as they are well rated and a little cheaper than Continental etc.
If it’s of any use for reference I paid £436 for 4 Michelin Cross Climate 225/45/18 (W94), fitted and balanced, from Blackcircles
>> On a psychological aspect, I think only people take their cars out are banger owners
>> and expensive (even with lots of gizmos for driving in snow) car owners are unlikely
>> to go out thinking they'd spend more to repair damage to their expensive cars if
>> they skid.

WRONG!

Expensive car with lots of Gizmos (4wd, traction control, stability control) out in the snow to film this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxIer_fuU28

No winter tyres BTW, no problems.

(edit, the train never made it BTW, stopped at Reading lines through oxford blocked, trip abandoned)
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 12:42
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Falkirk Bairn
2010 was a bad winter for me - Nov 7th the snow started & it was the end of February before it cleared. 1 metre of snow in 2/3 days started it.............I was ill @ the time on cryotherapy so although the heating was on full tilt x 24 hrs I was cold.

The council failed to send a gritter to our hill at the outset - they ended up with a farmer & a JCB literally digging the snow out & piling it in the gardens -5 /6 feet high.

4WD & /snow tyres were useless.
>> 4WD & /snow tyres were useless.

Much the same here during that one, vehicles snowed in for a week, but it was exceptional.

A couple of millimetres of snow in the south and they are panic buying Huskies. :-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:48

>> A couple of millimetres of snow in the south and they are panic buying Huskies.

Yeah, I am doing great business training them to savage miserable old matelots who might come south.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - helicopter
No snow here in West Sussex but the wind is bending the trees sideways and I have just been out trying to support one of my fence panels which is breaking away from the post. Wedged it currently with one of the 4 ft pots ( with a palm tree in it) but another job to be sorted.

Just watched the BBC news and their reporter near Llangollen had found the quietest snowiest country road he could to make his report and just as he emphasised the dangerous conditions three trials bikers zoomed past him at high speed into the distance without a care in the world.
>> Expensive car with lots of Gizmos (4wd, traction control, stability control) out in the snow
>> to film this
>>
>>

Z, don't undermine the benefits of winter tyres a rwd BMW on winter tyres would run rings round an X-Drive on summer tyres so I'd seriously consider a set of winters if I were you.
>> Z, don't undermine the benefits of winter tyres a rwd BMW on winter tyres would
>> run rings round an X-Drive on summer tyres

Not with mr "contemplating braving the snow" at the helm it wouldn't.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:48
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Falkirk Bairn
Son was out & about in Aberdeenshire on his snow tyres - M3+ snow tyres was fine.
In 2010 he had a 5 series, without winter tyres & was stuck- could not get out of estate to go & buy a set of winter tyres!
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - No FM2R
>> a rwd BMW on winter tyres would run rings round an X-Drive on summer tyres

I've heard this crap a load of times and it's just that, crap. I can't help what you've read, I drive in the Andes in snow in a variety of vehicles, and give me 4WD with s*** tyres over anything 2WD with snow tyres or chains, it is simply that much more stable.

I can remember two consecutive days when I took the PPoS up which is 4WD but normal tyres and a RWD Ford Explorer SUV with chains. The PPoS was significant easier to drive safely, and I do not believe that snow tyres are as effective as chains. not even close.

Don't bother pointing me towards loads of links saying anything else. This is *my* regular and frequent experience, on deep snow, fresh and compacted, not just something I've read about someone else's opinions.
>> No winter tyres BTW, no problems.

Not more than a dusting of snow either. Try this for snow.

youtu.be/g9SZJ3EDl8w
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:49

>> Not more than a dusting of snow either. Try this for snow.
>>
>> youtu.be/g9SZJ3EDl8w

I am always reminded of this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ4RQIGruOU
Moved Mrs B's car off the drive and parked it down road while I shovelled snow.

Turned it round OK and back to head of cul de sac where usual S reverse into drive was too much.

Problem was it didn't like lock being applied. Quick bit of digging to expose a foot or two of tarmac behind and in front of driven wheels and it's back in drive. You don't get brought up at 600' on edge of Dales/Pennines without having to do that a few times.

Both cars now have a spade in the boot.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 14:48
Spade or shovel ?
>> Spade or shovel ?

Spade. Better for breaking/shifting compacted snow IME. I have a plastic snow shovel but it's only any good with loose/fresh stuff.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - madf
5cms of snow Saturday.
Lots forecast SUnday - none happened.
Main roads clear.. side roads very icy.

Morning walk at 8am fine in walking boots - only one slide in a 1 in 3 downhill which no car had dared traverse- sharp S bend at bottom so undriveable up it for any car not on winter tyres.

It will soon be spring and the "My aircon is not working" posts. :-)
One of the best buys ever was a snow scoop from ASDA at least 6 years ago. Cost a fiver and has annually earned its keep scooping everything other than snow until today that is. Feedback: it works well.
>> One of the best buys ever was a snow scoop from ASDA at least 6
>> years ago. Cost a fiver

The one I used for fresh stuff on drive was similar but from Aldi.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Haywain
"One of the best buys ever............"

............. was 3 large concrete breeze blocks (the square figure-of-eight type) that I used to place in the boot of my Sierra GLS at the first sign of dodgy weather. That car could skate like Jayne Torvill.
>> "One of the best buys ever............"
>>
>> ............. was 3 large concrete breeze blocks (the square figure-of-eight type) that I used to
>> place in the boot of my Sierra GLS at the first sign of dodgy weather.
>> That car could skate like Jayne Torvill.
>>
I bet it didn't have bumpers like hers. :-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 11 Dec 17 at 15:57
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Rudedog
Being at 720' on top of the North Downs means we are often treated to a covering of snow while others around us at lower altitude don't, I've driven down to work in Croydon with my covered and been the only one in the car park with a hint of the white stuff on it.

As has been said many of my colleges come from Poland or Italy so are used to the snow, but I have had many an occasion where snow has been predicted/started at home time and the whole of Croydon just goes into gridlock, very few knowing how to drive in a light covering, on top of that it is quite marked the difference in London boroughs commitment to snow clearing/salting, I can drive up through N.Addington with snow everywhere but cross the boarder into Bromley and the conditions are usually much better.

What kills me are slight slopes that end in a junction/roundabout or traffic-lights, you can't keep your momentum up because having to stop at the junction which then means a very careful pull away, this is where people start to slid or wheel spin then that causes everyone to stop or try and overtake which leads them to get stuck as well.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Dog
THIS is the way to spend a cold & windy (s'no snow tho) Sunday afternoon:

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/27184324199/in/datetaken-public/lightbox/
We had some snow over night, a light covering but nothing serious. I doubt more than half an inch. Started raining a few hours ago, all gone now.
A few inches on the Mendips this afternoon.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:56
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - VxFan
2 feet of snow here

i.imgur.com/PK18R.jpg

(sorry, old gag from a previous post of mine)

Couple of teenage lads went through the village earlier in a Ford Focus while I walked down the local shop to get my Sunday paper. Slipping and sliding about everywhere they were. Not helped by the excessive speed they were going. Next minute car spins sideways, almost clouting the wall outside the village hall. He manages to straighten it up and off he goes again. Spinning and sliding all over the place.

"He'll learn" I thought to myself. Then had a flashback to when I was a teenager and was probably doing the same thing in my car ;)

Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Lygonos
Nothing in central Scotland other than -5ºc frost.

In 2010 I was driving with impunity in my Forester on its all-weather Geolanders (Geosquealers on dry tarmac) - only time I got stuck was trying to turn round in a carpark with about 2.5' of snow and I bottomed out badly - had to dig a bit from behind the wheels and reverse back along my original tracks.

Guess who got to do all the housecalls...
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - cosec
About 5 inches of snow here near Bedford. No problem in the Mitsubishi but really not looking forward to my 5.45 am start tomorrow. Drive 7 miles to the station in my little Smart for four. Might have to pull rank on the Missus and take the Mitsubishi. She does not leave for work until 8.30 b which time the roads will be a bit clearer I hope.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - spamcan61
Stuff all snow down here near Christchurch; very windy this morning, plenty of rain and a bit nippy, but that's it. Just as well as I needed to drive to Weymouth today to see me mum, even milder and drier down there.
How windy in Weymouth? It was forecast force 9 to 11 in Porland today.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - spamcan61
Didn't seem too bad at my mum's place, about a mile inland ; certainly less windy than back home where 60mph gusts were believable. d'oh I should've gone up Portland to have a look at the weather down at the Bill, should think it was pretty spectacular.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Dog
Winter tyres? .. it's a no brainer!

Scroll down to 2nd vid: www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/how-to-drive-safely-in-snow-and-ice/
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - DP
Winter tyres? Rainsports maybe. It's rained solidly here since Saturday. A few flakes of snow yesterday, but turned back to rain after half an hour.

Roads and garden flooded.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Bobby
Winter tyres are fabulous - I have never got stuck once in the years that I have put them on.

Mind you, this has also coincided with the years when we have had no snow.........
Managed to reach work without any drama (avoided a shorter village route in favour of longer motorway journey). The main roads and motorways were all clear. The most difficult part of journey was from my home to main road. Being in a cul-de-sac that part is most treacherous with snow/ice.

Little drizzle started, hope it will turn the snow to slush.

>> Managed to reach work without any drama (avoided a shorter village route in favour of
>> longer motorway journey). The main roads and motorways were all clear. The most difficult part
>> of journey was from my home to main road.

I'm off out for a haircut shortly. It'll be same here in that I'll forego usual route through lanes for the ring road via it's spur to the M1. First half mile to the regularly gritted bus route will need care. Slush though rather than ice as the threatened seriuos night frost didn't happen.

OTOH there'll be the usual cretins who think ABS/traction control means they can do 30+ in the slush.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - devonite
Cold, dry, no wind, blue skies and no sign of snow - nice bright sunshine! i think it's summer again! ;-)
There's snow up on them there hills ...

No snow at home though I can see it up on the hills above around about 800ft. Our son nearly got stuck last night.

I had a non vital trip to London planned for today, a 280 mile round trip, changed my plans as it looks like there's snow over Salisbury Plain and around the Heathrow area.
Very wise, specially as you don't have x-drive.
>> Very wise, specially as you don't have x-drive.
>>

True! Though with winter tyres on the 120i I have so much more grip and traction than any 4WD on summer tyres.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Boxsterboy
We were in Cologne for the week-end, and it snowed heavily yesterday morning. Everyone there is on winter tyres (it's the law when the conditions dictate) and so everyone kept moving with no-one stranded/blocking the way. This even though the roads, including the autobahn, appeared not to have been gritted.

It was my first time using the Michelin Cross Climates in proper snow and they performed as well as 'regular' winter tyres that I have used before. It will be less hassle having to change them back to summer tyres come spring.
>> Michelin Cross Climates

Read good stories about it. Might fit to my car next time.

Having said that, previously I fitted all season tyres in my car and then for 3 years didn't see snow.

Hence reverted back to summer tyres, to improve fuel economy.

Wish I had fitted winter tyres - martin aston
I have got Michelin CCs. I think they are marginally less economic fuel wise than summer tyres as the computer average dropped slightly - about 1% - after I fitted them. Its such a small change its not an issue. And of course it might have been other factors anyway that caused the drop.

They have only faced slush so far but felt good. Good to hear they work in serious snow.
Just plodded down the 1/4 mile to the village. Untreated lane has been cleared by farmers needing to get the milk truck up and down. Frozen solid and very hazardous - especially with a mad Spaniel on a lead

>> Frozen solid and very hazardous
>> - especially with a mad Spaniel on a lead

www.adanacsleds.com/sleds/
We considered that. Trouble is the lane leads to a field where they are allowed to run free in (by our neighbour farmer) The old dog loves the snow..
Been out to Tesco and back. All treated roads OK and road at this end of village clear enough to make me wonder if it's been (exceptionally) gritted yesterday. The threatened heavy frost last night stayed away though.

Won't be like that tonight. Sky now clear and temperature dropping like a stone. Half a degree on the weather station's outdoor sensor but slush in cul de sac already frozen.

Lass who cut my hair earlier agreed with me that it was just bit to main(ish) roads that was difficult. Alright until you hit the brakes she said......
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 11 Dec 17 at 16:02
May have to hack out tomorrow. Run out of coffee. Seriously sorted a lift for leg three of the bus journey.
Been outside all day working, by the end of the day I was really feeling the cold. It was just above freezing going home. Tonight it's supposed to be down to -7c around here, glad I'm not on nights.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - cosec
4am start to drive to City airport tomorrow. Rather hoping I get an email saying the flight is cancelled.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - zippy
Drove 100 miles to North London today (near A1M & M25 junction). Lots of snow and slippery roads and I was unable to park in the client's car park as it hadn't been cleared.

Two people from the client turned up (from a staff of about 30).

What got me was that drivers were just not adapting to the situation, still doing 40MPH plus down 30MPH side roads, despite snow, ice and cars parked up haphazardly.

>> What got me was that drivers were just not adapting to the situation, still doing
>> 40MPH plus down 30MPH side roads, despite snow, ice and cars parked up haphazardly.
>>

I think us older generations learned the hard way that speed, slippery roads, and cross ply tyres are not a good mixture. So we have a healthy respect for slippery roads. The youngsters think they can defy the laws of physics and the electronics will save them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 11 Dec 17 at 21:05
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - zippy
>> I think us older generations

Oi! Less of the "older generation". I still think I'm 20. My body, on the other hand keeps reminding me that I'm over 50! :-)

>> youngsters think they can defy the laws of physics and the electronics will
>> save them.

Reminded me of Scotty from Star Trek: "Ye canna change the laws of physics!" he would exclaim when the Enterprise was supposedly traveling at several times the speed of light and accelerated in an instant without any noticeable g-force effects!!!
>> Oi! Less of the "older generation". I still think I'm 20. My body, on the
>> other hand keeps reminding me that I'm over 50! :-)
>>
>>

We are all teenagers at heart, you just shocked me into realising you are the same age as my kids! :-)

At least they learned on radial (summer) tyres.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 11 Dec 17 at 21:27
Bust trip went well. Tabbed down around a km to the main road and the bus stop. Prescribed time came and went no bus. Gave it up as a bad job. Crap service Arriva.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - VxFan
>> Bust trip went well.

Nice that you kept abreast of things.
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - smokie
I suppose it'd be politically incorrect to make a joke about feeling a tit so I won't...
Obviously an amateur bus user. :-)
Obviously an amateur bus user. :-)

Totally. No qualms in coughing that, in fact I don't remember that I travelled on a bus in anger. I was anxious about paying for a ticket, do they take cards, can I pay by phone, Do I need some sort seafood card (joking really)...the only angst was could I pay for a complete journey (as it seemed I had to change buses en-route)...in the event the BMW handled the frozen hill with aplomb. First gear and don't touch the brakes.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 12 Dec 17 at 21:01
>> >> Bust trip went well.
>>
>> Nice that you kept abreast of things.

Route 44D was it?
Our trip up the A1 & A1M and back via the M1 to stop off at M & S, Meadowhell was fine, as far as the road conditions were concerned, apart from persistent mucky spray.
There was some truly looney driving though, with lots of last minute lane dodging by cars and vans, plus some HCVs driving so close together that, and I mean this literally, our little Jazz could not have fitted between them.
Crackers.
>> our little Jazz could not have fitted between them. Crackers.
>>

There is method in their apparent madness. It keeps little cars out of the gap and as they can't be seen from the drivers seat when that close. It saves having to hose their contents off the front of the HGV.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 12 Dec 17 at 17:38
 Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Lygonos
also saves something like 20-25% fuel

Wish I had fitted winter tyres - Pat
You two have got it in two:)

Pat
at the expense of a few lorry drivers lives a year.
Lorry drivers are driving god's beyond your comprehension. :-)
You drive to the size and width of your vehicles knowing how well the brakes work.

So do lorry drivers .

Some times they get it wrong.

So do you.

Pat
Lighten up Pat, note the smiley. As a general rule professionals have better skills than amateurs in any field of expertise.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 12 Dec 17 at 19:06
>>Lighten up Pat, <<

Oh no, here we go again!

The reply was to Z's post.

That was me humorously having a dig at Z.......probably not funny but I bet he thought it was;)

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 12 Dec 17 at 19:12
Heaven forbid I interupt someone having a go a Zero. :-)
>> Heaven forbid I interupt someone having a go a Zero. :-)

Indeed you need all the help you can get.
Latest Forum Posts