Motoring Discussion > Car Transporter - what happened?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Car Transporter - what happened?? - Bobby
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42761139

You need to scroll down to see what appears to be a jack knifed transporter.

Any guesses what happened? It looks to me that some of the cars are damaged, some even look as if it could be fire, the actual frame of the transporter looks like it is blackened?

We used to have a contributor that drove transporters didn't we?
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - Ted

Gordon Bennett, I think. Long gone from here, sadly.
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - Hard Cheese

Must have been mid '90s - I came upon the aftermath of a car transporter losing it on the M40, north bound on the sharpish left hand bend just north of J8A.

The driver must have lost control on the bend and he ended up off the road on left hand side with half a dozen or so brand new Audis ejected into the adjacent field.
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - Zero
I remember a load of Jags falling off a transporter on the oxford ring road.
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - Bromptonaut
>>
>> Gordon Bennett, I think. Long gone from here, sadly.

Still a regular contributor on HJ.
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - commerdriver
>> It looks to me that some of the cars are damaged, some even look as if it could be fire
>>
Does look like fire, I guess after the jackknife.
Also looks like a 2 part transporter with cars on both front and rear sections rather than an Artic with a transporter trailer. Maybe one of the lorry drivers on here can say if that is more or less prone to jackknifing.
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - Tigger
I know that when I'm towing my caravan, passing car transporters are the vehicles most likely to trigger instability. The windflows around them are complex.

There's also quite a lot of weight up high. I know that I wouldn't like to drive one!
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - RichardW
That looks like one of the local outfits that buys up crashed cars and strips them. I expect the cars on the deck were already wrecked. Given that there is an Ice Warning sign in the left of the pic, no doubt it just got away from him on a slippery surface. Probably lucky it didn't end up on its side!!
 Car Transporter - what happened?? - Pat
I don't think that's a fire at all, it looks like the breakdown vehicle's lights to me and there appears to be a couple of cars of the top deck of the main unit too.

It's not a jack knife, just a skid which can happen to anyone on sheet ice and theat configuration is not the easiest to control at the best of times.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 23 Jan 18 at 14:15
>>That looks like one of the local outfits that buys up crashed cars and strips them.

Ha ha that thought never occurred to me!!
See the very first car on the bottom - the MERC SUV thing - one of my neighbours took delivery of a brand new one of these in that colour two weeks ago. His private plate was on it.
Noticed that last week, since we have had the snow, that it has been replaced on his driveway by a 67 plate 3 door Merc.

I wonder if this is his car!!!
Latest Forum Posts