Motoring Discussion > Roadworthy quiz Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 28

Roadworthy quiz - Crankcase
www.halfordsautocentres.com/advice/news/quiz-how-roadworthy-are-you#

I got a stunning 50% right. Unfortunately that means I also got a stunning 50% wrong, so it's back to roller skates for me.

Only ten questions if you want a bash.
 Roadworthy quiz - Robin O'Reliant
60%
 Roadworthy quiz - CGNorwich
100% for me.

Roadworthy quiz - No FM2R
So, apparently eating your food while driving is a legal activity.
its not illegal unless it amounts to careless driving. it would be absurd to say eating a boiled sweet was illegal but of course consuming a burger fries and a shake whilst attempting to drive may well be.

Driving with a hand held mobile phone is specifically illegal
 Roadworthy quiz - No FM2R
"New laws mean if you touch your phone in any way when the engine is on, you can be fined and run the risk of clocking up penalty points on your licence."

So if its in my pocket? Its touching me.

Roadworthy quiz - sooty123
I think handling or operating would be a better word.

7/10 for me.
 Roadworthy quiz - VxFan
>> 7/10 for me.

Likewise.
Poor use of words. Nothing to do with touching

RTA actually prohibits using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving so using a phone with your feet or other parts of your anatomy other than your hands would not I think break the specific law.

It might end you up contravening other laws
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 23 Dec 17 at 16:56
 Roadworthy quiz - Rudedog
I guess because you have to disclose your demographics at the start the results will be used in some future survey.

Anyhow, the phone law seems a bit odd considering I've read about new toll barriers accepting payment by smartphone or the use of a prepaid QR code, why would they introduce them if their use was effectively illegal?
 Roadworthy quiz - tyrednemotional
>> I guess because you have to disclose your demographics at the start the results will
>> be used in some future survey.

...in which case I'm going to be a drag on Scottish female new-driver's statistics......

;-)
 Roadworthy quiz - Zero
>> "New laws mean if you touch your phone in any way when the engine is
>> on, you can be fined and run the risk of clocking up penalty points on
>> your licence."

I got 90% because I supposedly got this wrong. I didn't because the claimed answer is wrong. If I touch my smartphone thats in its cradle while in a drive through, I can not be fined or get penalty points.
 Roadworthy quiz - Bromptonaut
5/10. Seemed unduly focussed on penalties rather than offences that lead to them.
>> 5/10. Seemed unduly focussed on penalties rather than offences that lead to them.
>>
That's what I thought.

If you know the difference between what you should do and what you shouldn't the penalty is irrelevant.
 Roadworthy quiz - Bromptonaut
Of the five I got wrong three were about penalties. No real excuse for getting the blood alcohol limit wrong although it's been breath for most people since mid eighties. Other was stopping distance in car lengths; I just think can I stop short of obstruction.
>> 5/10. Seemed unduly focussed on penalties rather than offences that lead to them.
>>

Excuses,excuses :-)
 Roadworthy quiz - Fullchat
That's rubbish.

The new law increased the penalties The use of the 'hand held device' was as it always was.
 Roadworthy quiz - Focal Point
"its not illegal unless it amounts to careless driving."

I thought (though I may be wrong) that eating while driving would not invoke "careless driving", but "Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle" (Code CU80). Interestingly, use of a mobile phone is a specific example of failure to control. One assumes similar penalties would be involved if someone was found not to be in control because they were eating.
 Roadworthy quiz - Dog
I'm the class dunce on this one ~ 4/10 but then I've always been above the law.
 Roadworthy quiz - zippy
>> I'm the class dunce on this one ~ 4/10 but then I've always been above
>> the law.
>>

That's just wuff!

(9/10)
 Roadworthy quiz - hawkeye
7/10

My front fog light warning light is green. the rear one is orange.

The two-way traffic sign should be described as 'two-way traffic crosses one-way road'

The "drive thru"; can't you faff with your phone if you're on private land?
>>
>>
>> The "drive thru"; can't you faff with your phone if you're on private land?
>>
Land to which the public has access is not classed as private.
 Roadworthy quiz - Fullchat
Regulation 110 (1) and (2) prohibits a person from driving, or causing or permitting a person to drive, a motor vehicle on a ROAD if the driver is using a held-hand mobile telephone or a hand-held device.

This does not refer to 'Public place'. So you could drive round a supermarket car park using your phone - in theory :) Depending on layout and whether parts of it could be construed as a 'Road'

But hey its Christmas and gets complicated. Seasons greetings.
 Roadworthy quiz - zippy
This fine periodical thinks otherwise:-)

www.thesun.co.uk/news/3323441/mcdonalds-burger-king-drive-thru-pay-phone-driving-law-fine/

Roadworthy quiz - Zero
Lots of those favoured press words when they wish to tell lies, - "coulds" and "mays" and even a "strict interpretation" thrown in.
 Roadworthy quiz - Mapmaker
From the Sun article above >>Since 2003 it has been illegal to touch a mobile phone – even with a hands free set – while driving.

Really?
 Roadworthy quiz - stan10
7/10

Scooted through it as fast as i could, alco limit wrong, realised as i pressed the button - claim 8/10 ref !!!

.. and if the good people at Halfords really believe that i am a 17 year old male from the Outer Hebrides with 20 years driving experience it's no wonder that they try and convince me that i need new shock absorbers and a full exhaust system !

.." So, apparently eating your food while driving is a legal activity. .."
If i was the bloke who (was it a bloke ?) was done for eating a Crunchie at the wheel read this i would be straight on the phone to my solicitor !
 Roadworthy quiz - Ambo
50%. I tried a second time, selecting the middle answer in each case. This was the way a researcher filled out a Scientology questionnaire; he got a very high score, which he took to mean the test was rubbish. It gave 20% in the present case so does that demonstrate that the test may be valid?
 Roadworthy quiz - MD
70%
Latest Forum Posts