Motoring Discussion > Would you pay? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 14

Would you pay? - TheManWithNoName
A colleague's daughter had to get two new tyres at her local fitter. She couldn't find her locking wheel nut socket so they used their own.
In the process, they broke theirs and are now charging her for the breakage!
 Would you pay? - Stuartli
Tell them a two word phrase with the second word beginning with "off".

What a cheek.
 Would you pay? - Zero
Cheek? no Assuming they did get the locking bolts off, and didn't damage them, then an additional charge is not unreasonable as its a customer induced problem incurring extra labour above the norm.

The correct process would have been to tell her to go away and come back when she has the key.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Dec 17 at 17:12
 Would you pay? - R.P.
What Zero said really.
 Would you pay? - Bromptonaut
>> Cheek? no Assuming they did get the locking bolts off, and didn't damage them, then
>> an additional charge is not unreasonable as its a customer induced problem incurring extra labour
>> above the norm.

I don't think there's too much of an issue over charging for extra time. But if their man breaks their tool in the process it's a bloomin cheek to charge the customer.
 Would you pay? - Manatee
If it saved a £30 set of nuts she might be no worse off than if they had just hammered an old socket on and wrecked them, which is what usually happens.
 Would you pay? - movilogo
If tradesmen broke their tools while working, they should claim it off their business insurance.
 Would you pay? - MD
A bit on the fence here. Charging it won’t advance their rating too much! But I see their point.
 Would you pay? - sooty123
I can see a charge for labour as they'd have to charge that. But not for the tool itself, that's down to the employee's error. I wouldn't pay for it.
 Would you pay? - Cliff Pope
Of course the customer isn't reponsible for the cost of a garage's replacement tools.
Supposing the lift had broken down - is the customer responsible for that - £1000?
 Would you pay? - Stuartli
>>But I see their point.>>

....and the point is?
 Would you pay? - No FM2R
If they'd said "we'll do it for £x", then fair enough.
If they'd said, "we'll do it but you're responsible for the damage" then fair enough.

Without something like that. I think a bit of serious life getting is called for. Cheeky b******s.
 Would you pay? - Robin O'Reliant
Who was it whose son got a bill from their driving instructor for a damaged tyre? I don't remember if we had an outcome.
 Would you pay? - zippy
Mine.

Didn't have to pay.

Driving instructor got leery about it and sent abusive texts and campus rozzers got involved.
 Would you pay? - Clk Sec
>>Would you pay?

Yes, sometime never...
Latest Forum Posts