Motoring Discussion > Tyres Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 43

Tyres - zippy
The two front tyres are down to 2.5mm after 20,000 miles in a year so I am starting to look for replacements.

The lease co insists on the same spec tyres, which according to the rating are C for fuel, A for wet braking and 72bd for sound.

The also have extra thick side walls to protect the alloys.

No problem with that, but the usual cheap sources (Black Circles and Costco) and everyone else seem quite expensive. I've not brought tyres for my car in decades and the Mrs have never been that expensive to bother with much shopping around.

The prices I am getting vary from about £175 to £200 including fitting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fitters?

Ideally Continental Sport Contact 5 - 245/45 R19 FR W

Thanks
 Tyres - Lygonos
Lease company can whistle.

Personally I'd replace with Kumho Ecsta PS71 for £130 each fitted from blackcircles.com

Tyres fit the manufacturer spec, as do the Ecsta Ps91 for a tenner less but they aren't as good.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 23:39
 Tyres - zippy
>>Kumho Ecsta PS71

That's quite a saving!

They are B rated for wet stopping. Wouldn't want to risk the insurance not paying out as the standard fitted ones are "A".
 Tyres - Hard Cheese

>> They are B rated for wet stopping. Wouldn't want to risk the insurance not paying
>> out as the standard fitted ones are "A".
>>

That's not an issue, it's the size, load rating and speed rating the ins would look at.

Though I would pay extra for the Continentals I reckon.

What car is it?
 Tyres - zippy
Hyundai Tuscon 1.7D DCT (dual clutch auto).
 Tyres - Hard Cheese
Hancook Ventus, C fuel efficiency, A wet braking, 72db, £129.98 fitted by Black Circles.
 Tyres - zippy
>> Hancook Ventus, C fuel efficiency, A wet braking, 72db, £129.98 fitted by Black Circles.
>>

Showing £191 fitted for me!? :-(
 Tyres - Hard Cheese
www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/hankook/ventus-v12-evo-2-k120/245/45/R18/Y/100/m?tyre

Seems to be £131 now.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sun 21 Jan 18 at 01:17
 Tyres - zippy
Ah, I see. These are R18. The car has 19 inch wheels (I never get such big wheels again).
 Tyres - tyrednemotional
tinyurl.com/uniroyals ?

Price, plus £7.90 delivery (for the two) plus say £10 each for fitting locally puts them at about £115 each.
 Tyres - Lygonos
Running Rainsports on the FRV - superb wet grip (funnily enough), but wearing a bit faster than the Michelin winters before them (reckon they'll do about 22k miles vs 30k on the front)
 Tyres - Hard Cheese
Apologies, I Googled 19" and copied the Google result ...
 Tyres - Fullchat
I am toying with the idea of chopping in the Sportage for a slightly used facelift model. I see it has the 19" rims. Doing the homework 19" tyres seem to be a good deal more expensive than their 18" counterparts.
 Tyres - Shiny
EU tyre labels are ratings, not specifications.
 Tyres - Manatee
Yes it's odd, the tyre size v price thing - it can't be basic manufacturing cost differences
- MX-5 has 195/50/R16 which seem to be about double the price of the 195/50/R15 that were on the old one.

Perhaps as volume shifts from size A to size B, the excess capacity/competition for size A sales leads to falling prices, and the prices for size B remain high until capacity has built up and or demand eases off.

Tyres - MD
19” tyres are nearly 11 1/2 per cent larger than 18” viewed side on.
 Tyres - Manatee
That didn't sound right, had to work it out. You must mean the wheel.

The 19" wheel (no tyre) side on has an area 11.4% bigger than the 18".

Tyre diameters are 27.68", 26.68"

Again side on (square inches)

Total wheel and tyre area is 601.76, 559.06 (+7.6%) - this is probably the main visual effect

Wheel area is 283.53, 254.47 (+11.4%)

Tyre area (difference) is 318.23, 304.60 (+4.5%)
 Tyres - MD
You are of course correct. It was a late night last night 😊
 Tyres - Boxsterboy
>> These are R18. The car has 19 inch wheels (I never get
>> such big wheels again).
>>

That's what the man in the hat always says...
 Tyres - zippy
Car went in for a service today.

Tyres were better than my measurements but by only 0.5mm (3mm on the centre and 4mm on the two outer areas).

They kindly gave me a quote for new tyres. Unspecified make. The service manager said they can do a really good price for tyres if recommended.

Hyundai Tucson 1.7 Diesel DCT.

Two tyres front tyres recommended.

Bearing in mind the above prices anyone want to guess as to the price?

Tyres are 245/45 19 inch wheels W rated.

Tyres - Lygonos
No doubt you can get Wanli or similar rubbish for 80 quid a pop.

Tyres - madf
£250 each. Lifetime mortgages offered.
 Tyres - Hard Cheese
Pop being the operative word ...
 Tyres - R.P.
£225.
 Tyres - VxFan
>> Two tyres front tyres recommended.

Why?

At 3mm (4mm on the outer edges), they've still got plenty of meat left on them.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Jan 18 at 10:09
 Tyres - zippy
>> >> Two tyres front tyres recommended.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> At 3mm (4mm on the outer edges), they've still got plenty of meat left on
>> them.
>>

Seeing that they start of at 8.5mm then 4mm is about 35% left after the legal minimum of 1.6mm is removed. Seeing that they did 20,000 miles on the previous 4.5mm I would expect a few more miles on the remaining 4mm.

No one is close on the prices yet.
 Tyres - Boxsterboy
A decent tyre (Michelin, Conti, etc.) 'should' be about £170 each, but I'm guessing they quoted you more like £225?

I don't replace my tyres until they are at the legal limit, despite service managers' 'recommendations' (i.e. attempt to earn commission) to replace them once they are down to 3mm.
 Tyres - Bromptonaut
>> I don't replace my tyres until they are at the legal limit, despite service managers'
>> 'recommendations' (i.e. attempt to earn commission) to replace them once they are down to 3mm.

Horses/courses, I replace mine at 3. Don't like them scrabbling on a damp hill start never mind the nightmare of aquaplaning on a motorway with significant standing water.
 Tyres - madf

>>
>> Horses/courses, I replace mine at 3. Don't like them scrabbling on a damp hill start
>> never mind the nightmare of aquaplaning on a motorway with significant standing water.
>>

Ditto but round here it's the effect of mud/leaves/horse and cow excrement on wet road grip.. And snow which can happen anytime December to May...
 Tyres - tyrednemotional
>>>... but round here it's the effect of mud/leaves/horse and cow excrement......
>>

...generally known as "brown ice"....
 Tyres - rtj70
£165 each plus fitting?
 Tyres - zippy
Right, time to reveal the price...

Are you sitting down...

Remember, the dealer's service manager said they would be a good price!

£307.71 EACH!

That's £615.42 in total!!!!!!

I certainly won't be getting my brakes done by them!
 Tyres - Hard Cheese
>>
>> £307.71 EACH!
>>
>> That's £615.42 in total!!!!!!
>>

That's ridiculous! I once paid £400 ish four a pair of 245/35-18 Bridgestone run flat rear tyres for my 123d though they are cheaper now days.

There's a thought, could they have quoted for run flat tyres?

>>
>> I certainly won't be getting my brakes done by them!
>>

Dealers have never been great for tyres, though BMW are currently promoting their dealer tyre services as matching the high street guys, however that does not mean that they will rip you off for brakes. I'd get a quote at least, and I'd use the main dealer on a car under four or five years old with FSH even if it cost a few quid more and they will have access to tech updates etc.
 Tyres - zippy
>> I'd use the main dealer on a car under four or five years old with FSH even if it cost a few
>>quid more and they will have access to tech updates etc.

First 3 services - 20k, 40k and 60k are £599 for all three i.e. £200 each which isn't too bad.

>>Runflats

Nope. Same as the car comes with.
 Tyres - rtj70
My guess was based on the price for that size tyre (Goodyear I think) from Blackcircles.
 Tyres - Robin O'Reliant
I feel quite bad now.

My last two new tyres were £40 each.
 Tyres - zippy
Oh har, de har, har!

:-D
 Tyres - Auntie Lockbrakes
Price varies enormously by brand though doesn't it? And there seems to be a zillion more brands out there than there was 25 years ago...

SWMBO's Outlander left the showroom on Toyos which haven't impressed me much. Just replaced them with Maxxis, and they feel good to me...
 Tyres - Manatee
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Toyo R37 on my Outlander. Much better in the bit of snow we've had than the Continentals that came on the last one, and wearing better too.
 Tyres - nice but dim
55,000 miles and counting (fitted Sept 2015) on the Kuhmo Ecowing tyres on my 07 Corolla diesel. Not quite at the central wear bar yet around 2mm left in total though the shoulders are looking a bit shiny.

Admittedly that was with a front to back (back to front) swap to equalize wear, in the process of ordering another same set which last cost £220 inc fitting and balancing, looks to be around £250 this time. 15" castors you see! Should see out the car.

I can only attribute the longevity to a 70% motorway usage pattern.

They feel fine, feel stable and keep 115bhp of TD grunt without slipping wheels.
 Tyres - madf
>> I can only attribute the longevity to a 70% motorway usage pattern.
30k so far on Michelin Energy on Jazz. 90% non motorway driving.
With 6mm left on rears and 5.5mm on fronts, I reckon I'll see 60k miles in total before they reduce to 3mm - at which level I'll replace them... (Swapped front to back at 25k miles)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Jan 18 at 12:56
 Tyres - wotspur
Me too, had the MoT and was advised to get just the 4 tyres
215/60/R16 on the front I have H and on the back V
I carry heavy loads , and drive 30k a year, someone recommended Hankok or Avon , but I’ve normally bought Michelin .
I’ve used KF cause there in the village , but heard good things about Halfords too, but will look at others if it saves a few schekles , any advice gladly taken
 Tyres - wotspur
Looking at Michelin 215/60r16V crossclimate XL
4 tyres at Tryeshopper and front wheel alignment 501.96+29, whereas with black circle 543.36+37.80
 Tyres - PeterS
And yet the 225/45/17 Michelin CrossClimates I had fitted to the BMW in December were ‘just’ £109 each from Blackcircles (£6 extra for mobile fitting) so a set for £436. Tyre pricing is a mystery!
Latest Forum Posts