Motoring Discussion > A bridge over the channel ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 67

A bridge over the channel ... - Hard Cheese
Apparently suggested by Boris, is it such a daft idea?

After all Macron and May are getting on well, she is a little older ;-)
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 19 Jan 18 at 00:17
 A bridge over the channel ... - rtj70
Bonkers idea. It is a very busy shipping channel. A bridge would need to allow some very large vessels to pass under it. It would need artificial islands to support sections of a suspension bridge.

But Boris is bonkers and not as smart as people assumed he was before the BREXIT referendum to be honest.

If it was a feasible idea, why did we built the channel tunnel with the French? ;-)

And isn't Theresa May a bit young for Macron?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Jan 18 at 01:19
 A bridge over the channel ... - Auntie Lockbrakes
Not bonkers at all!

Denmark (& Sweden) have undertaken and completed 2 similar bridges over the past 20 years (Storebaelt and Oresund), and I think there is currently one underway between Denmark & Germany too? They have much rougher weather than the channel does. And cross-channel traffic volumes must be much higher. Charge 30 quid each way for cars and leave Eurotunnel for rail freight.

No more Operation Stack in Kent several times each year when the ferries don't run or go on strike...

Get the French engineers who built the Millau viaduct to do the job :-)

>> They have much rougher weather than the channel does.
>>

I'm not sure about that though otherwise I'm with you.

>>
>> Get the French engineers who built the Millau viaduct to do the job :-)
>>

Of course the Millau Viaduct was designed by Sir Norman Foster ... a brit!
 A bridge over the channel ... - Auntie Lockbrakes
- Designed by Sir Norman, but built by a French crew!

The French are good at "grands projets" like this, and they'd probably wangle huge taxpayer subsidies and EU contributions to employ workers in a poor region of northern France. What's not to like?!

And I bet the SANEF highways company could run it at a profit (for themselves).

Ah Yes, but the ferry workers would riot and block the access roads etc immediately....!
 A bridge over the channel ... - tyrednemotional
>> Denmark (& Sweden) have undertaken and completed 2 similar bridges over the past 20 years
>> (Storebaelt and Oresund), and I think there is currently one underway between Denmark & >>Germany

...tunnel proposed for that, (replacing the Puttgarden - Rødby ferry) I think, though there will be a new expensive mixed-mode bridge built to replace the smaller/older bridge onto Falster wholly within Denmark.
 A bridge over the channel ... - Zero
>> Not bonkers at all!
>>
>> Denmark (& Sweden) have undertaken and completed 2 similar bridges over the past 20 years
>> (Storebaelt and Oresund), and I think there is currently one underway between Denmark & Germany
>> too? They have much rougher weather than the channel does. And cross-channel traffic volumes must
>> be much higher.

The problem is not the civil engineering technology, its the quantity of shipping int he channel, the busiest shipping lane in the world. They cant even stop bumping into each other now, let alone with a bridge in the way. There is general agreement that a Channel Bridge, and Autonomous (or remote) Shipping control need to go hand in hand.

Boris the blustering bumbling buffoon is obsessed with building things in the sea. No shred of any credibility should ever be attached to anything that emerges from his dribbling droopy jowls.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Jan 18 at 09:31
 A bridge over the channel ... - CGNorwich
I see Farage has rejected the idea. He favours a big, beautiful wall down the middle of the Channel. The French to pay of course.
 A bridge over the channel ... - zippy
>>No shred of any credibility should ever be attached to anything that emerges from his dribbling droopy jowls.

Comment of the day, nay the week!
 A bridge over the channel ... - R.P.
Get the French engineers who built the Millau viaduct to do the job :-)

British Architect.
 A bridge over the channel ... - bathtub tom
I'm not into civil engineering, but I assume there's not much rock under the channel to support a bridge otherwise tunnelling under it would have been much more difficult.
Tis rock though relatively soft rock, tis mainly chalk, not a great surprise perhaps if you consider the proximity of the white cliffs.

>> British Architect.
>>

Sir Norman Foster as per above.

Reckon the best way would be as per the tunnel, for both sides to start buliding and meet in the middle ...
 A bridge over the channel ... - Ambo
Technically feasible, it seems, but it would be necessary to cost in another Calais-style set of immigration measures.
Why do we need another link? As far as I am aware neither the Channel Tunnel nor the ferries operate at anything like capacity.

What is needed is another Thames crossing. Dartford northbound can no longer cope.
 A bridge over the channel ... - Roger.
Harumph! The chunnel was a step too far. ;-)
Farage was interviewed on Radio 2 earlier about it. He's against it.
 A bridge over the channel ... - No FM2R
>>Farage was interviewed on Radio 2 earlier about it. He's against it.

Awww damn, now I'm going to have to try to find out why its really a good idea.
:-).
 A bridge over the channel ... - Manatee
Roger, you are probably still annoyed that the headline "FOG IN CHANNEL - CONTINENT CUT OFF" became permanently redundant in 1994;)

I think being able to drive back and forth would make a useful difference, particularly if both countries were in Schengen area, or indeed in a USE. What's Boris's game?
 A bridge over the channel ... - Dog
>>What is needed is another Thames crossing. Dartford northbound can no longer cope.

And howls about another Tamar crossing. The existing bridge can get a tad busy for 6 weeks in any one year.
 A bridge over the channel ... - Duncan
>> Bonkers idea. It is a very busy shipping channel. A bridge would need to allow
>> some very large vessels to pass under it. It would need artificial islands to support
>> sections of a suspension bridge.

Boris also wants Heathrow to move to an island in the Thames Estuary. Remember that?
 A bridge over the channel ... - Dulwich Estate II
When it's built I propose that vehicles drive on the left on Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays otherwise on the right - except on St Georges Day when the left will be mandatory as will be driving on the right on 14th July.

Likewise, appropriate traffic laws will apply on the relevant left/right side days.

Unfortunately the bridge will completely closed for lunch between 12.00 and 14.00 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

A spiral slip road will of course lead down to a service station in the mid-point at sea level which could also assist shipping by providing a sail through McDonalds. It could be a Flunch restaurant instead to keep the French happy I suppose?
 A bridge over the channel ... - Robin O'Reliant
It would be a very easy target for terrorists.
>> It would be a very easy target for terrorists.

True, but the easy targets for terrorists are beyond counting.
>> It would be a very easy target for terrorists.

Is there such a thing as a difficult one?
 A bridge over the channel ... - sooty123
>> Is there such a thing as a difficult one?
>>

I would think so yes.
>>I would think so yes.

I think there used to be, because the terrorists used to want to survive and get away afterwards. Now they have no desire to do either I think its verging on the impossible to stop them.

Hence the importance of intelligence activities and getting to them before they attack.
> I think there used to be, because the terrorists used to want to survive and
>> get away afterwards. Now they have no desire to do either I think its verging
>> on the impossible to stop them.

It's difficult for certain types of attacks and because of their MO but that's not to say there aren't any difficult targets.
>> Hence the importance of intelligence activities and getting to them before they attack.
>>

It would be relatively easy to ram a boat into a bridge support in the channel. Far easier than getting a bomb past the security checks and into the tunnel.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 17:46
>>Far easier than getting a bomb past the security checks and into the tunnel.

Well, its not really important, but I don't think so. Just the logistics alone.

But, I can't see its worth a discussion about relative difficulty really.
Just wait until they get hold of one of these en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNG_carrier, sail it in to a major port and explode it.

It would be like a mall nuke going off.
Are mall nukes specifically designed for shopping centres?
>> Just wait until they get hold of one of these en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNG_carrier, sail it in to
>> a major port and explode it.

Pretty unlikely they'd get one I'd think. I know ships have been hijacked but I'm not away of ramming or blowing a ship up as a terrorist weapon.
>> Pretty unlikely they'd get one I'd think. I know ships have been hijacked but I'm
>> not away of ramming or blowing a ship up as a terrorist weapon.

Not so far, but a bridge across the channel would be a major prize for any terrorist group. And a small boat packed with explosives would be all they'd need to bring a section down.
Not so far, but a bridge across the channel would be a major prize for
>> any terrorist group. And a small boat packed with explosives would be all they'd need
>> to bring a section down.
>>

There's plenty of ports and a few bridges about now, none have been attacked. However I don't think we'll see a channel bridge anytime soon.

>> Not so far, but a bridge across the channel would be a major prize for
>> any terrorist group. And a small boat packed with explosives would be all they'd need
>> to bring a section down.

Nah the effect for the required effort would be miniscule. Its much easier to explode a bomb in the Chunnel, and the carnage would be huge.
 A bridge over the channel ... - rtj70
I am pretty sure bringing down an aircraft about to land at an airport is too easy, You can get so close on the perimeter.

We often walk near Manchester airport and often think someone could do something. I then forget about that as we fly out of there often.
We often walk near Manchester airport and often think someone could do something. I then
>> forget about that as we fly out of there often.
>>

its harder than you'd think, it'd be much easier while they're parked up.
Especially with the this in the mix

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery
>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

That's a few miles from the Channel. Most of Kent is between it and the "proposed" bridge.
A juicy terrorist target though
For seeing what effect a munition ship blowing up can have take a look at the Halifax Nova Scotia explosion.. The largest man made explosion prior to the invention of nuclear weapons but now little known about outside Canada.

www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/halifax-explosion/
 A bridge over the channel ... - Ted
Teddywrists made a reasonable job with a small boat ramming and blowing a hole in the USS Cole with quite a few dead matelots.

I'm surprised they haven't had a go at blowing a rail out just before a Pendolino arrives on a high level bridge over one of our rivers or canals at speed. Perhaps I shouldn't give them ideas.
Probably because by and large these aren't the brightest people.

Fortunately.

>> I'm surprised they haven't had a go at blowing a rail out just before a
>> Pendolino arrives on a high level bridge over one of our rivers or canals at
>> speed. Perhaps I shouldn't give them ideas.

Network Rail, and their predecessor Railtrack do a perfectly good job of that and don't need any help from amateur terrorists
>> Especially with the this in the mix
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Your Geography need s a refresh, its a long way from any proposed Bridge.

It was very near the proposed Boris Island airport tho, didn't seem to bother him.

>>What's Boris's game?

Boris clearly wasn't allowed to play with his Meccano set when he was a kid and now he's inflicting that deficiency on all of us.

The truth is probably more simple. He is just jealous the Mrs May got most of the headlines yesterday and wanted to stick is oar in.

A bridge would be a fantastic idea. Weather would be a problem though with channel storms probably closing it quite often.

I understand China are building a large bridge between Hong Kong and Macau that will be 31 miles long.

We have more pressing infrastructure needs in this country though like rail tunnels that can take more than one train at a time and a bypass for the Dartford crossing.

Some more high speed rail links would also be a good idea.
>>bypass for the Dartford crossing.

You mean another bridge/tunnel?
>> >>bypass for the Dartford crossing.
>>
>> You mean another bridge/tunnel?
>>

No, via France ...
>> You mean another bridge/tunnel?

Yes. I think they are planning one around Gravesend.
 A bridge over the channel ... - tyrednemotional
www.rotherhambugle.com/2018/01/19/trump-pledges-beautiful-bridge-linking-us-mainland-canada/
 A bridge over the channel ... - madf
Let's see: permanent empty lane required for emergency vehicles and tow trucks to remove broken down/out of fuel vehicles.

Large parking places required at various places to enable stationing of emergency vehicles to allow fast access and place of safety for drivers if bridge becomes blocked due to accident - ship. multiple collision in fog, terrorism, fire etc.

What happens in huge gales? Close the bridge?

etc etc..

There is a reason why the Tunnel is trains only. Several...

>> There is a reason why the Tunnel is trains only. Several...

Only one actually.

Money.
 A bridge over the channel ... - Bromptonaut
>> Only one actually.
>>
>> Money.

I believe Mrs T wanted a drive through tunnel. Engineering advice was that the challenge of ventilating it, as well as dealing with even minor accidents never mind a major fire as in Mont Blanc was too much.

Do they even allow diesel locomotives, other than in emergency, in the current tunnel?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 10:27
 A bridge over the channel ... - legacylad
Im not surprised Mrs T wanted a drive through tunnel

Mr T had a fear of flying, although he followed Hannibal most places
>> I believe Mrs T wanted a drive through tunnel. Engineering advice was that the challenge
>> of ventilating it, as well as dealing with even minor accidents never mind a major
>> fire as in Mont Blanc was too much.

Money, it can be achieved through throwing money at it.
It would be a huge project though - say three lanes each way a couple of service and safety tunnels, mid channel ventilation shafts. As a project it would be doomed to failure. Simply unaffordable and no real dmand for it.
>> It would be a huge project though - say three lanes each way a couple
>> of service and safety tunnels, mid channel ventilation shafts. As a project it would be
>> doomed to failure. Simply unaffordable and no real dmand for it.

Dont forget the man made islands. for the two or four, possibly 6 main towers to carry the road high enough to clear shipping, cantilever or suspension bridges.

Tunnels sound complex, but they are a piece of cake in comparison.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 11:59
 The Truth About The Bridge - zippy
pbs.twimg.com/media/DT7GI7sUMAAcxaA.jpg
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 12:42
 The Truth About The Bridge - The Melting Snowman
>> pbs.twimg.com/media/DT7GI7sUMAAcxaA.jpg
>>

God help us.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 18:54
 The Truth About The Bridge - PR
Before the tunnel was built a bridge was one of the ideas put forward.

I seem to remember also a bridge tunnel combination where the centre section was a bridge with ramps down to tunnels at either end.

www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/apr/02/transport.world

Bit cheaper than Eurotunnel!
 The Truth About The Bridge - Mapmaker
>> Before the tunnel was built a bridge was one of the ideas put forward.

I read this entire thread and only when I reach the final post has somebody already posted. I too recall reading an article, probably in the Sunday Times magazine, when the Chunnel was first proposed, that included a bridge.
 The Truth About The Bridge - PR
Also for reference, the "Boris Island" airport was not in fact Boris's idea either. An architect firm devised it as a concept which Boris liked the idea of and then championed.
 The Truth About The Bridge - Zero
The architects firm touted it around until they found a sympathetic ear, which Boris then "championed" to death even when it was clearly a non starter. He then went on to the "garden bridge"

Because it wasn't his idea, doesn't make him less of a fool. More so in fact.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Jan 18 at 10:49
 The Truth About The Bridge - Bromptonaut
>> Also for reference, the "Boris Island" airport was not in fact Boris's idea either. An
>> architect firm devised it as a concept which Boris liked the idea of and then
>> championed.

The basic idea of an esturial airport was first floated during the war.

The currentr concept goes back to the seventies when a new airport was proposed in the Maplin/Foulness area. A public inquiry under Lord Roskill reporting c1972 had favoured a greenfield site at Wing/Cublington on the Beds/Bucks border. The Heath government, after a massive local campaign in an area with a vocal middle class electorate and with seats at threat, chose Maplin/Foulness instead.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Estuary_Airport

The project, along with a proposed Channel Tunnel, was cancelled by the incoming Labour government in 1974 in cull of so called 'white elephant' projects it inherited.

Eventually, after another 10+ years had elapsed the government agreed development of Stansted which was the preferred option pre Roskill.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 22 Jan 18 at 11:02
>> >> Before the tunnel was built a bridge was one of the ideas put forward.
>>
>>
>> I read this entire thread and only when I reach the final post has somebody
>> already posted. I too recall reading an article, probably in the Sunday Times magazine, when
>> the Chunnel was first proposed, that included a bridge.

We were discussing a bridge, not a crossing.
As far as Airports go, and with the benefit of some kind of integrated transport brain switch on. Manston would have been the way to go, with the HS rail loop linking Eurostar chunnel and london, a link motorway to the M2, and a dedicated rail link to Gatwick and Heathrow.

At the very least, while the M25 was being built it should have included a Gatwick / Heathrow rail link.
Latest Forum Posts