Motoring Discussion > SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 7

SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - wotspur
My 09 Alhambra. Currently has 215/60V/R16 99V on the front and 99H on the back, it came like that when I bought it last year
I live in Surrey so we don’t get masses of snow, but I do about 30k a year and I carry quite a bit of weight in the back
I’ve no idea what the difference is between H and V ? , is it,good to keep them thus , or if I’m having to change all 4 to get it through it’s MOT, ( 1 is a failure and other 3 close to its limit), is it better to have all of one letter, If somwhich
I’ve often gone for Michelin , but happy to think about recommendations.
Normally I look around online,then go to my local garage and ask what they want, then when they’re more expensive, ask them to match or better it
 SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - bathtub tom
They're speed ratings: www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#speed
V - 150MPH
H - 130MPH

Do you have the handbook, if so that'll probably tell you the original fitment?
 SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - Old Navy
Be wary of straying from the original spec tyres, an insurance assessor will check them if an accident repair is required.
 SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - Bromptonaut
OK to go above original speed rating spec but not below it. Same with load.

Pricing doesn't always increase with rating. I've got high load rating BF Goodrichs for the Berlingo cheaper than the lower rating per the handbook.

SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - Bill Payer
>> OK to go above original speed rating spec but not below it. Same with load.
>>
Apparently insurance companies don't care about the speed rating - had it myself on a company car where lease company ordered tyre fitters to put lower speed rating tyres on. I called our insurance company and they said you can't go above 70 anyway! I've seen similar stories a few times.

Load rating is important though.
 SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - Zero
As you really should be changing all 4 based on what you said, it makes sense to get all 4 the same. H or V? with your car that purely needs to be a price and availability choice.

I have a strange aversion to having different tyres front or back, even to keeping the same make and tread pattern. Its a phobia thats mostly kept me on the black top so far, so I'll stick with it.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Dec 17 at 12:16
 SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - Boxsterboy
99 is the load rating by the way. I would stick with what the sticker in the door shut (or fuel flap or wherever) says.
 SEAT Alhambra - Car tyres - Bromptonaut
Pretty well always change both sides at same time. Only time I didn't was an irreparable puncture in nearly new tyre. Less bothered front/rear particularly as Berlingo, unusually for FWD, eats rears about 20% faster than fronts.
Latest Forum Posts