Motoring Discussion > Pay-per-mile RFL Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 13

Pay-per-mile RFL - bathtub tom
I'd be interested in Pat's opinion and anyone else associated with road haulage on this.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - Robin O'Reliant
As a non haulier I understand it's intention is to level the playing field between British truckers and their foreign counterparts who come over here with a full tank of cheap diesel to the detriment of our own drivers.

My bet is that it will be seen as a cash cow and everyone will end up paying a lot more than they do now. And the beauty of such a scheme is those millions of pesky voters who drive diesel cars won't be affected or give a fig in the voting booth.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 23 Dec 17 at 19:50
 Pay-per-mile RFL - madf
"My bet is that it will be seen as a cash cow and everyone will end up paying a lot more than they do now. And the beauty of such a scheme is those millions of pesky voters who drive diesel cars won't be affected or give a fig in the voting booth."

Apart from food prices, parts prices,everything transported by road..
 Pay-per-mile RFL - Hard Cheese
It makes sense for all of us.

I have long thought that it's ridiculous that the owner of a Z4 or similar who only does a couple of thousand miles a year pays higher RFL than, say a 116d driver who does 40,000 miles a year.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - Falkirk Bairn
Put the RFL equivalent money on Petrol & diesel - the more you burn, the more you pay.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - rtj70
>> Put the RFL equivalent money on Petrol & diesel - the more you burn, the more you pay.

The foreign road hauliers won't pay a penny then and it's said to be partly about that. They come over with full tanks, deliver and then go back.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - sooty123
I don't think it's all about foreign truckers, they don't do that much % on the UK roads.

This had been knocked about for years, I'm not sure it'll ever come to fruition, I think it'll always be in the too difficult pile.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - smokie
"Apart from food prices, parts prices,everything transported by road"

...which always seem to me to track fuel prices upwards but rarely downwards.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - Boxsterboy
Whatever today's politicians say, you can bet as sure as night follows day that this HGV only scheme will eventually spread to all roads users. Thereby ensuring that the income from fuel sales does not disappear as electric vehicles increase in number.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - No FM2R
Obviously.

It's that or start deciding what you'd like to manage without.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - CGNorwich
It will of course finally provide a tool to manage road usage and allow the implementation of a sensible transport policy.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - Zero
>> It will of course finally provide a tool to manage road usage and allow the
>> implementation of a sensible transport policy.

Scallops

How long have you been a resident of this small island?

Its a tool to raise revenue, nothing sensible will emerge from it, transport policy or otherwise.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - Old Navy
Also there will have to be a vehicle licencing system so that camera generated penalties can be delivered to the drivers within the system, and to maintain the jobs at DVLA. That rules out transfering the RFL to fuel.
 Pay-per-mile RFL - CGNorwich
Longer than you!

I didn't say it will be used sensibly, I said it will provide a tool to manage road usage. Whether it will be utilised in a sensible way is another question.

There are two major areas in the UK economy where the provision of services without limitation on demand has inevitably led to chaos. One is the provision of health care, the second is roads. Road usage charging is the obvious and ultimately the only solution for the latter.
Latest Forum Posts