Motoring Discussion > True Grit? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 14

True Grit? - Manatee
Well it isn't of course - it's halite, rock salt. I hate the stuff. In my mind's eye I can see it eating away at the ferrous bits of the car underside.

Is it a necessary evil? Or at least the most cost effective way of keeping the country more or less mobile in freezing conditions?

We have to put up with it. But why were "gritters" out on the A413 Buckingham-Aylesbury road this afternoon when the forecast was for rain this evening and a minimum overnight temperature of 3 degrees C?
 True Grit? - Bromptonaut
>> But why were "gritters" out on the A413
>> Buckingham-Aylesbury road this afternoon when the forecast was for rain this evening and a minimum
>> overnight temperature of 3 degrees C?

The forecast is reporting predicted air temperature, air frost and ground frost are not sane thing. Both our cars alert for ice at air temperatures below 4 degrees C.

Forecast could be optimistic and of course takes no account of local frost pockets. Not uncommon for my car to be ice free at home but, if caught out, to get an ABS activation for ice a quarter mile away by the canal.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 29 Dec 17 at 22:46
 True Grit? - Old Navy
>> if caught out, to get an ABS activation for ice a quarter mile away by the canal.
>>

Good luck if you rely on ABS to keep yourself out of the canal! :-)

Maybe stick to the bike?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 30 Dec 17 at 10:08
 True Grit? - Duncan
Where's Old Navy?

This is (I think) his last post. Long holiday?

I miss his Englishman, turned Jock, grumpiness.
 True Grit? - Zero
>> Where's Old Navy?

Sulking, waiting for someone to say they miss him

>> I miss his Englishman, turned Jock, grumpiness.

And someone fell for it
 True Grit? - rtj70
Unfortunately he might just be unwell. Or even dead. I don't do Facebook or Twitter so no idea if he is still posting elsewhere.

Maybe his ABS failed him.

Hopefully he is just fed up of this place :-) Maybe AC can let us know.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 25 Jan 18 at 23:29
 True Grit? - rtj70
And I don't think ON is so old. So hopefully he's just sunning himself in warmer climates using his generous pension.
 True Grit? - Pat
New Years Resolution probably?

Pat
 True Grit? - bathtub tom
>> Well it isn't of course - it's halite, rock salt.

Don't forget the molasses they add to it, so it's extra sticky and adheres to everything.
 True Grit? - devonite
I was down the estuary this morning with the dogs, the tide was out, but the entire surface of the sand was covered in a thin layer of what I can only describe as grease! (it was impossible to walk on, I was like Bambi on ice). There is a "state of the art" brand-new sewage treatment plant about a mile up, that empties into the estuary, (the out-fall is "claimed" to be almost drinkable quality!), but I think the grease comes from there! too much Turkey and roast pork fat in the waste that it hasn't handled! - our Council need to run their gritters down there! - the roads are ok!
 True Grit? - CGNorwich
Modern cars don't rust within their nomal working live of ten to twelve years so it's not a thing that worries me.
 True Grit? - Manatee
>> Modern cars don't rust within their nomal working live of ten to twelve years so
>> it's not a thing that worries me.

You clearly haven't an MX-5:) Not that I take mine out when there is any salt down.
 True Grit? - CGNorwich
The chances are I will have rotted long before my car.
 True Grit? - tyrednemotional
>> The chances are I will have rotted long before my car.
>>

....cut down on your salt intake, then.....
 True Grit? - Manatee
>> The chances are I will have rotted long before my car.

Me too, but until we die we are immortal!
Latest Forum Posts