Motoring Discussion > Looooong stay car parking ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 15

Looooong stay car parking ... - Hard Cheese
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42789879

The car park itself is er, was an interesting concept. An experiences parking there?
 Looooong stay car parking ... - PeterS
Those type of car parks were everywhere in Japan when we live in Yokohama way back... never experienced any problems. Indeed, a smaller version was fitted in the basement of our office, and it was relentlessly efficient. I drove to work most days and it was very straightforward. Ours was unmanned...you just drove onto the ‘tray’, got out of the car and swiped your fob. It then tucked the car away, with the reverse process retrieving it. And that was in 2001. So quite why the Scots couldn’t get it to work I don’t know. Parking (groan...) the operational aspects, I do struggle to see how it can ever have been a commercially sound proposition in Edinburgh though, where land values can only be a fraction of those in the Tokyo Metroplitan area...?
 Looooong stay car parking ... - bathtub tom
There's a similar arrangement here: goo.gl/maps/hGKzREgYrXS2

Although on a much smaller scale and I don't know if it extends beyond the two stories visible.
 Looooong stay car parking ... - Duncan
>> There's a similar arrangement here: goo.gl/maps/hGKzREgYrXS2

Nice reflection of the Google camera car if you swivel the thing round.
There might be another layer of cars underground...certainly that’s how a similar installation at our apartment block worked.
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42789879
>> The car park itself is er, was an interesting concept. An experiences parking there?

So what are the four cars visible? I reckon I've nailed them all and even owned them!
 Looooong stay car parking ... - The Melting Snowman
On the right it looks like a Fiat Uno and a Fiesta.
On the left Metro and something else.
I was wrong, you can read the registration of the LH white car in the foreground: E742 VGA. That's a Fiat Punto. I reckon the RH white car in the foreground's also a Punto, but all the
F55? VSG registrations come up as Nissans.........
I reckon they're both Maestros behind them.
 Looooong stay car parking ... - Ted

Surely 'E' is too early for a Punto ? I can't recall seeing one earlier than 'M'. Introduced in 1993. We had an 'R 1700 Diesel...storming car, used to tow a 12ft caravan at 45 MPG'.
 Looooong stay car parking ... - rtj70
First Punto was 1993:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fiat_Punto_55_S_1998_(15467811979).jpg

Fiat Uno.
>> I was wrong, you can read the registration of the LH white car in the
>> foreground: E742 VGA. That's a Fiat Punto. I reckon the RH white car in the
>> foreground's also a Punto, but all the
>> F55? VSG registrations come up as Nissans.........
>> I reckon they're both Maestros behind them.
>>

On the Fiat front, my first UNO was A530UGA, so maybe registered in the same area as the Fiat in question ;). My second (and last one) was K reg. The UNO was certainly not available on an ‘E’ plate, and I think that was before the DVLA started selling ‘cherished’ registrations of that type?
>> The UNO was certainly not available on an ‘E’ plate, and I think that was
>> before the DVLA started selling ‘cherished’ registrations of that type?
>>

"E" was '87 to '88. The Uno was around '84 to '94 so definitely available on a "E" plate ...
Sorry...typing too quickly. I meant that the Punto wasn’t available on an E plate...my UNOs were A and K plates, so covering the E reg as well. In fact I almost bought an E reg one instead of the A. But it was a beige, 3 door, 45 ex driviving instructors car that had done 100k miles in 2 years. I decided a lower mileage, older, red 55 Super with a sunroof was more my style!
 Looooong stay car parking ... - commerdriver
>> On the Fiat front, my first UNO was A530UGA, so maybe registered in the same
>> area as the Fiat in question ;).
>>
In the old days when the last 2 letters showed the location, GA was always a Glasgow plate
 Looooong stay car parking ... - Roger.
When I was selling cars, in Pembrokeshire, it was always easier to sell one with the local "DE" plate.
Latest Forum Posts