Motoring Discussion > Tug-o-war on snow Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 11

Tug-o-war on snow - Lygonos
Tesla vs Land Cruiser

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcn01JPAnpo
 Tug-o-war on snow - Dog
Mister Nokian wins the day.
 Tug-o-war on snow - TheManWithNoName
Instant torque from the Tesla probably helped it get going first and so maintained traction and momentum. But if the Toyota stared first I wonder if the Tesla would have the power to overcome.
 Tug-o-war on snow - DP
Wonder what tyres each had fitted?
 Tug-o-war on snow - Hard Cheese
The info at 2:14 says it all, the Tesla weighs 400kg more than the Landcruiser and is on studded tyres where as the Landcruiser is on normal tyres.

I have driven a Fiat Ducato campervan fitted with studded tyres in Finland in temperatures down to -28 deg on snow and compacted ice, and they are great - until you run out of snow and ice ...
 Tug-o-war on snow - Mapmaker
Hard-packed snow at your -28 degrees is supposed to be grippier than tarmac - I once read. Is this true?
 Tug-o-war on snow - Hard Cheese
I've no idea though I doubt it. However the tracks that form in the snow across the frozen lakes form kind of walls along the edge so you feel that you don't have to steer and that the vehicle would follow the tracks like a slot car.
 Tug-o-war on snow - rtj70
So basically an unfair fight if the Tesla had studded tyres.

I think the Mercedes tug-of-war against the rugby team was more entertaining on Top Gear (I think). As soon as traction is lot it is game over.

Tug-o-war on snow - Manatee
If the tyres were the same for both, I'd expect the heavier car to win anyway - which it did.

Power is irrelevant if both have (and can transfer before stalling) sufficient power to spin the wheels

The Tesla's likely inability to stall might be an advantage.
 Tug-o-war on snow - rtj70
I still think the Tesla would win... but the test was compromised... It wasn't even winter vs. all year tyres... it was studded vs non studded. Not much snow/ice but they will have had more grip for sure.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 15 Dec 17 at 20:03
 Tug-o-war on snow - Cliff Pope
Perhaps a better test would be to have the rope slack initially?
More fun to watch anyway.
 Tug-o-war on snow - Lygonos
Ahh the old 'whose towbar is attached most securely' one....
Latest Forum Posts